New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2015, 03:08 PM
Find More Posts by davidmc36
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
4,312 Posts
No problem getting updates from the .de site. They are freely downloadable. Just not able to do direct purchasing from this side of the pond but I find http://www.hoelleinshop.com/ good for items not on the USA or CAD sites.

As to updates, I only use the Update Studio Software and let it fetch them for me automatically.

Totally agree about the disorganization of the Open Hobby site files.

It would be very nice to see more products available on this side of the pond. I know the lack of GR-12 Rx's is disappointing. The GR-12L do not have SUMO so can't be used for satellite reception, I will be getting GR-12 from EU from now on.

There is something in the plans for more voice options, Graupner USA has posted a couple times concerning "Switch Events" like Spek has but there is no time-line to prioritize it, I think it should be priority also. The best would be the ability to create and load like Taranis.

The lack of a charge indicator is one of the goofiest things I have ever seen, like HUH??

Regardless, I have no regrets about dumping the Spek and moving to MC-20 and MX-20, lost a couple tiny things and gained major things.
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2015, 03:18 AM
Find More Posts by DoctorBadVibez
There are voices in my head...
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2010
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
No problem getting updates from the .de site. They are freely downloadable. Just not able to do direct purchasing from this side of the pond but I find http://www.hoelleinshop.com/ good for items not on the USA or CAD sites.

As to updates, I only use the Update Studio Software and let it fetch them for me automatically.

Totally agree about the disorganization of the Open Hobby site files.

It would be very nice to see more products available on this side of the pond. I know the lack of GR-12 Rx's is disappointing. The GR-12L do not have SUMO so can't be used for satellite reception, I will be getting GR-12 from EU from now on.

There is something in the plans for more voice options, Graupner USA has posted a couple times concerning "Switch Events" like Spek has but there is no time-line to prioritize it, I think it should be priority also. The best would be the ability to create and load like Taranis.

The lack of a charge indicator is one of the goofiest things I have ever seen, like HUH??

Regardless, I have no regrets about dumping the Spek and moving to MC-20 and MX-20, lost a couple tiny things and gained major things.
Oh I will checkout holleinshop for sure, do you know what their shipping time frames are and if they have tracking? Graupner sure needs to bring a lot of stuff for this radio to our shores. It was quite disappointing about the GR12L not being SUM0, maybe the GR24L will do just fine by itself for now, it's going to be installed in an RCRCM Typhoon this weekend.

I'm using the the Auto Update feature as well, it was easy for me because I already had the SiLabs drivers installed for my Naze32 hence, it was simply a question of choosing the port, and hitting Auto Update.

The audio thing is a big deal these days, I would definitely love to have more control over the voice functions, for example when I use my Aileron trim, let's say it's to the right of the center point and I'm decreasing trim, I would love to have (or record) a call out that says "Right Aileron Trim Decreasing" OR if you have a switch that is assigned to a glider tow hook and you flick it down to release it would be awfully nice to hear "Tow Hook Release". I really think Graupner needs to work on that.

The charge indicator (or lack there of) got the same reaction as you from me, I went "hmm.. is this charging or do I have a dud?"

I'm extremely happy with this radio despite the things I pointed out. It is well laid out, a lot slimmer than what you'd normally expect, the tilted secondary screen for telemetry eliminates having to read though cluttered entries on a single screen layout. The sticks are glorious, the right tension straight out of the box and very stout. Even my 12 year old son says it's better than the Spektrum radio in every way and he wants to save his allowance for an MC-20 for when he gets better with his flight techniques (he's in beginner stages). My wife said it best when she laid her eyes on the MC-20, she said one word "Sexy" she has been the voice that told me "get that radio, you know you want it, get it now, do it, do it, do it...."

To Graupner, thank you for providing EXCELLENT value, the mere fact that the radio allows usage of non HOTT modules is a big plus, I have a fair bit of Lemon receivers that are not going to waste, this was a major consideration when I got this radio, totally worth it. Previously I was told "Graupner hates all other brands" now I see that the nay sayers were wrong.

Next up for me is going to be protecting the radio from scratches, I might invest in a screen protector and as well in some 3M Di-Noc to wrap it and perhaps add some personal flair.
DoctorBadVibez is offline Find More Posts by DoctorBadVibez
Old Jun 26, 2015, 04:43 AM
Find More Posts by davidmc36
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
4,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorBadVibez View Post
...holleinshop....shipping time frames are and if they have tracking?.......maybe the GR24L will do just fine by itself for now......
I forget exactly but I think shipping was a week or so. They use DHL Packet which transferred over to Canada Post and showed up at my mailbox. Tracking worked until it left EU. I think it was around $40, flat rate, but I bought a few hundred dollars of stuff a couple times so no big deal.

I use the 24L and 16L on their own with no issues. I just like the option of being able to place a remote Rx on tricky installs. I have been changing most of my antennae leads over to different length ones to make it easier to spread them out also.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/600mm-FrSky-2...943&rmvSB=true

They are available in different lengths. Graupner has some different antennae also. Or make your own, 1.13mm diameter:

http://www.digikey.ca/product-search...=0&pageSize=25
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Jun 26, 2015, 09:10 AM
Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Cumulus Altimus
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Feb 2002
3,837 Posts
Well gents, I am new to the MZ radio took few hours to work things out but now that I have I can see why I should love the ease of all things built in to this divice.
The only thing that ticks me off is the use of 1S Lipo , for glider pilots that stay up there all day long this is not such great idea, so I like to ask is there a possibility to install a 2S with a 5v regulator to extend the time of use?
On my JR. with 3s 2600ma I would charge maybe 2ice a month, when my MZ told me low tx battery it took over 2hours to charge it at 1C.
Will 5V damage the radio?
Thank you
Ben
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Old Jun 26, 2015, 09:23 AM
Find More Posts by xtraflyr
Chester NJ
Joined Nov 2005
461 Posts
The only time my mz24 batt gets drained quick is setting up a plane.
I charge mine maybe 2-3x a month at the most. I have my display set really low. Not sure if that helps.
xtraflyr is offline Find More Posts by xtraflyr
Old Jun 26, 2015, 09:36 AM
Find More Posts by yufasa
'n boer maak 'n plan
United States, PA, Franklin
Joined Oct 2004
168 Posts
Make sure you calibrate the battery reading. I don't have any problem flying all day.

Also invest in a second battery for quick swap out if you forget to charge
yufasa is offline Find More Posts by yufasa
Old Jun 26, 2015, 09:43 AM
Cumulus Altimus
Joined Feb 2002
3,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtraflyr View Post
The only time my mz24 batt gets drained quick is setting up a plane.
I charge mine maybe 2-3x a month at the most. I have my display set really low. Not sure if that helps.
Yes you are correct, the setup will drain fast.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 09:44 AM
Cumulus Altimus
Joined Feb 2002
3,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yufasa View Post
Make sure you calibrate the battery reading. I don't have any problem flying all day.

Also invest in a second battery for quick swap out if you forget to charge
Great idea, I see that graupner also offers a 6000ma.
Ben
Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:35 PM
Find More Posts by Kiesling
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,541 Posts
Ben,

Definitely make sure your battery indicator is calibrated. On a fully charged battery it should read at least 4.1 (if not 4.2 volts).

Even with a fairly full day of practice I think the most I've ever put back into the battery is 1500 mAh. Personally I don't mind charging after each flying session. . .

You can find instructions on how to do the calibration here:
http://www.openhobby.com/front/suppo...ry=&searchstr=
The instructions are toward the bottom of the page. You have to make fairly large changes to the calibration value for the voltage output to change.

Tom
Kiesling is offline Find More Posts by Kiesling
Last edited by Kiesling; Jun 26, 2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 03:10 PM
Find More Posts by cloudniner
Bath, Ontario
Joined Sep 2007
246 Posts
DoctorBadVibez

I tried to send you an email but could not get it to work via RCGroups. If you will send me an email at: naylorrs@kos.net

I have a couple of screen protectors for the MC-20 radio that I will give to you. I am in Toronto now until Saturday.

Richard
MAAC 7965L
cloudniner is offline Find More Posts by cloudniner
Old Jun 29, 2015, 08:33 PM
Find More Posts by DoctorBadVibez
There are voices in my head...
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2010
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudniner View Post
DoctorBadVibez

I tried to send you an email but could not get it to work via RCGroups. If you will send me an email at: naylorrs@kos.net

I have a couple of screen protectors for the MC-20 radio that I will give to you. I am in Toronto now until Saturday.

Richard
MAAC 7965L
Richard, I've sent you a PM, thank you so much for the generous gesture, I will be sure to return in due kind and send you a 3M Di-Noc skin/accent sheet when I make one for the MC-20

Cheers,
Vin
DoctorBadVibez is offline Find More Posts by DoctorBadVibez
Old Jul 01, 2015, 07:38 PM
Find More Posts by concreteman
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,977 Posts
My battery did double duty at our last contest (my pal needed to use my tx, so we loaded his program and we used my tx for the contest), and to charge full took just less than 1000mah, but I do carry 2 batteries.
Glad to see you are with it, Ben.
WD
concreteman is offline Find More Posts by concreteman
Old Jul 04, 2015, 02:23 PM
Find More Posts by blucable
DRQ-360 D-Hawk
United States, AR, Wynne
Joined Nov 2011
391 Posts
Hey guys, I just got me a ZMR-250 and I have a few questions about adding my GR-12L Rx that I just purchased to the existing setup. I have a bigger size 450 quad already configured and it's using a GR-24L Rx which is already configured as the main Rx. In my Graupner MZ-18 Tx do I need to bind the Rx to the new model setup as the second Rx or do I need to add it as a main Rx in the new setup?

Never mind I got the above figured.

Now this is my next question:

I am now trying to setup my SUMD signal to this Rx. I am attaching a picture of how the setup looks like. I also went to my little guide of how to setup SUMD signal but it looks a bit different, here it is:

Changing the GR-24L to SUMO (single output PPM data stream)

On the MZ-18/24 select Function Menu > Telemetry > Setting and Data View, to go into the receiver settings.
When the RX Data View Screen comes up press 'ENT' 5 times till you get to the RX Servo Test Menu
Press 'INC' 6 times to scroll down to the 'CH OUT TYPE' line.
Press 'SET' to highlight the channel out type.
Press 'INC' to change the value to 'SUMO' (sum signal out/PPM out)
Press the 'SET' button again to select the number of channels to be output. (I chose 12 channels)
Press 'INC' or 'DEC' to select how many channels to output in the PPM stream.
Press 'SET' to exit and save the value.
Press 'BACK' 3 times to exit to the main screen.

Source: http://www.logicrc.com/?LinkId=GRMZTIPS

Anyways, I found an obvious way of doing it but I want to make sure if just checking the SUMD on CH6 from no to yes is enough and I don't have to do anything else. (picture 2).
blucable is online now Find More Posts by blucable
Last edited by blucable; Jul 04, 2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2015, 02:58 PM
Find More Posts by Graupner USA
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2013
1,284 Posts
Yes, if it shows SUMD on ch6 that's what you will have at the output.
Graupner USA is offline Find More Posts by Graupner USA
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 04, 2015, 04:35 PM
Find More Posts by blucable
DRQ-360 D-Hawk
United States, AR, Wynne
Joined Nov 2011
391 Posts
Perfect! I was just wondering because that Naze32 is not detecting the signal at all. I'm gonna have to troubleshoot the Naze32 board and cleanflight.

Edit: I found out that the GR-12L's SUMD mode isn't compatible with the Naze32. Only the GR-24L and the GR-12L Pro are compatible. So I went normal mode and it worked.
blucable is online now Find More Posts by blucable
Last edited by blucable; Jul 05, 2015 at 07:55 AM.