HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2010, 05:14 PM
Australia, QLD, Rochedale
Joined Apr 2010
10 Posts
Question
Servo chatter

I have scratch built a 24" depron extra and have a single s60 servo for aileron control . When all conected the ailerons chatter violently only stops if i hold servo control horn but starts again when aileron used. Radio is spectrum dx6 &ar6110e rec not game to maiden carring on like this.
oz flier is offline Find More Posts by oz flier
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2010, 05:44 PM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Hi Oz

Servo chatter is common, and what counts is whether it moves the control surface predictably and consistently.

The servo potentiometer (round thing under the drive gear and the servo arm) does itís best to use the servo motor to match the pulses from the Rx for the appropriate arm position. Sometimes it does some audible searching. This can happen with radio noise, but unlikely with your Spektrum system. The jitter may settle down if the servo is under a little load.

If the servo doesnít move the control surfaces properly, the servo pot may be bad, and a new servo is better than fixing the plane. HobbyKing has them for $3-5.

Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:14 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,863 Posts
Yes, the servo pot can be bad or reacting to motor vibration from a motor with a imbalanced prop. I had a new Skysurfer that would do a tight inside square loop at full throttle. It was funny. I tested it on the ground by going to full throttle and you could watch the servo move so the elevator went up 95% of the time. When I first flew the plane it nosed in on launch at WOT (servo moved so elevator went down). Then it behaved fine on the next three flights. On the fourth flight the servo went in the up direction at full throttle. I could put my thumb on the side of the servo to dampen the vibration and the servo pot would not have its wild excursions. You can try working the servo back and forth (lipos disconnected of course) to clean it up but it doesn't always solve the problem. It didn't work on mine. I installed Hobbyking HXT900 servos. No problems since. RTF foamies often have marginal or dodgey electronics. I have adapted a havit of buying foam only kits unless the RTF or ARFs are dirt cheap.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member