HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:15 PM
Nose In is NOT my friend
Joined Oct 2006
150 Posts
Discussion
Is there a video on MonoKote installation?

Just bought some Monokote and a Coverite Iron and I've got a wing to patch. I normally fly helis, but I picked up a used Profile plane for Father's Day and I've been having a blast with it. Last weekend it had a run in with a 600 size helicopter (powered down on the runway) and lost ...

I'd prefer to watch a video of someone that knows what there are doing prior to giving it a go.

Thanks
Rick
rdlohr is offline Find More Posts by rdlohr
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:57 PM
United States, NY, Kingston
Joined Feb 2006
217 Posts
youtube is your friend. lots and lots!!

How To Cover a Model Airplane Wing (23 min 32 sec)
Bariboy is offline Find More Posts by Bariboy
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:13 PM
Nose In is NOT my friend
Joined Oct 2006
150 Posts
Perfect thanks. Once I watched this, I found these which are exactly like the wing on my profile! Thanks much!

Rick

Monokote 101 Part I.mov (5 min 43 sec)

Monokote 101 Part II.mov (4 min 6 sec)

Monokote 101 Part III.mov (6 min 55 sec)
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:50 AM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,251 Posts
i don't know if it is still available but there once was a video on how to use Monokote by the manufacurer Top Flite.
The person in the video was Sid Axelrod the owner or pres of Top Flite. It was originally sold by Tower Hobbies for about $16.
I had a Beta copy years ago.

BM
BillM is online now Find More Posts by BillM
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:04 AM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Covering

Great links, I'll soon be starting my first complete covering job and a complete how-to-video would have been a good start.

Here's a link from MA magazine on a quick & easy wing repair:
http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...r-hangar-rash/

Michael
The Violets is offline Find More Posts by The Violets
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:26 PM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,538 Posts
If you are planning on doing some covering I think you will the best videos were made by Charlie Bauer who was the product manager for Top Flight back in the day. He made a set of 5 videos covering everything could possibly want to know about monokote. I bought the first 2 many years ago and still watch them every now and then. He's a our local swap meets and has recently converted them to dvd. Charlie's Website.
bullseye000 is offline Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:11 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Charlie Bauer DVDs

Thanks Bullseye,

Just fired off an e-mail, asking if they ship north of the border; at $10 a pop it's seems like a great deal. A complete set includes five DVDs from basic covering to advance detailing, also have some supplies up for grabs...

Michael
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:01 AM
Nose In is NOT my friend
Joined Oct 2006
150 Posts
Hahahaha. Working with balsa, Styrofoam, MonoKote and a heat gun is far harder than it looks. Ay carumaba. I've been working with helis for years and normally pride myself as a pretty decent modeler. I cobbed this thing up big time. I've got wrinkles and I melted some of the fuselage Styrofoam. It should fly though. As long as its 100 feet up maybe no one will notice...

Rick
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:58 AM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
I hear ya Rick,

Not looking forward to it but maybe the videos will help; can't find a covering service around these parts, LOL!

Michael
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:35 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Charlie Bauer DVDs

Charles wrote back and ships to Canada, no extra shipping cost, I ordered a set today.

Michael
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:49 PM
Nose In is NOT my friend
Joined Oct 2006
150 Posts
Get a glove. I didn't have one and I think that would have made a big difference on the tip. Also, my heat gun was too hot and I didn't have one of those heat directors (the funnel like tip).

I had to use see through red MonoKote and it didn't seem to have the same stretch characteristics as the blue Monokote he used in the video. It seemed that the material had to be pretty taunt even before you shrink it. I had one rib right up against my Styrofoam fuselage so I only had about a 1/8 inch to grab on that side. All told, it was no picnic.

Rick
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violets View Post
Charles wrote back and ships to Canada, no extra shipping cost, I ordered a set today.

Michael
Glad he ships to the north land. When I bought them he was the only game in town, back in the 80's. I've seen some of the new videos and they are nothing more than commercials wrapped around a short how to. Not taking away from the youtube videos but Charlies are the best I've seen. I only have the first 2 in the set. He didn't have as many early on and to be quite honest I didn't think I needed anymore than the first 2. If you get the whole set let us know what you think. I may get the rest of them if they are worth it.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:35 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post
Get a glove. I didn't have one and I think that would have made a big difference on the tip. Also, my heat gun was too hot and I didn't have one of those heat directors (the funnel like tip).

I had to use see through red MonoKote and it didn't seem to have the same stretch characteristics as the blue Monokote he used in the video. It seemed that the material had to be pretty taunt even before you shrink it. I had one rib right up against my Styrofoam fuselage so I only had about a 1/8 inch to grab on that side. All told, it was no picnic.

Rick
That's one of the big gripes about monokote these days. The characteristics seem to vary color, transparency or sometimes from roll to roll. Not to turn this into another monokote complaint thread, because there are plenty of them, but... I have bought 20 year old rolls of monokote from the gentleman mentioned above. There is definitely something different in today's formulation. It just doesn't shrink as much as it used to needing to be stretched more and shrunk at a much higher temperature. I just recovered part of an old model in white and metallic blue and red. The blue was from a 20 year old roll and it would shrink just looking at it. The white was a problem requiring very high heat to shrink
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:04 PM
Nose In is NOT my friend
Joined Oct 2006
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye000 View Post
That's one of the big gripes about monokote these days. The characteristics seem to vary color, transparency or sometimes from roll to roll. Not to turn this into another monokote complaint thread, because there are plenty of them, but... I have bought 20 year old rolls of monokote from the gentleman mentioned above. There is definitely something different in today's formulation. It just doesn't shrink as much as it used to needing to be stretched more and shrunk at a much higher temperature. I just recovered part of an old model in white and metallic blue and red. The blue was from a 20 year old roll and it would shrink just looking at it. The white was a problem requiring very high heat to shrink
Interesting. Thanks for confirming that.
Rick
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:49 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
I Got Them!!!

Hi Bullseye,

The DVDs came in the mail today, could not have been better timing with the holidays coming up and I'll soon be starting my first covering, on my first build a SIG SE. Thanks for the hook-up, Mr. Bauer is a real gentlemen. I know you have 1 & 2, so I'll let you know how the other DVDs pan-out.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post23486383

Michael
MAAC 84116