HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2014, 07:48 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
885 Posts
Jet Flyer--this ought to be interesting in flight. If I remember, idea was, since the airflow over the wing has detached by the time it reaches the aileron, roll control near neutral will be fairly soft, improving as the aileron angle increases deflection; more roll authority as deflection increased. In other words, it's meant to be sort of a fixed version of what is now called exponential. Some designs of the late Sixties also did this on the elevator, where the elevator would be thinner than the horizontal stabilizer, but some thought it worked just as well if the elevator was thicker than the stab. You could hinge the elevator such that it was more effective in one direction, too. Say, more responsive in down than up so you didn't have to hold so much down when inverted. An offset control horn worked well for that, also. Now-a-days this can be done at the radio, while in flight if you use Airtronics.

Thickness ratios could be altered to get the desired reaction. 'Course, you had to build a new flying surface and control surface to change those ratios. Much easier now at the transmitter end of things
Balsabird is online now Find More Posts by Balsabird
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2014, 08:52 AM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsabird View Post
Jet Flyer--this ought to be interesting in flight. If I remember, idea was, since the airflow over the wing has detached by the time it reaches the aileron, roll control near neutral will be fairly soft, improving as the aileron angle increases deflection; more roll authority as deflection increased. In other words, it's meant to be sort of a fixed version of what is now called exponential. Some designs of the late Sixties also did this on the elevator, where the elevator would be thinner than the horizontal stabilizer, but some thought it worked just as well if the elevator was thicker than the stab. You could hinge the elevator such that it was more effective in one direction, too. Say, more responsive in down than up so you didn't have to hold so much down when inverted. An offset control horn worked well for that, also. Now-a-days this can be done at the radio, while in flight if you use Airtronics.

Thickness ratios could be altered to get the desired reaction. 'Course, you had to build a new flying surface and control surface to change those ratios. Much easier now at the transmitter end of things
I may not have clearly explained what I’m doing with the basswood on the trailing edge. I like adding basswood to wing trailing edges so the line of the airfoil line continues to the edge with a fairly sharp tailing edge. If you try to do it with just the balsa sheeting the edge is too weak.

In the case of the Crusader, the top and bottom trailing edge sheeting stops right at the sharp edge of the laser cut ribs. The two 1/16” sheets make the trailing edge 1/8”. I’ve added the 1/8” X 1/4” basswood so I can sand the basswood down following the airfoil line with the trailing edge ending up at about 1/32”.

I’ll be sanding the basswood to shape next and then cutting the ailerons out of the wing and finishing their construction.

I hope this is a better description what I’m doing with the basswood.

Mike
Jet_Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Jet_Flyer
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Apr 13, 2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:49 AM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Dec 2007
525 Posts
Among many of Mike's clever techniques that I copied is the basswood trailing edge idea. It is simple and works very well.

David
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:10 PM
5005 days to retirement!
Canada, MB, La Salle
Joined Sep 2004
403 Posts
Yes, i like doing that on my current build too.

Jim
jpurcha is online now Find More Posts by jpurcha
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: How time flies
Old Apr 13, 2014, 02:06 PM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
1,027 Posts
It does seem to work well. Depending what I'm working with I use different sizes of basswood, e.g. 1/16" X 1/8" works well for elevators and rudders.

I'm not sure where I got the idea. It might be mine or Tony's. I started using the basswood when I was building Tony's kits in the 70s.

Mike
Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
1,027 Posts
Here we go again! I flipped the rib jig over and started the left wing panel.

To be continued
Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Dec 2009
327 Posts
very nice work! you sure make it look easy
bpink43 is offline Find More Posts by bpink43