New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2015, 12:52 PM
Find More Posts by Bioblade
Joined Jun 2015
1 Posts
Discussion
Blade 200 SRX with 14t Pinion

I am new to RC and helicopters and have been flying my 200 SRX for a couple of weeks now and have logged approximately 30 flights thus far.

I absolutely love this helicopter! It is smooth, graceful, and can handle some serious winds (in the right hands). The only aspect of its flight characteristics (in intermediate mode) that I wanted to change is the tendency of the helicopter to drift quite a bit when making about-face turns. In a big open field this isn't a problem but in an area with more obstructions I wanted to be able to initiate a turn and gun it out of there before striking a tree or building.

I increased my throttle gain to 200% and while this improved power somewhat, it still was not enough to get the flight behavior that I wanted. On a related note, I also didn't like having to work so much on the top end of the throttle-travel just to lift off and fly around.

My solution? Install a 14t pinion.

Result? It's flippin' awesome!!!

I jumped on eBay and bought a Lynx brand 14t steel pinion for the 200 srx and switched it with the stock 11t pinion. I made sure it was on solid with medium strength Loctite. I waited 24 hours and then took it out to the field near my apartment. I put it through four 950mAh and one 800 mAh battery pack and had a blast!

With the throttle trim all of the way up, the helicopter lifted off the ground (with authority) well before 50% throttle. In fact, I rarely had to give the helicopter more than 70% throttle during the duration of all of my flights. Of course, I had to see what the little bird could do at full-throttle.

I found that with the throttle gain set at 200%, and with the 14t pinion installed, in full-throttle fast (I'm mean crazy fast) forward flight the helicopter wobbled a bit. And I don't mean a tail wag. What I am referring to is a noticeable rapid lateral tipping that made the helicopter look as though I was inputting back and forth aileron left and right commands extremely quickly. Perhaps the head-speed was just too high for the vibration characteristics of the helicopter? I don't know, but the issue was solved by merely backing off the throttle a tad. I will probably drop the throttle gain settings a bit before my next session and see how that works.

All in all, this is an upgrade that I am EXTREMELY pleased with. So much performance for every dollar spent!

Cheers!
Bioblade is online now Find More Posts by Bioblade
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2015, 04:34 PM
Find More Posts by Bush Pusher
What goes up must come down
United States, NH, Rochester
Joined May 2014
869 Posts
I have done the same pinion and very happy as well I set my throttle gain at 165% that works for me and with the DX6 could not be a better combination .
not sure if you know there is a thread for the 200 Srx ( see link )
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...89784&page=343
lots of pages to read through lost of helpful stuff at the beginning .
Bush Pusher is online now Find More Posts by Bush Pusher