HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Sep 2012
8 Posts
Discussion
Cellpro 6PL - Help needed! *Newbie*

Hi,

I am currently making my way back into model flying after a long time (I last flew in 93), trying to get my head round all the changes!

I am going to be very shortly ordering a Cellpro 6PL, as I want a charger which will cover all my possible charging needs for now and the future. I am a little lost into what accessories I will need. I also noticed the 6PL comes bundled with different accessories (cables and USB etc). I want to try and minimise future costs so getting the kit right now is essential for me (also I have a decent amount saved and may not access to the same later once I start buying other models etc!). I understand the charger is overkill for the below but I plan to fly a mixed range of IC and Electric models, the electric models can be used when the noise curfew is in place at my club!

So what I currently would like to charge;

JR XG11 -Transmitter battery
6.4V Li-Fe battery 2F1400 (1400mA)

Overlander Eneloop 2500mAh 4.v Nimh - Receiver battery
http://www.f1hobbies.com/shop.php?id=5615&level=

12v field battery
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRAMAX-1...item19ce75cd59

3S 2200mAh Hi-Energy 25c Lipo (Deans, this is for my Align starter)
http://www.rcworld.co.uk/acatalog/Hi-Energy-LiPos.html

My questions which you can hopefully help with!

What adapters do I need to charge them via the Cellpro 6 and what combo pack and/or additional adapters would work out best?
http://www.revolectrix.com/which_PL8_combo.htm

I am thinking to get the MPA (possibly in the combo pack) to cover the LiPo's but I am unsure if this also covers the other batteries listed above as I see the MPA has a 'Tx' and 'Rx' battery connection but I unsure if these are a standard fitment across all brands? Also do you need to be in parallel to use the MPA or can it also charge single packs?

If the MPA doesn't fit the JR Tx battery and Receiver battery, what do I need?

What adapter do I need to charge my field battery?

What is an ideal power source for this?

I hope someone can help me try to figure this out!

Thanks

Rob
Robert the Bruce is offline Find More Posts by Robert the Bruce
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:00 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,006 Posts
The USB is a must. It makes setup and tuning charger settings and presets easy. Plus the logging is quite useful. The USB is also how you will get future firmware updates. These are important as the firmware update is more likely to contain feature enhancements than code fixes.

The MPA is good for all packs that use the JST-XH style connector. You can charge 1 to 6 packs on it with the Powerlab6 and no it parallel charging is not required. If your other packs had JST-XH connectors, you could charge those as well, just change the preset to NiMh, A123 etc.

Unfortunately those other batteries you want to charge are using a variety of different connectors. You will need to pickup some bare 4mm male bullets and make your own connector. Easier that it sounds. The Eneloops look like they have a standard male servo connector. You could get a standard female pigtail and wire the red and black wires into the 4mm bullets then plug it into the Powerlab.

For the Pb battery, it depends on what connectors it has. In the picture it looks like spades. Again make your own connector and terminates with 4mm bullets. Or install a short cable on the Pb battery that ends in a Deans. Then use that to connect to the MPA. Add a mating Deans to the device its used with at the field.

For the starter battery, I cannot tell from the image what kind of balance connector is on it. If a JST-XH you are good to go with the MPA. If not, I'd a better image of the connector.

For supplies the Meanwells are nice, but expensive. Many are using used server supplies that are very robust and reliable. Lots of good info on setting these up here in the batteries and charger subforum. For plug and play server supplies here are a couple options.

Mark Forsyth http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1563369
FeatherMerchant http://feathermerchantrc.com/
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dual Powerlab Case Project
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:09 AM
Joined Sep 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
The USB is a must. It makes setup and tuning charger settings and presets easy. Plus the logging is quite useful. The USB is also how you will get future firmware updates. These are important as the firmware update is more likely to contain feature enhancements than code fixes.

The MPA is good for all packs that use the JST-XH style connector. You can charge 1 to 6 packs on it with the Powerlab6 and no it parallel charging is not required. If your other packs had JST-XH connectors, you could charge those as well, just change the preset to NiMh, A123 etc.

Unfortunately those other batteries you want to charge are using a variety of different connectors. You will need to pickup some bare 4mm male bullets and make your own connector. Easier that it sounds. The Eneloops look like they have a standard male servo connector. You could get a standard female pigtail and wire the red and black wires into the 4mm bullets then plug it into the Powerlab.

For the Pb battery, it depends on what connectors it has. In the picture it looks like spades. Again make your own connector and terminates with 4mm bullets. Or install a short cable on the Pb battery that ends in a Deans. Then use that to connect to the MPA. Add a mating Deans to the device its used with at the field.

For the starter battery, I cannot tell from the image what kind of balance connector is on it. If a JST-XH you are good to go with the MPA. If not, I'd a better image of the connector.

For supplies the Meanwells are nice, but expensive. Many are using used server supplies that are very robust and reliable. Lots of good info on setting these up here in the batteries and charger subforum. For plug and play server supplies here are a couple options.

Mark Forsyth http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1563369
FeatherMerchant http://feathermerchantrc.com/
Thanks Gregor, looks like its a bundle of home made connectors!
Robert the Bruce is offline Find More Posts by Robert the Bruce
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:41 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert the Bruce View Post
Thanks Gregor, looks like its a bundle of home made connectors!
For most users, the off-the-shelf adatpers will do the trick. But in cases like yours having the raw components and the know-how to whip your own adapters will save you time and let you get more from the charger.

I recommend that anyone who is enclined, to stock up on spare wires, connectors, heatshrink,etc and learn all of the wiring schemes. When I retire a pack, or swap out connectors, I always keep the spare in a parts bin. You would be surprised how often those come in handy down the road. For the self-starter, pinouts and wiring schemes are included in both Powerlab manuals.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dual Powerlab Case Project