New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2015, 06:07 PM
Find More Posts by Jon Leary
Joined Mar 2014
27 Posts
Discussion
RCdesktop virus?

Norton cleaned my computer yesterday and deleted RCdesktop. It and another program were infected. Before the cleanup if windows was opened from the desktop as opposed to windows 8 start it would go to some adware site that was really hard to get rid of without pulling the plug. Now it seems to work fine.
Jon Leary is offline Find More Posts by Jon Leary
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2015, 08:39 AM
Find More Posts by Mr Rowl
United Kingdom, England, Oxford
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
I'm confused by what you mean by "if windows was opened from the desktop as opposed to windows 8 start"...
Mr Rowl is offline Find More Posts by Mr Rowl
Old May 05, 2015, 11:49 AM
Find More Posts by Imageek2
Bad command or file name
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Jan 2013
493 Posts
I am assuming he means the desktop version of Internet Explorer vs. the Windows 8 tile version. The desktop version was infected the tile version was not.
Imageek2 is online now Find More Posts by Imageek2
Old May 05, 2015, 12:01 PM
Find More Posts by Mr Rowl
United Kingdom, England, Oxford
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
I've just noticed that he wrote RCDesktop. What's that? Did he mean RCDeskpilot?

But generally, in my experience AV software flags up many more false positives than true positives. I've had a number of false reports, from a variety of AV packages, with my software (i.e. that I've written, and I know it is clean!), and I've had AV software flag up perfectly OK software on my machine. So if it flags up a problem, check it out, but bear in mind that it may well be in error.
Mr Rowl is offline Find More Posts by Mr Rowl