HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:14 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
579 Posts
Now that I've got about 75+ flights on my CCub, I went back to Cub Crafters' website and watched some videos of the full-scale again.

It's AMAZING how much like this little CCub THEIRS fly!

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:51 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,167 Posts
Excellent video, Ben! Really enjoyed the mix of flying styles - and the scale-like flying speeds! Looked like you almost gave yourself a haircut with that long prop during that one pass.

Only took me one flight to get hooked on the Yak prop. After that, I couldn't imagine going back to any of the 5" props. Were you surprised by how much difference it made? I certainly was. I expected a modest improvement in scale flight, slow-flight, and scale power maneuvers, but I didn't expect such a transformation. The night & day difference in control when performing scale maximum deck-angle takeoffs and when flying near stall with the flaps extended was a nice surprise. And the huge amount of low-end grunt, fast throttle-response, and instant acceleration allow one to get out of trouble simply by pointing & shooting. She has no choice but to follow that big prop! The over-unity thrust-to-weight gives her a bit of 'Fun Cub' personality when you put the balls to the wall.

No outdoor flying around here for awhile. Here's what I woke up to this morning. We're supposed to end up with around 6-8 inches out of the deal by the end of today, and the 30 MPH wind is whipping it around pretty good. I put the snowblower away for the season last week. This crap can melt on its own.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2014, 02:21 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepflyr View Post
Now that I've got about 75+ flights on my CCub, I went back to Cub Crafters' website and watched some videos of the full-scale again.

It's AMAZING how much like this little CCub THEIRS fly!

Tom
And there is a good reason for this. It has to do with wing-cube-loading (WCL) & power-loading, which significantly affect how closely models of different scales can be made to appear to behave in flight, given proper attention to things like choosing an appropriate airfoil for the flight-speed & other aerodynamic scaling effects. WCL is a far better indicator of how a plane will behave than wing square loading alone. For example, a 40-lb giant-scale plane with 3000 sq in of wing area & a wing-loading of 31 oz/sq ft will feel really floaty and appear to land in slow-motion, at a WCL of just 6.7. A 1-lb UMX-sized model with a wing area of 74 sq in would have the same wing-loading as its giant-scale counterpart above. However - with a WCL of nearly 44, approach speed would be closer to 100 MPH! Such a plane would be incapable of flight.

At the advertized 3.17 oz AUW, the UMX CC's wing-cube-loading is 7.2. Power-loading is in the 120-130W/lb (6.2-5.7 lb/HP) range - depending upon which motor/prop/pack is used. At ~1260 lb with a 200 lb pilot & a full tank, the full-scale Carbon Cub SS has a WCL of 8.4. At that weight, power-loading is 106W/lb (7 lb/HP).

The numbers are remarkably similar - something that used to be quite unusual at this scale. The CC's WCL is just a bit lower, which is likely why it seems to fly more scale-like with the extra weight of a Hyp 500 pack. Power-loading is in the same ballpark, too, with the UMX CC topping the full-scale by a relatively modest ~18%. The combination of the above, along with a well-chosen airfoil & AS3X damping-out the 'tiny foamie' personality are the reasons why the CC flies so realistically, despite its diminutive dimensions.

Here's a great WCL vs power-loading chart. Note that UMX planes such as the CC, Beast, Yak, and the upcoming Pitts S-1S are in the 'excellent' range, as is the full-scale Carbon Cub SS:

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Apr 16, 2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 05:11 PM
Joined Aug 2011
579 Posts
Joel,

Thanks! I just observed it...that explains it!
Fun, interesting, and helpful.

Tom
Old Apr 16, 2014, 07:01 PM
Raikkonen for President
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
7,123 Posts
Thanks, Joel. I can tell you my CC won't have anything but a Yak prop on it from here on out. Flying with full flaps just got easy! However for anyone looking to do this, even with my bush wheels, there's only about 1/2" clearance or less when the tail's flying. That's a BIG prop!

Anyone notice this on tv recently?
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Apr 16, 2014, 07:33 PM
Joined Apr 2014
15 Posts
It means that Q at HH knows his shiz.
paradiddle is online now Find More Posts by paradiddle
Old Apr 16, 2014, 07:53 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,167 Posts
Fly a few flights for me, guys. Might be a bit longer than I thought before I get to fly anything outdoors. Got over a foot on the ground so far, and it's not supposed to stop until morning. Guess I'll be digging-out the snowblower after all.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 12:22 AM
Ripon, UK
Joined Apr 2010
156 Posts
Managed to break the tail last night so have a replacement on the way - what's the method for swapping out the parts as normally loads of pics and vids but can't find anything?
Robdd1 is offline Find More Posts by Robdd1
Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM
Joined Aug 2011
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Fly a few flights for me, guys. Might be a bit longer than I thought before I get to fly anything outdoors. Got over a foot on the ground so far, and it's not supposed to stop until morning. Guess I'll be digging-out the snowblower after all.

Joel

"Ice Station Zebra"...that was a pretty good flick. Thanks for pics of the set, Joel!

Seriously...feelin' your frustration!

Tom
Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,167 Posts
Ice station Zebra. LOL! Now that's a good one. Yeah, I remember that movie. Saw it in the theater back when it came out.

Ended up getting around 18" out of the deal. I was going to take the CC out this morning for some ROS in the yard on floats, but I can't get to my flying spot until I dig out the snowblower & make a path.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM
Raikkonen for President
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
7,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robdd1 View Post
Managed to break the tail last night so have a replacement on the way - what's the method for swapping out the parts as normally loads of pics and vids but can't find anything?
Cut tape, wiggle the rear of the fuse that has the locating 'bumps' for the tail feathers free. Work it gently and it'll let go. Same with the v stab, might want to run a sharp hobby knife down the sides of it to remove any glue. Main point is you don't want to run a knife under the rear of the fuse that goes over the tail feathers because it'll make life difficult if you cut those foam locating tabs for the hstab.

How bad is the tail broken? I will say that I've replaced the tail on mine one time, but the second set has been beat to hell and gone, and fixed probably 6 times. The aero counterbalance on the rudder has been ripped off, last time it flew (prior to the video I just posted) and the elevator snagged on one of the lovely grass creepers that stick up everywhere, and it tore the elevator AND hstab in half.

I just fix 'em now. A tiny bead of Foam Tac, and then very thin transparent tape on top and bottom of the wound and it's been absolutely fine. There are other glues that do a good job as well, some just take longer to dry than FT (I like to be able to accidentally kill her and then have her flying again in 10 minutes )
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM
Ripon, UK
Joined Apr 2010
156 Posts
Bhoov128,
Thanks for the advice, it is the tail feather only that need fixing. I have lost the edge of the elevator so flush with the rest. I lost the part in the water so cannot tape n fix. I have cut the other side to match and she still goes fine. Just want to get looking good again. Hopefully i should not need to remove rudder and fin then, just the part they are attached to.

Many thanks
Robdd1 is offline Find More Posts by Robdd1
Old Today, 11:43 AM
Joined Mar 2014
56 Posts
For those who replied to me a while back offering assistance on my hard left turning CC. I received a replacement from Freakware last week, definitely was a bad brick in my last one, this one had a few tendencies but with the suggestions you guys posted about equalizing the struts length and others have helped me make this new one a perfectly straight flying beauty. Can put it down in a meter in front of me! Really nice plane. Floats next!
Squinton is offline Find More Posts by Squinton