Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM
Find More Posts by snowluck2345
United States, CA, Woodland
Joined Mar 2013
72 Posts
Discussion
First RC Sailplane Recommendations?

Hey Guys,
I would like to get into sailplanes, however I feel overwhelmed with the number of options.

In the past I have flown mostly flying wings, but I have flown a bixler and a walrus normal plane.

I am looking for a 2-2.5m electric assisted sailplane, that can carry around 120g payload and still thermal nicely.

A few planes looked interesting to me:
ASW28
Parkzone Radian Pro
Heron
Cularis
Multiplex Solius

I am leaning towards the ASW28, however all these look very nice to me.

This video:
ASW28 RC Glider 3rd flight - absolutely fantastic flight! (25 min 40 sec)

Oppinions?
snowluck2345 is offline Find More Posts by snowluck2345
Last edited by snowluck2345; Yesterday at 04:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM
Find More Posts by Hussle
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2015
26 Posts
Hi there,

Of the ones you have suggested, I have only flown the radian pro, but can comment on a few others:

ASW-28: Flies well under power, doesn't glide so well. High aspect ratio wings make it a little difficult to handle.

Radian pro: Good power, flies nice and smooth. Full house controls make it very versatile (slope, thermal, different wind speeds) and crow is very good for landing (made my first hand catch yesterday). N.B. You will only be able to fully access this versatility if you have a radio capable of sailplane mixes and independent control of each wing surface. (6 channels, preferably 7 and with plenty of mixes available).

Heron: Sounds like it flies very nicely. Ditto the full house controls. The version multiplex sells with electronics included is quite expensive, maybe worth just buying the airframe and using hobbyking electronics?

Before giving further advice, it would be useful to know what you are looking for in a glider:
Thermal vs slope?
FPV?
What radio do you have?
Do you have to have ailerons or would you fly a r/e glider like the original radian?

Hussle
Hussle is offline Find More Posts by Hussle
Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM
Joined Mar 2013
72 Posts
Hey Hussle,

I am interested in thermal flying.

My radio is a Frsky Taranis

FPV... maybe. I am not a big fan of analog FPV.

I would like to put my old APM2.6 on it as well as an Intel Edison.

I definitely like full house controls and am OK with putting my own electronics in. I am mostly interested in getting a nice airframe.

ASW-28 not gliding well makes me sad. Haha. Does that mean it is not good for thermalling?

Out of curiosity, on my little 900g flying wing I can get 90 minute flights, thermalling one can do much better than that if they have the patience right?
Last edited by snowluck2345; Yesterday at 06:07 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM
Find More Posts by Hussle
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2015
26 Posts
The asw-28 is quite heavy for its size (needs quite a bit of nose weight) so is quite difficult to thermal (a guy at my local slope bought it and much prefers his multiplex easyglider)

With a taranis you should be absolutely fine with full house controls, sounds like it may take a bit of fiddling to work it out though.

The radian pro needs the cg pushed back quite a bit from the manual's recommendation, but will then thermal nicely (a lot of the bad rap it gets is from comparison with the very good original radian). Comes with very good horizon warranty.

The solius looks quite heavy for its size?

Cularis and heron both seem good

Hussle.
Hussle is offline Find More Posts by Hussle
Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM
Joined Mar 2013
72 Posts
People seem to say the Cularis is difficult and annoying to build.

What about getting an original radian?

My friends were complaining when flying the radian pro, I never did fly it, I will went I get back to school now...

Maybe I should just wait, try flying the radian pro a bit and see how I like it and save my money.

People thermalling can fly all day right? Like far more than the 1.5 hours I did on my 900 gram flying wing.
Last edited by snowluck2345; Yesterday at 06:33 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
3,106 Posts
Hi, snowluck.

It is all but impossible to find a better first sailplane than a standard Radian. It is a very, very, capable plane and one doesn't need to learn about programming while learning to find thermals. It's a simple matter to add spoilers for glide slope control or you can just use the prop as an air brake. Hitting just enough throttle to kick the blades out and allowing the prop to windmill is like throwing out an anchor! The Pro is more versatile but can't match the soaring performance of the standard.

One that I didn't see mentioned and I have flown is the Flyzone Calypso. I would say that it falls in between the Radian and Radian Pro for pure floating ability and it has ailerons and optional flaps.

I also would not recommend the ASW28, or any scale sailplane for that matter, as one's first thermal ship. They will soar with good conditions but the general handling and need to fly faster can make for a very frustrating experience.

Cheers!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM
Find More Posts by yorkiepap
SW PA
Joined Aug 2010
709 Posts
This one is much better than the Radian Pro. The vid really shows the capabilities & flight parameters.

Denny

http://www.motionrc.com/rochobby-v-t...-wingspan-pnp/
yorkiepap is offline Find More Posts by yorkiepap
Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM
Find More Posts by nateyok
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Oct 2014
61 Posts
[QUOTE=yorkiepap;32087911]This one is much better than the Radian Pro. The vid really shows the capabilities & flight parameters.

Not to disrespect the plane you are showing, however the video shows no thermal gliding whatsoever. If you want a cheap "thermal plane" and it must have a motor, the original radian is still the best. If you want a more acro glider that one from motion looks alright. But if acrobatics are your thing you would be much better served buying a 3D plane.
nateyok is online now Find More Posts by nateyok
Old Today, 03:04 AM
Find More Posts by renatoa
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
17,190 Posts
+1 for radian

Avoid the scale gliders, like ASW, they perform a lot under their big brothers.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Today, 08:52 AM
Find More Posts by tkallev
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,292 Posts
Radian
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev