HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2013, 08:17 PM
Barnwell, SC
Barnwell, SC
Joined Sep 2004
774 Posts
Discussion
1SQ V-Cam videos

Here is my third V-Cam video. the first wasn't worth posting to youtube. On my channel is another one. I did a couple of flips near the end of the battery and didn't have the power to stay up. Before when I did flips early in the battery, it cut the video off, but I reformatted the card and all seems good now. I've flown a 1SQ (without the cam) that belongs to a friend, and I can definitely tell the extra weight in performance and flight time. But, It's pretty cool how much resolution this little camera has. Share your V-Cam videos here.
1SQ V-Cam 2nd video (3 min 16 sec)
hfenn is online now Find More Posts by hfenn
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2013, 01:41 AM
Joined Aug 2013
13 Posts
Hello hfenn. Just received my 1SQ V-Cam this past Monday. Just wondering if you have any advice for learning to fly it. I've got close to 30 years fixed wing experience of all sizes, but this is my first quad. I tried setting the low rates to 25% as suggested in another thread, but it didn't work out too well. Took me back to my early days of fixed wing (required too much stick movement). I'm now flying with high rates and seems to be doing better. Not bad on hover, forward, backward, left, right, and pirouettes, but can't get circles and figure eights together. Have been flying in large bedroom with no furniture. Haven't tried outside yet, I did take off the camera. It seems to handle better without the extra weight.

Any information or advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
Old Trekee is offline Find More Posts by Old Trekee
Old Sep 01, 2013, 12:18 PM
Barnwell, SC
Barnwell, SC
Joined Sep 2004
774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Trekee View Post
Hello hfenn. Just received my 1SQ V-Cam this past Monday. Just wondering if you have any advice for learning to fly it. I've got close to 30 years fixed wing experience of all sizes, but this is my first quad. I tried setting the low rates to 25% as suggested in another thread, but it didn't work out too well. Took me back to my early days of fixed wing (required too much stick movement). I'm now flying with high rates and seems to be doing better. Not bad on hover, forward, backward, left, right, and pirouettes, but can't get circles and figure eights together. Have been flying in large bedroom with no furniture. Haven't tried outside yet, I did take off the camera. It seems to handle better without the extra weight.

Any information or advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
Due to having become proficient with collective pitch helicopters and having R/C fixed wing experience back to 1982, I find the multi-rotors pretty easy to fly. Airplanes helped with the heli flying in forward flight. The biggest hurdle for me was nose in hovering, and I finally used a co-axial heli to learn that. I would recommend a heli simulator. Circles and figure eights require co-ordinated use of the rudder control. Airplane, but especially heli, flying will teach you to use that rudder stick. HTH
Old Sep 01, 2013, 01:29 PM
Joined Aug 2013
13 Posts
hfenn, Thank-you for the advice. A flight simulator is out of the question right now. Money is pretty tight. Got the 1SQ on payment plan. Want to save up for a Hunter V-Tail next year. Hoping to get the 1SQ down pat so I'll be ready for the V-Tail.

Do you think outdoors on a calm day would be beneficial for my learning? I have a nice park nearby with no obstructions.

Thanks much for your help.
Old Sep 01, 2013, 07:35 PM
Barnwell, SC
Barnwell, SC
Joined Sep 2004
774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Trekee View Post
hfenn, Thank-you for the advice. A flight simulator is out of the question right now. Money is pretty tight. Got the 1SQ on payment plan. Want to save up for a Hunter V-Tail next year. Hoping to get the 1SQ down pat so I'll be ready for the V-Tail.

Do you think outdoors on a calm day would be beneficial for my learning? I have a nice park nearby with no obstructions.

Thanks much for your help.
Outdoors in calm air is good. Grass is very forgiving. Just don't get it hung up in a tree!
Old Sep 01, 2013, 11:20 PM
Joined Aug 2013
13 Posts
Exactly what I was thinking. Wide open park. Only trees are at the back side and I won't be anywhere near them. Tomorrow is supposed to be a good day here. Thanks for your advice.
Old Sep 07, 2013, 08:17 AM
Barnwell, SC
Barnwell, SC
Joined Sep 2004
774 Posts
I made a short video at our flying field.
1SQ V-cam at the flying field (2 min 10 sec)
Old Sep 09, 2013, 02:14 AM
Joined Aug 2013
13 Posts
Nice video. Looks like my style of flying! lol
Old Sep 09, 2013, 06:46 PM
probro 2567
Midlothian,VA
Joined Jan 2006
319 Posts
Here's one. I'm just playing around in the front yard.

1sq v cam (5 min 1 sec)
kwj48 is offline Find More Posts by kwj48
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:36 PM
Barnwell, SC
Barnwell, SC
Joined Sep 2004
774 Posts
Thanks for posting! Does yours ever record a video where the vid freezes early on but the audio continues to record? Thanks.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 08:23 PM
probro 2567
Midlothian,VA
Joined Jan 2006
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfenn View Post
Thanks for posting! Does yours ever record a video where the vid freezes early on but the audio continues to record? Thanks.
Yeah I've had that happen a couple of times. Here's what I did to stop it. Turn on tx, then plug in battery on the quad. I then will hit the video button once watch the light blink a couple of times then hit the video button again to stop recording. Then I hit the video button again to do my main recording. It will produce a short 3 second video that I just delete later. This seems to be working for me so far.
kwj48 is offline Find More Posts by kwj48
Old Sep 11, 2013, 08:08 AM
Barnwell, SC
Barnwell, SC
Joined Sep 2004
774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwj48 View Post
Yeah I've had that happen a couple of times. Here's what I did to stop it. Turn on tx, then plug in battery on the quad. I then will hit the video button once watch the light blink a couple of times then hit the video button again to stop recording. Then I hit the video button again to do my main recording. It will produce a short 3 second video that I just delete later. This seems to be working for me so far.
Thanks for the tip! It does seem to happen to the first video now that I think about it.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 06:52 AM
Barnwell, SC
Barnwell, SC
Joined Sep 2004
774 Posts
Here's a flight with some flips after the battery is off peak. All my flying has been over grass, so even though it hits the ground and bounces, landing inverted at times, it hasn't been damaged (yet).

1SQ V-cam wild flight (3 min 49 sec)