HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:47 PM
South East, UK
Joined Jul 2005
42 Posts
Discussion
Modding a Zagi SI

I'm getting a zagi si kit and converting it to brushless straight away. The reason I'm doing this and not getting the zagi 480-si is because I don't want to use the supplied canopy and intend to machine my own motor mount. Also the range of easily available wing kits in the uk seems to be a lot smaller than the us. I have a few questions it would be great to get some advice on.

1) I need to determine the thrust line for the motor, any advice on doing this without purchasing a canopy?

2) I have a speed 1000kv 600 inrunner motor that weights about 200g which I used in a sports glider. Is this a little a little ambitious to use with the zagi?

3) what's the opinion on adding a cross member to a wing? Is wood a decent alternative to CF?

Any other mod suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated.
alexvm is offline Find More Posts by alexvm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:21 AM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Jul 2009
298 Posts
Hi Alex, noticed you did not receive a reply. Strange as the Zagi is a very popular model. I am also requiring some info. I would say the motor would be fine for a Zagi. I have installed a hard wood spar (spruce) also a 6inch by 3/4in by 1/8 ply spar through the wing join. I am also converting the glider mode Zagi to electric and would like to know if the pusher motor requires down thrust. Here's hoping for an answer pal. Cheers
Fly Boy3 is offline Find More Posts by Fly Boy3
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:40 PM
United Kingdom, Whitstable
Joined Jan 2013
33 Posts
I have had both the electric and am still flying the slope version, if memory serves me correctly the motor when sat in the pre moulded mount sits the motor level. Even if I was not aware of the build before I think I would be inclined to sit the motor level anyway. Just because if you was to put any type of thrust direction to the motor IMO it would make it hard to trim in flight because there is not a lot of distance between the motor and nose. Having flown the electric they are very sensitive to any inputs unless you have duel rates set up or you have reduced the throws.

Hope this helps

Scott
crasher1980 is offline Find More Posts by crasher1980