New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2015, 11:10 AM
Find More Posts by cpaine
Canada, ON, Paris
Joined Mar 2007
241 Posts
Discussion
EF-1 - eflite60esc... caution

we got to some EF1 racing up here in Ontario. I was having a pretty good day, and i was flying some fast times!
but in my last heat, about 7 laps in the motor just quit. Luckily i run a separate RX pack, and i could land. The solder on the power connection (esc side) melted... actually welded the 2 eflite plastic connectors together.
bad luck on my part? is the esc not doing its job, and getting to hot? should i fix or throw it out??
cpaine is offline Find More Posts by cpaine
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2015, 01:19 PM
Find More Posts by steveburns
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jan 2005
777 Posts
If the solder on the connector melted it sounds much more like a connector problem rather than a ESC problem but a little more information would help such as does the ESC still work if you put a new connector on? How much current are you pulling? What connectors are you using and were they soldered on properly, tight or lose to connect (the metal contact not the plastic part)?

Steve.
steveburns is online now Find More Posts by steveburns
Old May 26, 2015, 02:25 PM
Canada, ON, Paris
Joined Mar 2007
241 Posts
factory solder on esc side, my solder on Battery side.
eflite connectors (ec3?) tight connection.
Current? good question 800-850 watts... (this isn't a specialty of mine)
not sure if it still works... have got into it yet ....
Old May 26, 2015, 02:54 PM
Find More Posts by Edhs
the seventh planet
Joined Dec 2010
605 Posts
Ec3 on 800w is in my opinion asking for trouble.

If it's the type with the crimped barrel rolled around the post I've also pushed them to failure. Even the solid split style though that's a lot of current for a 3mm connector. You would be faster with better connectors as the connector is waisting energy making heat��
Edhs is online now Find More Posts by Edhs
Old May 26, 2015, 03:15 PM
Find More Posts by ronin4740
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
4,293 Posts
Amps in flight usually settle in around 50-55A. Constant current is usually around 600W or lower. While it's probably over the spec for EC3's, XT60's and Deans/T-Connectors we run them because they're lighter than the next step up - XT90's and 4mm bullets.

Sorry to hear about the ESC failure. I seem to recall the one and only Eflite 60A ESC I purchased going up in smoke after a couple of flights in an F-86 model without waiting long enough for the ESC to cool. I remember getting that plane down in one piece - not because I had a separate flight pack but because the ESC failed on the motor side but not the BEC side of the circuit.

I'd suggest a HobbyKing plush 60A or Castle Ice Lite 75A ESC to replace it. I've run both and neither has let me down thus far.
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Old May 26, 2015, 03:35 PM
DHG
Find More Posts by DHG
DHG
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Jul 2010
633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin4740 View Post
I'd suggest a HobbyKing plush 60A or Castle Ice Lite 75A ESC to replace it. I've run both and neither has let me down thus far.
Roger that, both have been fine in my (limited) experience as well. I do run a separate radio battery just in case, though.
DHG is offline Find More Posts by DHG
Old May 26, 2015, 06:27 PM
Find More Posts by rocketsled666
Joined May 2012
275 Posts
I had an e-Flite 60A ESC fail in my CZ Cub. Luckily on the ground since I was using the BEC. Motor cogged a couple of times when I throttled up, and then smoke started coming out of the cowl. The only thing that kept the damage down was that the power leads going in to the ESC melted the solder and pulled out when I yanked the battery. The plane had flow a dozen flights without issue. It was all 100% as-delivered from Horizon, I did no soldering or make modifications. Learned later this was not a totally unique experience. IMO, definitely a defect in the design of the ESC. I don't use e-Flite ESCs anymore.
rocketsled666 is online now Find More Posts by rocketsled666
Old May 27, 2015, 08:10 AM
Canada, ON, Paris
Joined Mar 2007
241 Posts
thanks a lot guys. looks like i will be upgrading to bigger connections! it makes total sense... those ec3 are thin, and are in cheap plastic. I like the idea of upgrading to the castle stuff, but then there is the cost issue... but you get what you pay for!....
I will take my free airplane and chalk this up to still learning!
Thanks again!
Old May 28, 2015, 01:18 PM
Find More Posts by ronin4740
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
4,293 Posts
BTW, where did you find a Miss Lynn kit/ARF? It's a very nice looking airframe!
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Old May 28, 2015, 05:12 PM
Canada, ON, Paris
Joined Mar 2007
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin4740 View Post
BTW, where did you find a Miss Lynn kit/ARF? It's a very nice looking airframe!
Thanks ronin... The one in my picks was a kit from Matney models, that I modified to have a canopy and modified cowl to fit a 2" spinner. A lot of work actually. Folded the wing (my fault, trying to be light) but it was fast.