HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2002, 09:12 PM
McMinnville, TN
Joined May 2002
254 Posts
Bent Prop Shaft

I bent the prop shaft just barely on my speed 400 motor and I want to know if there is anyway I can bend it back. I've searched but couldn't find anything.
Air 1 is offline Find More Posts by Air 1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2002, 09:13 PM
McMinnville, TN
Joined May 2002
254 Posts
Not Prop Shaft Just motor Shaft

The motor shaft, not prop shaft.
Air 1 is offline Find More Posts by Air 1
Old Oct 26, 2002, 10:11 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,155 Posts
It won't hurt to try.....

What have you got to lose? I've done the following with some success: First, disconnect the pack! If you have a collet type prop adapter, adjust it so it's a slip fit on the shaft, then slide it up to the bend. Tighten down the collet, using an old or broken prop, and rotate by hand to see the "high side", then bend accordingly until straight(er?). I've also used an electric drill chuck (unplug the drill!) to the same end. The second method involves a brass or aluminum punch (scrap rod, polished flat on the end a bit), a hammer, and a steel block approx. 1" thick. Clamp the block in a bench vise for use as an anvil. Have someone hold the motor for you with the shaft resting on the anvil "high side" of the bend up, then rest the brass punch on the bend and tap with hammer until straightened. The brass punch won't mar the shaft, but the steel block will if you don't have it resting square on the anvil when struck. Just keep turning and tapping until done. Check any straightened shaft with a thorough run-up all RTF before flying. Hope this helps! -thumbs
fumblethumbs is offline Find More Posts by fumblethumbs