HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2014, 06:42 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,728 Posts
Discussion
Dons ship yard open agian.

WELL ya I know The monty was going to be the last.
I just had to do one more . YOU all know how it is. BUT I am being smart useing my painters mast and taking brakes.
I just had to add one more landing craft. I pickup the Revell UDT a couple of weeks ago. Keap looking at and decided what the heck. So I started scratching again. I guess it is just in my blood. Ya i am still running the tanks BUT this UDT keap yelling ;-) OK Here it is she wlll be 16 inchs long 5 1/4 wide . Plan on runing plan on running a single set up . Nothing fancy May even concder selling it when I am done ? BUT here is the beginning . NOW Remember they all ways look rough in the beginning. I just cut the the begining of the all of the wood but still have a lot more to go but at least all of or most of the heavy cutting is done . just have to cut a deck when I get to that point. DON that Rustbucket.
Rustbucket is online now Find More Posts by Rustbucket
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:46 PM
Professional Lurker
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
661 Posts
You know, I don't really know the genesis of this type of boat. Obviously a take on the Higgin's Boat, an LCVP (or not), but which variant I know not. But this looks great! I have recently laid eyes on this model on store shelves, so I know where you're coming from. What scale will your UDT be?

I had heard you had 'closed your own doors' so to speak but am glad you are back in the saddle--always enjoy your builds. I prop my feet up and ease myself back in your general direction... watching, waiting...
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:37 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,177 Posts
Good to see you building again.

The other Don.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jan 16, 2014, 01:15 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,451 Posts
Nice to have you back, Don. Easy does it.
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Old Jan 16, 2014, 02:54 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,728 Posts
Thanks guys.

Ya I got my monty done last month. I had been away from building for a couple of months for I fight a lung earatation at times that puts everything to a stop. When I pick up this UDT landing craft I keap looking at and figure it would go nice with the my other ones.
YES Harquebus you are right she is from the Higgins class. IT is a boat that under special forces use today. BUT it all started during WW-2 . VERY intresting history.. I am the one that has been doing the landing crafts and just finely decided to try it again. Been a way for a wile been feeling good and I needed a project.

YES your right jeepers I am taking it easy. WORK on it for a little wile then get a way and allways now wearing my mast. I dont like the idea of useing the Ca again but I do keep my fan handy and the mast on . FOR I have a reg Painters mast that has the side screw on I call them chip mont cheeks ;-) and I keep it on tight. I dont like useing it but I wont do any thing with out it . I got a little more work done tonight on it .
As for scale well I went back to a DONS a scale those that know me knows what i am saying .BUT in long run it all works out .
So any way thank you all for the kinds words and I am waiting for jerry to say something . BUT were good buddys so it will be normal for us.;-))
So any way here is what it looks like right now down on the work bench.
SO I am back for a wile ? DON your old Portland Rustbucket NICE TO BE back on board for a wile. O ya yes I still have the fleet . ONLY the landing crafts are on loan to the Va in Vancouver Wa in there Museum.. THEY were ask on request.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:10 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,728 Posts
OK Just keep in mind I am not even close of finishing the hull. I plan on adding foam for the keel and build it up under it. Sometimes I use to do this do a flat bottome then build it up under it . I know at lttle more work but iin the long it allways payed off. Still have the strern to to DO. Ya I know a little more work and time but time I have lots of ;-)) I have to amit been many years since I have done my own personal hull. THE ONE That did my hulls for me pass away. HE was the one that did my landing craft hulls. HE would rib and plank then I did the rest. We were very close and he was a WW-2 VET . ONE OF the last Iland hoppers. OK I will add more pictures later today. FUN to be back full. DON THE Rustbucket
Old Jan 16, 2014, 06:35 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,728 Posts
UP date

OK I did take it easy today spent all day working on it but taking brakes in between . GOT some more work done on it . I May leave it as a flat bottom for all of my landing crafts handle better and are more stable in the water. BUT we will see. ;-)

OK here is what my works looks like today and so far not having any problems . NOW that mast is like it is part of me;-) O well it is helping me to keep my self in good building conditition. A long with with th e ear head proterctore and glasses MAN I am now starting to feel like a real OLD Rustbucket ;-)) OK enjoy talk to ya all soon . Don ya YOUR OLD Rustbucket
Old Jan 17, 2014, 09:58 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
2,978 Posts
Good to see you back again Don, be careful and take care of yourself.
Harquebus, The boat He's building is an LCP(landing craft personnel) The one your thinking of is a LCVP (landing craft vehicle, personnel) both are 35' long and both designed and built by Higgins. The LCP came first but with the need to carry small vehicles the LCVP was developed also.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Jan 17, 2014, 10:43 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,629 Posts
Gee Don, and I thought you were away taking a spelling and diction class. I see that I was wrong---.
der kapitan is online now Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:00 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,728 Posts
Well I want to keep you on your toes . ;-)) I jus ttook a long brake from ship building and went back to my tanks. I went out to price some 1/8th ply wood from my local hobby shop . IT jump way up in price . So when I get this one done along with my health problems and the price of wood and supplys I cant aford it much any more. . Unless I win some big bucks some whear.;-) Wishing you a good weeken. DER . --- DON
Last edited by Rustbucket; Jan 26, 2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 04:13 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,728 Posts
HELLO Charlie. OK THE ONE I am doing is the UDt underwater demolition team boat . THIS time was from during WW-2 THE crews would use it to go in undercover in smaller boats to eneny lines.
THEN later in the years became the navy seal teams. I have built the LCVP . LCM. and the rest.
This boat came from those early higgins landing crafts. Right now my other landing crafs are on display at the Vancouver Veterents Hosptial Museum in glass cases.
Maybe in time this one may join them. I also have a 3 FT LCI that a budy of mind built and I finish it . This one i am doing will be only about 16 inchs long so it will be the smallest but I will be able to run in in the pond along with the rest ..
Ya Buddy I am being carfull for sure. I have taken brakes from building during the days .
. Spent the last 2 days building . So I decided to take brake to keep down any problems .

I dont build nearly like I use to . BUT I all mose fell over when I saw the price of 1/8th revell and base wood . It has taken a big jump . Wood use to pay 6 for is way over that price. ALong with everything elest in supplys. But lucky for mei Had wood and other buiding supplys left over from all of the ohter building I was doing. BUT as you see I have keap my fleet . THEN this one will I can squees in along side a couple of them. ;-) OK NICE TO see ya myself. have a good weeken DON
Last edited by Rustbucket; Jan 26, 2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 04:29 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,728 Posts
Landing crafts

OK here are my landing crafts at the Va museum in Vancouver Wa . Been there from the beginning of the winter and may stay there for a wile now. THE last pictures was taken about 2 years ago at a modeling show. that was all of my landing crafts . THE large LST be long a very close firend of mind that pass way last summer . That one went onto in the family. So it dose have a good home and I am not concern about it HIS grand son and did get it out last year but he is so busy with his job and familiy I hardly see him but he dose enjoy running it when we can together. . OK enjoy and yes I finely did my own RC Lst. After I got done doing 3 others for clubs here in the US. YUP MY ships did get around ;-)) DON
Old Jan 17, 2014, 07:58 PM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
2,978 Posts
I see that your using the old Monogram kit as a starter. Yup the UDT's used many of them for years, they were the best boat available for the job. They were mostly stock LCP's. Nice pictures of your fleet, you do have a thing for landing craft and ships
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Jan 18, 2014, 01:35 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,728 Posts
YUP YOUR RIGHT On that one . MY problem is once I get started on a hobby for some reason I cant just stop with one.;-) Glad you like them some of them you may remember when I was building for yoiu go back a ways like i do .
YES your right on the kit now it is REVELL but still the same . NOW I have to sit back and decide on how to set things up for RC. I know I will have to use all mini stuff. BUT I do have a small brushless system ? BUT I am not sure on that one. BUT I do have it . IF I did that would be one fast UDT a little over scale for speed ;-)) I will add more pictures when things change a little more. Just did some touching up today. NOT much work . today . Had to take a brake . I will get back to it more sometime this weeken but all of the heavy cutting is now done . JUST the little stuff. . I do have an idea for a maybe a top over part of it .? SOME ONE did it on a model that is posted on the UDT image sight. but just thinking about it right now DON
PS the small LCM is not Rc but the rest is the LCM larger one also has the ramp that goes up and down just like the real ones. that one is fun when I come up onto a boat ramp lower the ramp run out the tanks and bring them back in . the up the ramp pull back and leave. thanks DON
Last edited by Rustbucket; Jan 26, 2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 08:02 AM
United States, CT, Wethersfield
Joined Mar 2006
1,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustbucket View Post
Ya I got my monty done last month. I had been away from building for a couple of months for I fight a lung earatation at times that puts everything to a stop. When I pick up this UDT landing craft I keap looking at and figure it would go nice with the my other ones.
YES Harquebus you are right she is from the Higgins class. IT is a boat that under special forces use today. BUT it all started during WW-2 . VERY intresting history.. I am the one that has been doing the landing crafts and just finely decided to try it again. Been a way for a wile been feeling good and I needed a project.

YES your right jeepers I am taking it easy. WORK on it for a little wile then get a way and allways now wearing my mast. I dont like the idea of useing the Ca again but I do keep my fan handy and the mast on . FOR I have a reg Painters mast that has the side screw on I call them chip mont cheeks ;-) and I keep it on tight. I dont like useing it but I wont do any thing with out it . I got a little more work done tonight on it .
As for scale well I went back to a DONS a scale those that know me knows what i am saying .BUT in long run it all works out .
So any way thank you all for the kinds words and I am waiting for jerry to say something . BUT were good buddys so it will be normal for us.;-))
So any way here is what it looks like right now down on the work bench.
SO I am back for a wile ? DON your old Portland Rustbucket NICE TO BE back on board for a wile. O ya yes I still have the fleet . ONLY the landing crafts are on loan to the Va in Vancouver Wa in there Museum.. THEY were ask on request.
Don have you tried using the odorless CA,Hobby King super gold great stuff
Browndog is offline Find More Posts by Browndog