HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:22 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROACE View Post
I order balsa from SIG all the time...........
The Akromaster is an extremely simple plane to build --- if you're ordering balsa from SIG, you can easily scratch out another plane if your first one gets dinged.
Andrew0820 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew0820
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:27 PM
Rocky Mountain High and Higher
Joined Jan 2002
876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew0820 View Post
The Akromaster is an extremely simple plane to build --- if you're ordering balsa from SIG, you can easily scratch out another plane if your first one gets dinged.
That's what I'm thinking

Reminds me somehow but I better ask. What is an acceptable or smart line separation on the handle?
PROACE is offline Find More Posts by PROACE
Old Apr 24, 2013, 08:01 PM
gcb
Joined Sep 2008
122 Posts
Quote:
That's what I'm thinking

Reminds me somehow but I better ask. What is an acceptable or smart line separation on the handle?
I like ~4" spacing but it varies person to person.

I would suggest before building the kit, trace out individual parts on back of the plans so you can make replacement parts if (when?) necessary.

George
gcb is offline Find More Posts by gcb
Old Apr 25, 2013, 01:13 AM
Joined Apr 2006
3 Posts
Quote:
Keep in mind that line spacing at the handle and the spacing at the bellcrank are related. Narrow spacing at the bellcrank has the same effect as wide spacing at the handle. The Akromaster comes with a 2" nylon 1/2a bellcrank, which is adequate for the vintage .15 it was designed for. With a comfortable line spacing at the handle, the controls will probably be very fast. By substituting a 3" bellcrank, you can run a reasonable 4" spacing at the handle and the controls will respond slow enough that the plane will be easier to fly. A Sig 3" bellcrank (SIGSH480) is more than adequate. Just make sure to cut away the ribs as necessary to allow the bellcrank and leadouts to move freely through the full range of motion.

The rubber band landing gear mount shown on the Akromaster plans might work alright, but normal gear clips are cleaner. SIGSH522 will fit the gear wire in the kit and work great.
hathaand is online now Find More Posts by hathaand
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:11 PM
Rocky Mountain High and Higher
Joined Jan 2002
876 Posts
I have to say that I am learning a lot in this thread.
Tons of good advice.
Never thought of changing bellcrank to adust throws, I was figuring on separation at handle and rod location on control horn.
I will trace parts so I can make parts as needed. I am sure I will need a few.
PROACE is offline Find More Posts by PROACE
Old Apr 27, 2013, 02:02 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,293 Posts
You should put a 3 inch bellcrank in the Acromaster. Use a Sig plastic and redrill the hole at 13/16ths from center. Dremel away the ribs where necessary and mount the bellcrank with a vertical post of wire or all-thread. Use large horns like a 35 sized model. It will then fly like a 35 sized model with slower, more predictable handling. That will make it much easier to fly.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr