HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:14 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
908 Posts
Rear Wing

Here are a couple pictures of the rear wing.

The horizontal wing is plywood, with 2 4-40 threaded bolts inserted about 1" into the leading edges and super glued into the wing. Right now there is just a single attachment point for the horizontal wing. I am probably going to have to add something to support the horizontal wing a bit further back. I don't think it will stay in one place once the boat is bouncing around. I can make it fairly tight, but the vertical wings are carbon fiber and more or less hollow. If I tighten it down too much I might crush the vertical wing. I will need to figure out something for that while still allowing for angle adjustment on the horizontal wing.

The braces are 2-56 rods with a snap clevis on one end and a ball link on the other. The ball link is screwed and glued into the transom. The vertical fin has a bit of sailing hardware from Sails Etc to hold the clevis. I really like that fitting on the tail. Overall the rear wing is nice and solid now.
cyberhoops is offline Find More Posts by cyberhoops
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2013, 06:03 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
908 Posts
First Test Day

For the club, this was the first open water test day of the season, but I am not ready to race, so I just worked on the boat today.

I did get the stuffing tube installed, the servo in place, drilled a hole for the water outlet, cut the drive shaft to length, and generally stayed busy working on the details.

I did solder an extra tube on the outside of my stuffing tube to fit over the back of the strut, rather than insert the 1/4" tube into the back of the strut. I doubt I have the strut perfectly placed, and when the tube goes into the strut it is hard to adjust. I am hoping that this way is easier to adjust.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:14 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
908 Posts
Turbine Exhaust

Well, the FliteMetal guys have yet to deliver after a month of waiting - so I went with plan B.

MicroScale Industries has a compound called Micro Metal Foil Adhesive. It looks a bit like runny Elmer's glue. You apply it to aluminum foil, wait for it to dry, then apply the aluminum foil by rubbing over it with a q-tip.

It took two pieces to get it wrapped, and you can see the edge between the pieces, but it is a shiny aluminum look.
Last edited by cyberhoops; Mar 09, 2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:07 AM
Bucharest, RO
Joined May 2009
1,981 Posts
Try this approach, it will be a lot easier...
http://www.arcair.com/tnt1/101-200/t...-Brown/00.shtm
or
http://www.arcair.com/TnT-archives/BMF/01.shtm
and this is the best paint for it:
http://alclad2.com/finishes/regular/
look for the "jet exhaust".
CornelP is offline Find More Posts by CornelP
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:37 AM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
908 Posts
Progress

Since I got all of the hardware located, except for the turn fin, I moved on to some paint. I started with the cowling, since I need to paint that before I can put in the cockpit glass. I already had one full can of yellow, plus a partially empty yellow from some previous projects. I used the partial can on the cowling since it only has a small amount of yellow. That went pretty nicely. The decals are really fragile with the little swoosh bits and they took some effort to get them applied. The driver's name was also a really thin little bit of vinyl, and almost got twisted getting it to the boat.. but it all worked out.

Then I started painting the hull, and it didn't take long to realize I had two different colors of yellow. I checked around at the local auto supply places that carry the "Perfect Match" paint, but no yellow. So - I had to order more of the color used on the cowling which puts things on hold for a while.

I guess that will give me more time to consider the windshield and driver...
Old Mar 13, 2013, 03:00 AM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2006
190 Posts
Lookin great. I remembered this famous photo of the T-Plus twin wing after a skid fin issue.
RayR is online now Find More Posts by RayR
Last edited by RayR; Mar 13, 2013 at 03:22 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:13 AM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
908 Posts
Windshield

I got the vac-u-formed windshield last night, from Mitch Dillard from Classic Thunder and hydroscale.
( http://www.hydroscalecreations.com )

I trimmed out the basic form, placed it on top of the cowling and ran a tape line around the windshield where it needed to be trimmed, which is just above the red pin stripe It took just a couple tweaks to trim it to fit, and it just slides in from behind. I like the result - a nice clean fit.

Now a bit of clear silicone to hold it in place, and then some kind of driver figure in the cockpit should complete the cowling part of the build.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:36 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
2,891 Posts
Great work there Cyber. Looks cool.
785boats is online now Find More Posts by 785boats
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:14 AM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
908 Posts
The paint arrived and even a bit earlier than I expected so I was able to work more on the boat.

Here are some pictures with the boat ready for re-installation of the hardware. It is starting to look like a boat, and just in time since the race is tomorrow. Some testing time would be nice, but you can't have everything. I can probably get in few laps before racing starts.

The boat weighs in a 4.5 pounds painted with no hardware in the boat.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:52 PM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
2,891 Posts
Man, you've gotta be proud of that. Looks brilliant.
Good luck on it's first race. I don't know about you, but for an untested boat, I prefer it to be slightly nose heavy first time out. A slightly wet boat is better than one that blows over at the end of the first straight.
All the best.
Paul.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 01:57 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
908 Posts
Hey Paul,
Thanks for the kind words, and I am totally with you on the nose heavy concept. I would like to keep it upright. Success in the first race is not about winning, but rather coming back to the dock under power after 6 laps.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 03:56 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
908 Posts
Gettting wet

Well, I got the boat wet - at least to take some pictures and make sure that it didn't leak.

I took a couple pictures and then it started sleeting - sunshine and sleet - I guess that means it is about time to start the race season.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 04:16 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Apr 2002
381 Posts
I always liked that boat great job Jim
JimClark is online now Find More Posts by JimClark
Old Mar 23, 2013, 06:26 AM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
2,891 Posts
Sweeeet! Looks like the real thing.
Just adding to the pic posted by RayR. This is not the way to tip your props. I've always liked this one.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 09:52 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
5,806 Posts
I've been quietly watching so as not to clutter up the build but now that it's finished have to say that is one really nice looking job. Thumb up cyber.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My "Jet Set"