SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Thread Tools
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:38 AM
timmerflyer is offline
Find More Posts by timmerflyer
Registered User
United States, IL, Geneseo
Joined Jun 2012
25 Posts
Build Log
Finwing Penguin Build Log- NDVI UAV Imaging

To introduce myself, I currently a senior at Illinois State University in the horticulture department. To mix both my agriculture and my love of the rc hobby, I am helping to do some research in near infrared imagining, which for basic terms is a way of taking photos that shows plant heath by analyzing the infrared light that is reflected off of the surface. (For more information here is a link http://publiclab.org/wiki/ndvi)

To the aircraft, to haul to camera around I found the finwing penguin to be the perfect airframe. David used this plane in the fpv faceoff that they did several months back. The penguin has a hole already molded in the bottom to hold a downward facing camera. Which is perfect for this research. Also it does not need any reforcing compared to the skywalker and is located state side, sold by ready made rc. Which is nice so I can get replacement parts fast!.


Finally I hope you all enjoy the build. It should be fun and don't mind my apartment it is messy and small as I am a college student....
timmerflyer is offline Find More Posts by timmerflyer
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2014, 02:41 AM
mons2b is offline
Find More Posts by mons2b
Registered User
Joined Jul 2007
371 Posts
Hi Timmerflyer. Put reinforcing on the tail boom. Carbon rod next to the inside ply would be the easiest if you do it before you glue it up.
Also the Penguin is more cross wind resistant with the canopy off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmerflyer View Post
To introduce myself, I currently a senior at Illinois State University in the horticulture department. To mix both my agriculture and my love of the rc hobby, I am helping to do some research in near infrared imagining, which for basic terms is a way of taking photos that shows plant heath by analyzing the infrared light that is reflected off of the surface. (For more information here is a link http://publiclab.org/wiki/ndvi)

To the aircraft, to haul to camera around I found the finwing penguin to be the perfect airframe. David used this plane in the fpv faceoff that they did several months back. The penguin has a hole already molded in the bottom to hold a downward facing camera. Which is perfect for this research. Also it does not need any reforcing compared to the skywalker and is located state side, sold by ready made rc. Which is nice so I can get replacement parts fast!.


Finally I hope you all enjoy the build. It should be fun and don't mind my apartment it is messy and small as I am a college student....
mons2b is offline Find More Posts by mons2b
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 09:04 AM
timmerflyer is offline
Find More Posts by timmerflyer
Registered User
United States, IL, Geneseo
Joined Jun 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mons2b View Post
Hi Timmerflyer. Put reinforcing on the tail boom. Carbon rod next to the inside ply would be the easiest if you do it before you glue it up.
Also the Penguin is more cross wind resistant with the canopy off.
Do you have recommendation for the size of carbon rod? Also I was planning on using the canopy for that reason.
timmerflyer is offline Find More Posts by timmerflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 01:36 PM
mons2b is offline
Find More Posts by mons2b
Registered User
Joined Jul 2007
371 Posts
To be honest I dont have a recommendation. But someone else here suggested it and I think its a great idea. I would measure up the length and see what diameters are available and get a size you are comfortable making a space for.

Various people will argue for and against using the canopy. I can only speak from my experience. I like how it looks and how it protects camera gear. But after seeing my plane blown sideways and sometimes blown over in the air like a tumble weed I dont like using it now. My penguin cuts through the air better without it. Its upto you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmerflyer View Post
Do you have recommendation for the size of carbon rod? Also I was planning on using the canopy for that reason.
mons2b is offline Find More Posts by mons2b
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2014, 08:07 PM
norberto83 is offline
Find More Posts by norberto83
Registered User
United States, FL, Key West
Joined Feb 2008
276 Posts
Hello

Hi timmerflyer,check my thread,you my find a lot of info here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2084257

good luck.
norberto83 is offline Find More Posts by norberto83
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:59 PM
Ascended is offline
Find More Posts by Ascended
Registered User
Ascended's Avatar
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined May 2012
637 Posts
What are you planning to use for your camera/imager?
Ascended is offline Find More Posts by Ascended
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2014, 10:39 AM
timmerflyer is offline
Find More Posts by timmerflyer
Registered User
United States, IL, Geneseo
Joined Jun 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
What are you planning to use for your camera/imager?
I have canon a490 that I already have taken the IR filter out of and using a blue flash gel on the outside. Here is a inscrutable on how to convert the camera. http://www.instructables.com/id/Turn...er-u/?ALLSTEPS
timmerflyer is offline Find More Posts by timmerflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2014, 07:56 PM
Issus is offline
Find More Posts by Issus
Registered User
Issus's Avatar
Joined May 2012
226 Posts
timmerflyer, if you're going to be using NDVI for research, I'd suggest you go a different route. Blue doesn't work anywhere near as well as red for comparison to IR when looking at crop stress or chlorophyll amount. Blue has far less differential between stress and healthy than red.

If you can shoot raw, use a Roscolux Medium Yellow R10 (or Lee #100) filter, then your blue channel is IR, and all other channels have the IR component in them as well. So subtract blue from the other channels to get them back to their correct brightness levels (now very dark, but you have raw so it doesnt matter) then you can process red, green and IR. With this you can also identify species, its nowhere near as good as a hyperspectral camera or a twin camera setup, but its better than the blue filter.

I fly with a twin camera setup, two Sony RX100's or two Nikon D5200's (two aircraft) - one IR one unmodified. The two sets of images are then stitched, georeferenced and you can do all sorts of wonderful measurements off them having all 4 channels. With 20/24mpix respectively per photo, and modern low noise sensors, the ground resolution is so much better than the 5mpix hyperspectrals you can get for $5k.
Issus is offline Find More Posts by Issus
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 05:45 PM
Issus is offline
Find More Posts by Issus
Registered User
Issus's Avatar
Joined May 2012
226 Posts
So, I have to admit, I may have been a bit hasty on my opinion. Blue + IR still isnt great, but its not as bad as opensource software would make you believe.

I spent 6hrs yesterday and performance enhancing writing some software to process NDVI from my $60 nikon point and shoot i converted to IR for fun over a year ago. Using Lee 118 or 119 filter, these are my results I can clearly see plant stress, its not as good as R+IR, especially when you have the option to bring in blue or green as well to determine if something is inorganic... but its not bad.

The two which look very similar are with different filters.
Issus is offline Find More Posts by Issus
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 06:33 PM
timmerflyer is offline
Find More Posts by timmerflyer
Registered User
United States, IL, Geneseo
Joined Jun 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issus View Post
So, I have to admit, I may have been a bit hasty on my opinion. Blue + IR still isnt great, but its not as bad as opensource software would make you believe.

I spent 6hrs yesterday and performance enhancing writing some software to process NDVI from my $60 nikon point and shoot i converted to IR for fun over a year ago. Using Lee 118 or 119 filter, these are my results I can clearly see plant stress, its not as good as R+IR, especially when you have the option to bring in blue or green as well to determine if something is inorganic... but its not bad.

The two which look very similar are with different filters.


Issus, thanks for the information. As of now I will stick with a blue filter its was the easiest to find and the most documented. But it sure seems that you know what your talking about, I may need your experience in the future.

Quick update, I the motor came in from heads up rc. It should give the plane enough power.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Firepowe...otor-C-311.htm

Also the RX came in last week I am using the frsky D8R-XP since it has the ability for ppm and rssi out. It will keep the wire count down and signal strength to the ground station. In my downtime I have been running up on arduplane, I am familiar will arducopter but surprisingly the two are quite different. Hopefully I will start installing the servos in the plane this week and there will be some photos to follow. Thanks everyone for your advice.
timmerflyer is offline Find More Posts by timmerflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:58 PM
Issus is offline
Find More Posts by Issus
Registered User
Issus's Avatar
Joined May 2012
226 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your build.

If you have any B/IR NDVI pictures, I'd love to give them a shot with my program, everything is pretty parched and dead here with it being summer.
Issus is offline Find More Posts by Issus
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 12:42 PM
timmerflyer is offline
Find More Posts by timmerflyer
Registered User
United States, IL, Geneseo
Joined Jun 2012
25 Posts
I got some time today to work on the penguin. I installed both aileron servos and the rudder servo. The control horns are very nice and have plywood on both sides so there is zero chance of the foam giving away. But I don't know if I trust the pushrod holders even if I really tighten the screw there is still play in the control surface. I might switch those out for something more reliable. I also put some tape on the top of the aileron to give some strength to the hinge. As I said earlier the motor came in from headsuprc and got that mounted to the motor mount. And finally a picture of brains project is the apm 2.5 I got this version from readytofly quads.
timmerflyer is offline Find More Posts by timmerflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 06:25 PM
sjgoulet is offline
Find More Posts by sjgoulet
SSP#1
sjgoulet's Avatar
United States, MO, Louisburg
Joined Apr 2007
742 Posts
Did you center your servos before you installed them in your wings and tail? iv'e caught myself even after all these years of flying sailplanes sometimes forgetting to center the servos before installing them, only to have to take them back out. I learned a long time ago to put shrink tubing or tape before gluing them or taping them in.

Steve
sjgoulet is offline Find More Posts by sjgoulet
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 06:42 PM
timmerflyer is offline
Find More Posts by timmerflyer
Registered User
United States, IL, Geneseo
Joined Jun 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjgoulet View Post
Did you center your servos before you installed them in your wings and tail? iv'e caught myself even after all these years of flying sailplanes sometimes forgetting to center the servos before installing them, only to have to take them back out. I learned a long time ago to put shrink tubing or tape before gluing them or taping them in.

Steve

I did center all the servos before installing them. They actually feel fairly smooth but all I have used before or cheapie hobbyking servos
timmerflyer is offline Find More Posts by timmerflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 06:45 PM
sjgoulet is offline
Find More Posts by sjgoulet
SSP#1
sjgoulet's Avatar
United States, MO, Louisburg
Joined Apr 2007
742 Posts
Before moving to Missouri 20 years ago i use to live up in your neck of the woods (Quad Cities) lots of nice places to fly.

Steve
sjgoulet is offline Find More Posts by sjgoulet
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Finwing Air Titan unboxing and build log jwallwhitworth FPV Aircraft 249 May 15, 2015 04:57 PM
Sold Finwing Penguin parts gromitvt10 FPV Equipment (FS/W) 5 Oct 01, 2013 12:06 PM