New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2016, 12:03 AM
Find More Posts by tripn4days
All Thumbs
Joined Jun 2012
145 Posts
Discussion
The BYOB Inspired BYOM

So I started off with a BYOB because of it's smooth, attractive, and classy lines, but didnt much care for the flight characteristics of the biplane. Not sure if it's the bi-wing design in general, or what seemed like a short fuse on this BYOB, or what, but still, the BYOB is GORGEOUS! So I simply had to come up with something that shared her lines. I stretched the distance between the wing and tail (is there a technical name for that?) and reused the wing shape, widening the span. Then one thing led to another, and pretty soon I'm building a full fuse

Nonetheless, I was really happy with the results and I wanted to share...

I ended up creating this beauty as a birthday gift for my father. We used to fly planes when I was a kid. He is currently building (yes, building) an actual plane right now (RV-6) but hasn't flown RC in 20 years. I figured I'd build him something he could fiddle with on a whim

I literally finished the plane about 10 minutes before we had to leave for his BD party, so I gifted it to him unflown. Originally I intended this to be RET only, but at the last second, as I was heading out the door, I grabbed a pair of servos--something kept telling me I would want ailerons.

Specifications:

30" Wingspan
Blue Wonder on 350mAh 7.4V 2S
AUW 8.7 oz
4 x 4g Servos
8x5 prop
(the hand trimmed 5x4 pictured didnt have enough oomph)

After a few low-to-the ground RET test flights in a tree infested backyard, my suspicions were confirmed and we set out to install a set of ailerons. Next set of test flights looked promising! We promptly headed out to the local park, where my pops insisted on flying it first Turns out it's perhaps a bit touchy as a trainer, but while he was flying it in a hilariously erratic manner, he did mange to keep it in the air and land it in one piece, so admittedly, I was impressed.

Then he handed me the sticks and WOW this baby was a peach! Sporty, great profile, stable (it was gusty winds from two directions) and FUN! Looks like I'm gonna have to build another one...

Anyhow, just figured I'd share. This plane is by far the most well-sorted scratch build I've come up with. And interestingly, this was also the ONLY plane I've ever built that wound up being PERFECTLY BALANCED... Usually I have to add some (ocassionally a lot) of nose weight, but this baby was spot on!

I cant wait to build another...
tripn4days is offline Find More Posts by tripn4days
Last edited by tripn4days; Apr 23, 2016 at 12:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2016, 12:21 AM
Find More Posts by tripn4days
All Thumbs
Joined Jun 2012
145 Posts
tripn4days is offline Find More Posts by tripn4days
Last edited by tripn4days; Apr 23, 2016 at 12:27 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 08:51 AM
Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,486 Posts
Very nice, so... Where are the plans?
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne