HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:48 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1 Posts
CaptJac,

I understand flight schiool has resumed. Please put me back on schedule for lesson 1. I have completed all homework and ready to move on to practical.

Regards, Low
Skype- Sparkslow2
sparkslow2 is offline Find More Posts by sparkslow2
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:06 AM
Retired Old Guy
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Precision Target ?

whitehedr is offline Find More Posts by whitehedr
Last edited by whitehedr; Sep 27, 2012 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Found the right place to ask my question so I moved it
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:17 AM
Retired Old Guy
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukinross View Post
Was wondering if anyone can help me? I am toying with having the rudder/tail and throttle on the same stick? Is this uncommon and should I avoid trying to learn helis this way??
They already are on the same stick.

Left stick is throttle/pitch You push the stick forward and get more throttle/collective, move it right the NOSE YAWS to the right, move it left the NOSE YAWS to the left. The front back movement simulates the collective/throttle control of the real helicopter and the right/left movement of the stick simulates movement of the anti-torque pedals of the real helicopter

Also I think it is bad habit to be thinking of what the tail is doing. I think it is more important to understand what the NOSE of the aircraft is doing.

RWW
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:09 AM
Joined Sep 2012
24 Posts
Ok. So am I mode 1 if my throttle is on the right?
Lukinross is offline Find More Posts by Lukinross
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:51 AM
Retired Old Guy
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukinross View Post
Ok. So am I mode 1 if my throttle is on the right?
That depends on the other function that is on the stick. If you move the right stick left/right and you get Aileron (right/left cyclic) you have a Mode 1 configuration. If you move the stick and get right/left and you get Rudder (yaw) movement you have a Mode 3 configuration.

Mode 3 is what I would call a mirror image of Mode 2. Mode 1 moves the throttle to the right stick and elevator to the left stick. That seems to me to be all wrong. However there are no right or wrong ways of doing the config.

Where are you located and have you ever flown before?

Here in the United States Mode 2 is pretty much the only config you will see. I am not saying that everybody uses Mode 2, just that MOST pilots use Mode 2.

I believe Mode 1 is more common in Europe. Notice I said "I Believe".

If you have never flown before you should probably learn the config that is prevelant in your area of the world.

Your original question was about putting the rudder/Tail on the same stick as the throttle. To me that is the natural place for it because you now have the cyclic controls on the same stick. If you are going to fly in a Mode 1 area I would not change it if you are possibly going to get help from established flyers. If you are alone and have to learn on your own then I would set it up for Mode 2. Just because that is more natural for me. If you are more comfortable with the throttle on the right stick I would consider Mode 3 because I like the cyclic controls on the same stick.

Whew, a rather long winded discussion. I hope I dazzled you with brilliance rather than baffle you with Bull.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:11 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehedr View Post

If you have never flown before you should probably learn the config that is prevelant in your area of the world.
In my opinion, Mode 2 is the only appropriate layout for helicopters (unless possibly if you're left-handed). The reason is because of how you fly them... throttle control does not need to be as precise as cyclic control - therefore you want cyclic on the right and throttle on the left. Since cyclic involves two axes which really are continuous, you want them together on the same stick.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:11 PM
Retired Old Guy
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
In my opinion, Mode 2 is the only appropriate layout for helicopters (unless possibly if you're left-handed). The reason is because of how you fly them... throttle control does not need to be as precise as cyclic control - therefore you want cyclic on the right and throttle on the left. Since cyclic involves two axes which really are continuous, you want them together on the same stick.
I agree with your reasoning 100% Jas. My only concern with the posters original question is where is he learning to fly. That further evolves to who will be there to help him, if anyone. If there are a multitude of Mode 1 flyers then he should probably try Mode 1. If there is no one within 500 or for that matter even 100 miles then Mode 2 or Mode 3 should be the choice. All the cyclic controls on the same stick for sure. I personally wonder how Mode 1 and Mode 4 EVER saw the light of day.

RWW
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:17 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,075 Posts
Quote:
I agree with your reasoning 100% Jas. My only concern with the posters original question is where is he learning to fly. That further evolves to who will be there to help him, if anyone. If there are a multitude of Mode 1 flyers then he should probably try Mode 1. If there is no one within 500 or for that matter even 100 miles then Mode 2 or Mode 3 should be the choice. All the cyclic controls on the same stick for sure. I personally wonder how Mode 1 and Mode 4 EVER saw the light of day.

RWW
I'm not sure why you would want to learn from people who are doing it wrong.

Mode 1 (and why it's #1) is a remnant from the evolution of radios. The first radio had only a button on it - pushing the button cycled the rudder from left to center to right and back to left again. When two-channel control arrived, the rudder was still the most important control, so they put it on the right, and elevator on the left - things evolved from there. So, that's why it makes sense and why it's number 1. It is still a stupid way to control a helicopter though
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:33 PM
Retired Old Guy
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Quote:
i'm not sure why you would want to learn from people who are doing it wrong.

Made me chuckle.

RWW
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:38 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,075 Posts
Quote:
Made me chuckle.

RWW
Good, because it was actually a joke
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Sep 2012
24 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for all your feedback I am in Australia. I bought a dx6i and I have no heli yet. I reckon the cyclic control would be easier on the right but it is on the left... As my throttle is definitely on the right.

I have never flown and am very keen to learn properly from the start so I don't learn too many bad mistakes.

Cheers Luke
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:48 PM
Retired Old Guy
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Is there any local people available to help you get started? Local hobby shop, local flying field? If not then I would look at changing the the Tx to mode 2. I think you will learn much quicker if you do.

If you have never flown I recommend the Blade mQX as a start for your first flying machine. Very capable and rugged machine. It is a great trainer and a hoot to fly.

Do you have a sim yet? If not, Phoenix would be my recommendation. That way you can participate with CaptJac in his Sim School.

RWW
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:45 PM
Joined Sep 2012
24 Posts
I have Phoenix4. Will google how to convert to mode 2.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:35 AM
Joined Sep 2012
24 Posts
2nd thoughts. Its Saying that mode 1 is more common in Aust. so might stick with that.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:45 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,882 Posts
Whatever mode you learn is the correct one - there is no wrong mode. Just make sure whatever mode you learn is the one you want to stay with. Once you start training in that mode the brain is wired and it is nearly impossible to un-wire it.
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member