HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2008, 08:07 PM
Joined Jan 2008
441 Posts
sorry to ask the same question again but is the dihedral for the bb33 uc wing 1" under each wing tip? and 1 1/2" with one side of wing flat on table for the kfm3 wing? i'm going to write it down this time.

thanhs
gramps
gramps45 is offline Find More Posts by gramps45
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2008, 08:39 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,188 Posts
I think I posted this before, but here's mine. 'Course you have to be willing to put hot melt on the camera surface . Done this to two cheap cams so far. I screw the hxt5gm servo with a cut down arm to the piece of 1/8th ply and hot glue the ply to the cam face, insuring that the arm is setting correctly to trip the shutter button.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2008, 09:12 PM
Geaux Saints
Grafton, Il
Joined Nov 2007
1,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps45
sorry to ask the same question again but is the dihedral for the bb33 uc wing 1" under each wing tip? and 1 1/2" with one side of wing flat on table for the kfm3 wing? i'm going to write it down this time.

thanhs
gramps
BB-33 UC is 1.5 inch under each side according to Tony's plans.
KFM-3?

It appears the KFM-2 BB-33 is also 1.5 inches per side. There is only one measurement on the plans and the plans work for both wings on the BB-33 unless Tony has altered the plans recently.
I found the KFM-3 sport wing!! That is a new one for me.
It isn't marked on the plans.
Mike
Hopalong X is offline Find More Posts by Hopalong X
Last edited by Hopalong X; Jun 25, 2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 09:24 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
Here's a question for all you experienced flyiers out there. What size wheels work well for a 42" BB landing on a rough grass field? The field is mowed, but its low quality grass with some balding areas. What do you think?

BlueFFF
BlueFFF is offline Find More Posts by BlueFFF
Old Jun 25, 2008, 09:27 PM
In Rc for a LONG TIME FFAA#1
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2004
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
I think I posted this before, but here's mine. 'Course you have to be willing to put hot melt on the camera surface . Done this to two cheap cams so far. I screw the hxt5gm servo with a cut down arm to the piece of 1/8th ply and hot glue the ply to the cam face, insuring that the arm is setting correctly to trip the shutter button.
that is nice but i don't want to glue anything to the cam. i am looking for something that will fit over my cam if some one has done something that slips over the cam and is held on with rubber bands would be perfect

last
laserman is offline Find More Posts by laserman
Old Jun 25, 2008, 09:29 PM
Geaux Saints
Grafton, Il
Joined Nov 2007
1,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFFF
Here's a question for all you experienced flyiers out there. What size wheels work well for a 42" BB landing on a rough grass field? The field is mowed, but its low quality grass with some balding areas. What do you think?

BlueFFF
I have 2.25 on my SuperCub which is basically a BB-42 size fuselage. I could easily go to 2.75 and still look like a bush plane. Use the foam wheels. I have the Dubro rubber ones in a 2.5 and 2.75 and they are way too heavy.
Mike

I took the smaller SuperCub wheels and put them on my BB-33. No waste!
Old Jun 25, 2008, 09:29 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2004
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFFF

BlueFFF
if you got some long streaches that are bald ( hopefully not on your head lol ) some 1.5 to 2.0 inch wheels will work, if there is low cut grass go to 2.5 - 3 inches or 3.5 if its longer
Old Jun 25, 2008, 09:37 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,188 Posts
Blufff: My 42" sports 2.25" wheels and I fly off orchard grass cut to about 3" (pretty coarse) and they are marginal. She will want to nose over unless the grass is fresh cut. (I usually do a hand launch, don't bother with rog)

Just got a pool noodle and may try making wheels out of it as some have done, think they will come out about 3" and should be super light.

Laser: I figured that most won't want to glue their cams. Perhaps if you make the ply fit over most of the front surface and another piece over back surface screwed or rubber banded together, sandwiching cam in between. Will need a way to insure registration of servo to button, tho.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2008, 09:39 PM
Geaux Saints
Grafton, Il
Joined Nov 2007
1,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserman
if you got some long streaches that are bald ( hopefully not on your head lol ) some 1.5 to 2.0 inch wheels will work, if there is low cut grass go to 2.5 - 3 inches or 3.5 if its longer
Did you ever get that Corsair in the air?
Old Jun 25, 2008, 09:44 PM
Geaux Saints
Grafton, Il
Joined Nov 2007
1,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Just got a pool noodle and may try making wheels out of it as some have done, think they will come out about 3" and should be super light.
Now that sounds like an interesting solution. $ store is getting a visit tomorrow. ...and I have about 20 rims that need new rubber/foam!
Mike
Old Jun 25, 2008, 09:48 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2004
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopalong X
Did you ever get that Corsair in the air?
not yet just got another rx for my dx 6 ( and i am waiting for the battery booster to arrive gives the dx6 a 5.5 run time instead of 2 hour) if you have a question on that let me know on what needs to be done for this mod to your spektrum dx 6
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:05 PM
Geaux Saints
Grafton, Il
Joined Nov 2007
1,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserman
not yet just got another rx for my dx 6 ( and i am waiting for the battery booster to arrive gives the dx6 a 5.5 run time instead of 2 hour) if you have a question on that let me know on what needs to be done for this mod to your spektrum dx 6
That 2.4 stuff is too rich for my pocket book. Now if it helped my flying skills then maybe.....
Mike

I did get a short flight with my Bb-33 finally....then I dumb thumbed it on a turn. Left and down didn't work well.
Broke the motor mount and prop. It is glued back together but too much wind today.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:07 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2004
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopalong X
That 2.4 stuff is too rich for my pocket book. Now if it helped my flying skills then maybe.....
mike
real fun part of this the part is only .25 cm thick x .5 cm x .75 cm and costs only 15 $
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:41 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,000 Posts
BB33 Landing gear.

Need some input, What size wire have you guys been using for the landing gear on the BB33? I have .045 (seems way to small), .054, .060, .076 (seems way to big). I am thinking the .060 would suffice. Would this be to stiff? I have the Dubro 1-3/4" Super lites for tires. I hope they aren't to small, they looked big on the peg at the LHS but now that I have the fuse built they seem small.

Any way, what do you guys think on the gear?

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Jun 26, 2008, 12:08 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,935 Posts
Wheels for grass: larger diameter is better. There are two approaches: really skinny ones to cut through the grass (like some of the spoked park flyer wheels) or really fat ones to go on top (Trexler balloon wheels). Both approaches work. The skinny parkflyer wheels are lighter and much less expensive and lower drag.

Gear wire diameter: at least the .062 stuff (1/16 inch). Depending on how heavy your airplane is, the .078 might be better (though for that you'll have to ream out those DuBros). But then, I expect the landing gear to work and hold up on my planes, so I tend to go higher. See my post a few pages back showing an alternate gear arrangement as borrowed, unchanged, from the Stevens Aero SQuiRT and SHAFT series of models.

Dihedral for the 33 inch KFm3 sport wing: I'm starting on one of those right now. In this post Tony said "at least 1/2 inch per tip". That's about 1.7 degrees of dihedral. Obviously if you were going to go three-channel it should be more like that of the UC wing.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Last edited by BEC; Jun 26, 2008 at 12:22 AM. Reason: getting the facts straight, added gear link