90 Posts
Wow, Nice looking !
Hot Tuna is offline Find More Posts by Hot Tuna
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:29 PM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
486 Posts
Thanks guys for the complements. Another thank you to you Hot Tuna for the idea and the informantion on how to build the covers.
Hircsailor is online now Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:01 PM
Joined Jan 2012
90 Posts
Hircsailor, Since you seem to like the natural wood finish, here is another idea for you. I didn't like to look of the keel and rudder after sanding through the veneer of the plywood to shape the leading and aft edges, so I made some wood replacements. I sandwiched two sheets of planks together with a layer of fiberglass in the middle, cut the shape to match those supplied in the kit, then formed the edges per spec. I realize that I don't conform to the class rules, but I'm not far off, and I don't sail well enough for anyone to think I have an unfair advantage.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:22 AM
Joined Jan 2012
90 Posts
This is what the T37 is all about. We had a GREAT day last Saturday on Lake Samish, Bellingham, WA. Photos by Will Lesh at Tippecanoe Boats
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:25 AM
Kimo
Joined Jun 2011
486 Posts
Great pictures almost makes me want to live in Washington, but I like the warm sunny days in Hawaii more even if I don't have anyone else sailing a T37
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:40 PM
Kimo
Joined Jun 2011
486 Posts
Still building both thr T50 and the T37, just put the 4 coat of varnishon the T50 hull, rudder, keel fin and the hatch covers that I made up. So now I wait untill the varnish dries, since I have the mast made up theres not much to do on the T50. I am still working on the sail arm setup for the T37, I think that I will use a Hetic 645 servo with 180 degree rotation and double sail arm with double purchase sheeting. Just have figure where I will attach the eye bolts to the interior of the hull and I may have to add a eyebolt to the deck bottom to run the jib sheet around the mast.
Took the T37x out sailing Thur. and since the jib foot and the jib boom are just about the same length I couldn't tighten the jib enough for the light winds that day. Made a longer jib boom and now there is room to adjust the jib for different winds. I'm still toying with the idea of putting a 1 meter rig on it to see how that works out. Its smaller sail area but a taller rig.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:30 AM
Joined Jan 2012
90 Posts
For the sheet anchor, I just epoxied a 1/4 ring up under the corner instead of trying to find a place to screw in an eye bolt. The closer you can get it to be in line with the exit hole in the deck, the more throw you get. If you are going to have 180 degrees on the servo you my may not want all that much. Will sells a programmed servo with additional throw that he has maximized for the T37, you might run your choice past him. I look forward to hearing about what you work out on the double sail arm.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:29 AM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Aug 2005
586 Posts
Love those pictures!
marter1229 is offline Find More Posts by marter1229
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:28 AM
Kimo
Joined Jun 2011
486 Posts
Haven't been posting but have been working on the boats. The T50 has 4 coats of varnish and just waiting a couple of days for the varnish to really dry before rubbing and buffing to get that gloss look. All the hatches are finished with 4 coats of varnish as well
The T37 finally has the radio board set up and I will install the rudder tube tomorrow. Tippecanoe no longer uses the piece of wood dowel for the rudder tube to pass thru, but a piece of cf tube epoxyed in. No support so I am going to put in a beam from side to side to support the cf tube just to be safe.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:14 AM
Canada, ON, St. Catharines
Joined Jan 2013
48 Posts
I am glad to have found this discussion site dedicated to Tippecanoe Boats. I am in St. Catharines , Ontario on the south shore of Lake Ontario and have built 2 of Will's boats. My first was the T 37 hull # 631. I bought and built it several years ago now. It was my first RC sail boat and it did what Will designed it to do... it hooked me ! Last year I bought and built the MOD T 50 , hull # 97. I finished it just in time to get her out on the lake on Thanksgiving week end. I must say, I am very pleased and proud of both of these fine boats. The T 50 is a much different boat than the T 37. It is faster and more manouverable and definitely a lot bigger. The T37 was the perfect starting point, easy to build, a good sailer and very pretty too. After sailing the T 50 I ordered the racing upgrade for the T37. I am looking forwards to better up wind performance with the new jib configuration and better down wind performance with increased sheet travel.

Have any of you other Tippecanoers done this upgrade ? What are your thoughts ?
Capt. Windypants is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Windypants
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:24 PM
Kimo
Joined Jun 2011
486 Posts
Had a little setback yesterday, the fin and bulb fell off the counter and the epoxy fillet at the bulb cracked so I had to clean up the seam and repair it. Oh well something like that keeps the hobby exciting. As I have said in an eariler post Tippecanoe has change the way that the rudder tube is installed. Instead of running the tube up throught a dowel they now use 2 cf tubes with a small plastic tube(like fuel tueing) at the top to seal the rudder shaft.. To me that looks a little iffy so I made up a cross piece to put at the top of the rudder tube for mor support.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:24 PM
Joined Jan 2012
90 Posts
Cap'n, Any racing upgrade has to be good just by its very nature ......... at lest that is how we explain it to the wife. I started out with it and really like it, But, it seems to matter more where you point the boat. A good sailor with an inferior boat can easily beat a poor sailor with a good boat. Note the third picture in the top row in post #126 above. The boat with all red sails does not have the racing upgrade and he was right up near the top of the leader board at the end of the day. He knew where to point the boat. Its all fun !
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:48 PM
Canada, ON, St. Catharines
Joined Jan 2013
48 Posts
Thanks Hot Tuna. I have been reading what you and hircsailor have been exchanging. Nice boats fellows !!!. I noticed on your report #102 that in the third photo the jib sheet appears to run through an eyelet on the jib boom and fastens more than half way up the boom. Is this yours or Will's design and what is the reasoning.

I can't believe the work you guys are doing to your boats. Your deck and hatch details are incredible. I thought my T 37 was pretty cool with the veneer deck upgrade. Yours are works of art.
Capt. Windypants is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Windypants