HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:04 PM
Joined Oct 2006
270 Posts
Discussion
PRIZES and EVENTS

This thread is to discuss the various events we'll have, and the prizes that have been donated for the event. Feel free to get started and we'll add more details soon!
themudduck is offline Find More Posts by themudduck
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:03 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,525 Posts
If you've posted them I missed it somehow, but I don't see any of the rules for the individual events. Combat, ETOC etc.

Is there a battery restriction for combat?

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:16 AM
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
we'll try and get the rules for events posted soon, I can say the rules are not much differant than other indoor events so that can be a general guide for now. We'll do pylon and combat events several times throughout the weekend. We will not be doing an ETOC qualifier this year. We will plan on an anything go's 3D smackdown probably Saturday night, You can use music, props, obstacles etc...no pyrotechnics!! and keep it within basic indoor rules and AMA indoor safety guidelines!!! Interesting to note that the simplest events have proven to be the funnest such as musical airplanes and carrier events so plan on trying these out, there a hoot for both pilots and spectators. Note ethe event schedule is fairly liquid in that the times and order may change based on manpower and other factors. We will announce events well in advance throughout the weekend.
UNLIMITED49 is offline Find More Posts by UNLIMITED49
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:03 AM
Joined Jan 2000
7,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLIMITED49 View Post
we'll try and get the rules for events posted soon, Interesting to note that the simplest events have proven to be the funnest such as musical airplanes and carrier events so plan on trying these out, there a hoot for both pilots and spectators.
The musical airplanes event is just a blast.

Azarr
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Oct 2006
270 Posts
battery restriction for combat - and musical airplanes

For combat - the battery limit is 1000mah (regardless of # of cells). It's basically "unlimited" regarding everything else (within the event rules of course) but we recommend cometing with relatively small models. Larger ones are harder to turn sharply and requrie more power. This event has a $5 registration fee and the winner takes the entire pot. We'll have combat on Saturday, and on Sunday if we have enough people sign up.

Regarding Musical airplanes... OK imagine that the music starts and everyone takes off (you need landing gear) and flies around close by... listening to the music... trying not to hit anyone.... and just as you're getting it figured out, the music stops! Everyone has to land NOW - and you have to land on the runway. The last plane to land is eliminated. Vertical "one point" landings don't work if it damages your plane, because as soon as the music starts, everyone has to take off again! And we repeat this mayhem again and again eliminating the last landing plane each time.
Last edited by themudduck; Nov 13, 2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:01 AM
Joined Jan 2000
7,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLIMITED49 View Post
We will not be doing an ETOC qualifier this year.
You might want to change your flyer so that someone doesn't show up expecting to fly this event since it's still listed on the flyer.

Azarr
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:36 AM
Joined Oct 2006
270 Posts
etoc and the event flyer

The latest version of the flyer (version 6) was corrected because we removed the ETOC event. At this time we don't have ithat event organized. You can see the new flyer on the other thread that I set up, and it's also on the HEF website.

V6 of the flyer needs to have one more update, because there is a note that is in an "unrecognized font" that isn't showing up. (That note announces our food drive.) As soon as we get that fixed, I'll post version #7.

By the way, if the ETOC management gets together and decide that they do want to have an event at the HEF, it's possible that this could still happen. We haven't had any luck contacting them so far. The problem of course, is that the event is only a few weeks away and there's virtually no time left to get the pilots signed up and organized.

CLARIFICATION: the preceding paragraph could have been worded better, my apologies. What I meant as: at this time nothing had been organized, we didn't make contact yet, and time is growing short. As you can see from the next posts, something may happen and I'll try to keep everyone informed if anything develops.

Friday 11/16 BIG NEWS - looks like this will happen after all! I started a new thread for ETOC, please check it out!!
Last edited by themudduck; Nov 16, 2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joined Nov 2007
114 Posts
[/QUOTE]By the way, if the ETOC management gets together and decid that they do want to have an event at the HEF, it's possible that this could still happen. We haven't had any luck contacting them so far. The problem of course, is that the event is only a few weeks away and there's virtually no time left to get the pilots signed up and organized.[/QUOTE]

Who is this ETOC Management you speak of? is this someone on your event staff? If your Talking about the actual ETOC director that would be me and im in the office monday-friday.
Kathy
tntangel is offline Find More Posts by tntangel
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:33 PM
Mississauga (Toronto), Canada
Joined Oct 2004
52 Posts
By the way, if the ETOC management gets together and decid that they do want to have an event at the HEF, it's possible that this could still happen. We haven't had any luck contacting them so far. The problem of course, is that the event is only a few weeks away and there's virtually no time left to get the pilots signed up and organized.[/QUOTE]

Who is this ETOC Management you speak of? is this someone on your event staff? If your Talking about the actual ETOC director that would be me and im in the office monday-friday.
Kathy[/QUOTE]

Boo I was looking forward for the etoc event at Geneva. Is there a chance it could happen?
RC Technics is online now Find More Posts by RC Technics
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined Oct 2006
270 Posts
E t o c ??

To TNT Angel - Dear Kathy, I am very glad to see your post above.
My information is not first-hand, but it is my understanding from the event CD that nothing has been organized yet.

Eveyone: I am sending Kathy an email and discussing the ETOC with the event staff to see if it might be possible to work something out.

Nov 14th - here is the latest news. I apologize for the inaccurate comment in my previous post. The ETOC management supports our efforts to have a qualifier at the HEF. Our problem is that we need to have an organizer (person-in-charge) for this event from OUR staff, as well as qualified judges. We don't have that person to be in charge, and the judges who are most appropriate (who have participated at previous ETOC events) are occupied with another event this same weekend and are not available. Due to these factors, we decided not to have the ETOC event at this year's HEF. We're very sorry to disappoint anyone!

EEEEEEEK (sound of screeching tires, car crashing into a wall)
I just got word that we should be able to have the ETOC Qualifier event after all!
There is a separate thread started. Please see that thread for the latest news!!

3D is an amazing part of the hobby and there are a lot of very skilled pilots who will be at the event. It's exciting that we can have an organized contest at the HEF. It's at the very last minute, but we can do it!
Last edited by themudduck; Nov 16, 2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Oct 2006
270 Posts
Prizes

As you can see on our website, the main sponsor is Horizon Hobby.
They won't have a booth at the venue, but they have graciously donated some great prizes which we'll use for Pilot Prizes and events. The retail value of these prizes exceeds $3000. We expect to have even more prizes donated from our other sponsors and vendors. Please thank our sponsors and vendors and support them with your business, because our event would not be the success that it is without their generosity!

Here's a partial list of what we're expecting:

Two DX7s radio systems
One DX6i radio system
Several different Park brushless motors (180, 250, 300)
Several brushless ESCs and digital servos
Several AR6115e 6-channel micro receivers
Two Night Vapor BNF
One Micro T-28 BNF
One Micro F4U Corsair BNF
One UMX Micro MIG 15 BNF
One UMX Hyper Taxi BNF
One UMX GeeBee R2 BNF
Last edited by themudduck; Nov 13, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:09 PM
Joined Oct 2006
270 Posts
Pylon races

There will be two pylon races at the HEF, schedule to be confirmed later.
I believe the Unlimited race is on Saturday and the Warbird race will be Sunday.

Let me go over a few quick details.

As far as kinds of airplanes allowed:
  • For the unlimited class, you can enter anything... Anything that meets the overall event rules, that is. Aircraft that exceed 16oz in total weight with battery, and/or the max motor size will be ineligible, even if the event CD has granted permission for them to fly at the event in general. So you can enter any kind of flying machine that you want as long as it isn't too big.
  • For the warbird class: we only want to see models of piston-engine propeller warbirds from the WWII era in general. So, no jets or flying wings. Size limitation is the same as mentioned in the previous paragraph, so no large planes.

As far as what will happen:
  • There will be two pylons marking the course. The pylons indicate where you need to turn. The pylons will be relatively short because we don't need to hit the pylons.
  • We will have heats of no more than 6 planes (probably 4) which will launch straight out (hand launch or ground launch, pilot choice), then turn around pylon 2 and when the models cross the start/finish line in front of the pilots, we will begin counting at zero. The reason is for flightline safety.
  • There will be 6 laps. Each pilot will be provide a counter who will count off the laps. The winners in each round will advance to semi-finals, then finals.
  • Winner will get a nice prize.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:36 PM
Joined Oct 2006
270 Posts
New event - night fly

On Saturday evening, we will turn down the lights in the main racetrack area and have a night fly. Please bring your planes with lights! We'll see if one of our vendors can provide some kind of prize for the best light show!

It won't be completely dark, but it will be dark enough to make it work.

I'll try to get a time later, most likely it will be at 8pm or later.
(Official close is 9pm on Saturday)
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:10 AM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
Sweet!!! you guys are knocking this one out of the park!!!!!!!! Keep it up!!!!!!
3171scott is offline Find More Posts by 3171scott
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:39 PM
Team JR
Medford, NJ
Joined Jan 2004
315 Posts
ETOC Qualifier Link

Just posting the link -
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1771400

Regards,

Dave
DaveL322 is offline Find More Posts by DaveL322