HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2014, 02:14 AM
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2011
182 Posts
Build Log
Ivan Pettigrew Twin Otter 600

At the conclusion of my last build thread I made the comment I was drafting plans for something not often modelled.
Trust me this is not what I had in mind, this is way left field from my original idea of the next build. I guess the boredom of not having a project on the go drove me to hash together something while I'm still working on the design work for other "project".
So next on the building table is the large version of Ivan's Twotter, looks like I'm going to need a larger build board for this one.
To help speed the process along a I've spent a couple of hours drafting most of the necessary flat stock parts in CAD and had them laser cut.
The build is based on Ivan's plans with a few tweaks and changes here and there using ideas and techniques learn't building the KZ4.
To make things a little different I'm contemplateing putting it on amphib floats, but we'll see how build progresses before I commit wholely to that idea.
Maxedout is offline Find More Posts by Maxedout
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:06 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,524 Posts
Your going to love the TO600!! Mine is one of my favorites to fly. It has approx. 24 flights to date. Last flight had me breaking out the nose wheel ( dumb thumbs-hehe), so a minor repair is ahead. Remember to land on the mains!!!! hehe
I run on 3s, using 4 3s/2200/25c in parallel to power two 4240-900 Turnigy's thru 40a Plush esc's. AUW is 8lbs,4ozs, power is 940watts total for good flight and takeoff power and easy 2 - 8 minute flights per set up. fwiw Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Mar 22, 2014, 04:28 PM
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2011
182 Posts
Hi Doug.

It's a good thing the nose wheel's easy to get at.
The big wing with the same airfoil as the KZ4 and many of Ivan's other designs I can well imagine it's a pussycat to fly.

Cheers
Jim
Old Mar 23, 2014, 02:25 AM
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2011
182 Posts
To crack things off I've decided to build sub assemblies that fit my current building board.
The fuselage will have to be done on a bench that's currently buried under a mountain of "stuff" which I'll move when it becomes necessary.
The first item items to hit the plans were the fin and rudder. Assembly of the units was pretty straight forward other than the usual care and attention required to ensure the leading and trailing edges are straight and aligned correctly.

Jim
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:08 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxedout View Post
Hi Doug.

It's a good thing the nose wheel's easy to get at.
The big wing with the same airfoil as the KZ4 and many of Ivan's other designs I can well imagine it's a pussycat to fly.

Cheers
Jim
I'm replacing the wire nosewheel assly with a small oleo assly from HK. No big deal really.
I used EMP 12 x 8 x 3 bladers to keep the scale appearance, even at 8lbs, the plane flies light on the wing. I reinforced the main LG area ( knowing all about the way I sometimes land -hehe), everything else built pretty much to plan.
The only real problem is with color scheme, I chose Ken Borek Air, black Ultracote is a nightmare to keep taught, soaks up heat like a sponge!! Keep us posted, always great to see another "Ivan" being done. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Mar 23, 2014, 01:31 PM
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2011
182 Posts
Yes, dark colours generally look good but like you say they can be a real bear to keep the wrinkles out of. I haven't given much thought to any colour schemes yet, there's plenty of time before that's required.

Jim
Old Mar 29, 2014, 02:15 AM
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2011
182 Posts
Since weekends are pretty much my only chance to work on this build I can see it's not going to progress a the same pace the last one did.

Today's efforts were concentrated on the horizontal stab and elevator halves.
Again it's pretty much a case of gluing symmetrical ribs to spars, adding leading and trailing edges then sanding as required.
Laying parts out on the plans tends to hide the size of this model, it's not until you starting tacking things together you get an appreciation of just how big this park flyers going to be.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 04:34 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,391 Posts
It's good to see Ivan's designs being made more accessible by laser cutting. Great progress!
Sopwith Mike is online now Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Mar 29, 2014, 02:28 PM
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2011
182 Posts
Hi Mike.

It was more a case of speeding things along with my limited free time. As we know, Ivan's designs are easy to build without the need for laser cut bits.

Jim.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 02:39 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2014
2 Posts
yes,It's good to see Ivan's designs being made more accessible by laser cutting. Great progress!
xindongnvse is offline Find More Posts by xindongnvse
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 13, 2014, 02:55 AM
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2011
182 Posts
No I haven't given up, it's just damn slow going.
To date I've only managed to get the basic side frames built and make a start on joining them together.
At the moment with no formers giving it any shape it's a weird looking assembly, you have to keep reminding yourself that something reasonable looking will emerge from this collection of sticks.
As I go I'm ironing out some minor details and tweaking the laser files for the next build, ( I'm twisting a mates arm to be the guinea pig for the next kit ).