HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:55 AM
Tn
Joined Jan 2011
311 Posts
Discussion
PageBoy

I got my PageBoy built. I've added 1/32 sheeting to the bottom of the wing and a LE that is rounded and raised, and ailerons, and a hatch on the bottom for the battery. The fuse is built with 1/16 balsa on the top & bottom also, not the 1/32 it says to use. (belly landings)

I just need to get a motor for it and cover/paint it. Its weight comes in at 99.2 grams, or 3.542oz with everything including a 2s 7.4 320a battery, 2 T-Pro 5.0servos, and a orange Rx, and no motor yet.

I'll be using the same motor I put on my Cannonshot, a Eflite - Park 250

Pat
Toysareforkids is offline Find More Posts by Toysareforkids
Last edited by Toysareforkids; Feb 21, 2012 at 07:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:44 AM
Forest, Va
Joined Nov 2009
270 Posts
Let us know how she flys with the wing sheeted. I read on the Cannon Shot not to do that to allow the undercamber to do it's job. Curious to see how that will work on the Page Boy. I started mine as well, but I'm going single channel.

John
Rubbernecker is offline Find More Posts by Rubbernecker
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:50 AM
Joined Jan 2008
534 Posts
Very nice work! I am also curious about the sheeted wing's performance.
Tee Bee is offline Find More Posts by Tee Bee
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:24 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,639 Posts
Looking Good.. A bit of rattle can colour and it's ready.

Wouldn't worry overly about losing the undercamber foil.
I've never had any joy with those slow draggy things ;-)
Even 'looks about right' clark Y foils are better in real life use than 80% of all other aerofoils.
Surprisingly, even flat sheet wings can work acceptably.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:38 AM
Tn
Joined Jan 2011
311 Posts
I would think it would fly like any clark Y airfoilded plane. I also reduced the down thrust to 3 degs, from the 10 degs it shows having. I can always shim it, if it needs more or less.

I left the undercamber on my Cannonshot.
Back then things were designed around free flight, and not as much r/c other then rudder & lots of incidents in wings and/or elevators. With wings like on the Pageboy, they don't like inverted fights. I also raised the the LE & rounded it on my Littlest Stik, and it flew great. I just should have flaten the wing dihedral out completely, or down to just a small amount.

I have been scratch building a 30" DR-1, and used the pageboy as fill work, when I was thinking out things on the tripe. Both now only need motors & covering/painting

Hummm, what to put on my brench next to build?

I've actually have a clean work bench. So now the wive wants me to finish her cupboard doors I build (25 doors). I already put the finish on them and the knobs. Just need to assemble them & put hindges on. And put another coat on the cupboards themself. I keep telling her it's easier to get things out, without doors ........ Well you know how that went over!

Pat
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:11 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,556 Posts
Beautiful looking DR-1!!!

I don't like building wings, so I admire your patience and persistance all that much more.
Andrew0820 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:07 PM
1/2as actually fit in my car
United States, PA, West Grove
Joined Aug 2011
69 Posts
if you dont want that DR1 id gladly take it off your hands i been thinking about getting the electrifly DR1 and converting it.
bushcub is offline Find More Posts by bushcub
Old Feb 24, 2012, 07:27 AM
Tn
Joined Jan 2011
311 Posts
Thanks guys!
I like to build, which is a good thing for me. I sold over 40-45 kits & engines, the last year and half to pay for my wifes meds, from a surgery that was screwed up by the surgeon!!! So I have been collecting plans and building planes with the wood and covering that I have collected over the past 35 years or so. I build planes because I have to stay near my wife, to help her, or take her to the ER. which is 1 to 4 times a month. But she is fianily getting better

I got the Guillows DR-1 plans and blew them up to 30", and then I used them as an outline , and built what I wanted. It's not a Guillows plane! It's stronger then a Guillows, but lighter then a Electifly DR-1 Guillows outline is closer to scale then Electrifly is. and I used T-Pro 9g serov's on pull-pull for the rudder & elevator. and T-Pro 5g servo's in the wing, one for each aileron.

I built a jig that held the wings, thrust line, and the sub-wing & landing gear while I built it. I built 5 degs for the stab iinto the fuse. Which is what after doing a intense search, of what DR-1 fliers use. small to large.

As you see it with 4 servos & without the light weight wheels weights at 11.6 oz's. I don't know what I'm going to cover it with yet, thats light but strong enough. but I am going to paint the design on it.

Here's the build thread for some of it. ---> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...errerid=343740

I built this plane because I had to sell my 1/4 scale one for meds, and I had to have a DR-1 again. But I'm tired of red ones, my other was blue & white, and this one whill be orange & green.

Today I'm suppose to go get my original one. I sold it to guy that owns a LHS (local, 45 miles away), and he put it back into kit form (crashed it) which is no problem for me to rebuild (not just fix). He told me I didn't need to recover it to fix it! I'll paint it the same again. I had it since '89-'90. It was from scratch-A-Plane, not a BUSA.

Here's pictures of before & after of my other DR-1 and picture of how I'm going to paint this one.

Pat
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:43 AM
Forest, Va
Joined Nov 2009
270 Posts
Anybody know the all up target weight of a Page Boy???? My is looking at around 3.5 oz with a wing loading of 8.2 oz/ft sq which sounds a little high for something this small????? Will post pictures tonight.

John
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Jan 2008
534 Posts
If my memory is correct, I believe mine came out around 4oz with a TD .010.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Jan 2008
534 Posts
Went back and checked my records. 4.1oz ready to fly.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:58 PM
1/2as actually fit in my car
United States, PA, West Grove
Joined Aug 2011
69 Posts
like that DR1 in blue. id lose it in the sky though. before i flew my andrews aeromaster i recovered it from blue and white to yellow and black. and to keep from this thread becoming a DR1 love fest. that page boy looks great. the wing being all sheeted looks great and it looks like it'll fly good
bushcub is offline Find More Posts by bushcub
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:06 PM
Forest, Va
Joined Nov 2009
270 Posts
Here is my latest one for the Anniversary Flight in March. Ready for the dope. As she sits, 1.32 oz. Single channel (not pulse but modern servo) and electric. Probably best to wait on maiden so I donít crash her. Tee Bee, have you set a date for this flight or will it just be everyone on their own some time in March?

John
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:36 PM
Joined Jan 2008
534 Posts
Those Pageboys are looking good! March 24th is the official 50th anniversary of Ken Willard's flights. Due to my schedule, I'll have to be a bit flexible on my tribute flights.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:28 AM
Joined Dec 2012
99 Posts
Where can I find a diesel engine for this plane.
If there's no diesel engine can some one Please finde a electrci engine for my page boy
And what servos do I nead
for a page boy
Rczorro is offline Find More Posts by Rczorro