HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2014, 04:36 PM
Joined Mar 2014
15 Posts
Discussion
Transmitter Lipo

So I got the recomended lipo for the turnigy 9xr and was wondering if I should treat this like any other lipo, or if I can leave it connected, or not at storage voltage. Thanks.
shambopyro is offline Find More Posts by shambopyro
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2014, 05:13 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
22,274 Posts
Transmitter lipos aren't the same as main packs used in the model.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Apr 09, 2014, 05:51 PM
Joined Mar 2014
15 Posts
could you be more specific? Thanks for the quick reply though.
shambopyro is offline Find More Posts by shambopyro
Old Apr 09, 2014, 06:14 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
22,274 Posts
You can leave it fully charged in the tx for extended periods of time and the resulting increased resistant in them won't matter much since the current demand on them isn't big like packs used for powering the motor on the model.

If you want more info on the subject the battery section of the forum might get you better answers then mine.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Apr 09, 2014, 06:14 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,098 Posts
A proper transmitter LiPo would be a low-C (usually 3C to 5C) pack. They are usually lighter and smaller than the same capacity High-C pack. The low-C packs do not suffer from puffing when stored fully charged for prolonged periods of time.

I would not recommend to use a 3S LiPo in a transmitter designed to use 8-cell NiCd or NiMH. A 3S LiPo in a transmitter maintains around 11.8-12.0V for quite awhile (several hours after being fully charged) while an 8-cell Nickel pack quickly drops below 11.5V under typical transmitter load. The higher voltage of the fully charged 3S LiPo put unnecessary thermal stress on the voltage regulators (3.3V in modern transmitters) inside the transmitter. A 3S LiFe is a much better match for such transmitters. The 3S LiFe nominal voltage of 9.9V is much closer to the 9.6V nominal for a Nickel pack.

Another advantage of LiFe is that they are a lot more stable then LiPo and as a result a lot safer.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2014, 08:06 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,052 Posts
I prefer Lithium Tx batteries and have used a 3 cell LiPo pack in my JR XP9303 for years, without issue. There are many who reduce the voltage either by charging to a lower voltage or using Radio Shack diodes, in series, to drop the fully charged voltage from 12.6v to 11.6v or so. I am now using LiFe Tx batteries. A 3 cell pack stays at 9.9v and dies not drop off until just before full discharge. Like all Lithium packs, they are light, charge fast, and the charge holds for months.

I have a DX8 with a LiPo pack. Flying almost every day, I can charge and go two months without charging again. This beats NiCad/NiMh/Eneloop.
Buschbarber is online now Find More Posts by Buschbarber