Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
602 Posts
Gallery
On my Holiday.

This years holiday photos.

Not many this year, you may be pleased to hear.

First stop Chester,

We had a nice wander down by the River Dee, had a look around some shops, looked in some camera shops, bought a couple of bits, ND filters and a cheap second hand 2X converter, I bought it to play with, not because I think it will help my photos, it will not, it will make them soft as butter in the sun and I will hate the images and hide them in a dark place never to be looked at ever again...

I took this purely because of the washing on the line in the yard of the house by the bridge.

It made it real.

For some reason I like this picture,its messy, it's got stuff like scaffolding and a car in it, but for me it works.
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,265 Posts
...and it has cobblestone streets.

the small Kansas town that I grew up in, had cobblestone streets.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie View Post

For some reason I like this picture,its messy, it's got stuff like scaffolding and a car in it, but for me it works.
....and people wonder why big American cars and SUV's aren't popular over there.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
Joined Jan 2005
602 Posts
Sally's secret garden, I lovely place for a coffee, in a shop in the "Rows", a group of historic two level streets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester_Rows

Good coffee, nice cake, the chocolate chip shortbread is lovely and they sell stuff, a bit alternative type stuff, crystals, jewellery, pretty stones, statues of various Gods and things, I have bought a Raven statuette there in a previous visit, this time I bought some colours for my beard.

Chris made some friends.

The ceiling dates from 1670.

Chris likes his new friends.

We were sitting in the garden and this little fella came along to share the cake.
Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM
Joined Jan 2005
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post

There are still a few cobblestone streets about this island.

Not a lot, but they are here and there.
Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,794 Posts
Looks like the little fellow is quite fond of the cake.

Great pics !!!
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Joined Jan 2005
602 Posts
Last pictures of Chester, back to the river via the site of the original cathedral.

Rebuilt on a much smaller scale, after the the tower fell down in 1881, the last of a series of collapses of the church over the centuries.

Decoration still showing despite 130 years of weathering.

Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM
Joined Jan 2005
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
Looks like the little fellow is quite fond of the cake.

Great pics !!!

He did, he would take some from the floor, then perch on the chair back to have a look about, fly off, the a couple of minutes later come back to see if any more crumbs were in view.
Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Some great pictures Punkie. I really need to put aside a savings account for a trip over there. Here, things 100-150 years old are OLD. There you are surrounded by history. You are able to walk on streets made close to 2000 years ago by the Romans.

Must be something!
Acer is offline Find More Posts by Acer
Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
Sally's secret garden, I lovely place for a coffee, in a shop in the "Rows", a group of historic two level streets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester_Rows

Good coffee, nice cake, the chocolate chip shortbread is lovely and they sell stuff, a bit alternative type stuff, crystals, jewellery, pretty stones, statues of various Gods and things, I have bought a Raven statuette there in a previous visit, this time I bought some colours for my beard.

Chris made some friends.

The ceiling dates from 1670.
Interesting mixed era shot there. Recessed lighting, through wall A/C ,retro candles. Is that a bean bag? I have always been amazed at the skill required and time to create such a ceiling. I did stucco and plaster for years, and patching that could take months. And I could cheat by making a latex mold.
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM
Great Lone Star State
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Feb 2013
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post
....and people wonder why big American cars and SUV's aren't popular over there.
HA HA, a Suburban might not fit on that road!
traceyl is offline Find More Posts by traceyl
Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,265 Posts
around here, those ceilings are made of tin...replacing them is dangerous, because the edges of the panels are razor sharp.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
298 Posts
Good job again, Punkie! As for the converter, if you put it with a lens with few elements (NOT a zoom) and shoot a couple stops away from wide open and the smallest they do OK. Biggest disadvantage is the light loss.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post

CCobblestones are wicked when it's wet or snowy. There's an old street near Case Western Reserve University that has WOOD "cobblestones."
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM
Great Lone Star State
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Feb 2013
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer View Post
Some great pictures Punkie. I really need to put aside a savings account for a trip over there. Here, things 100-150 years old are OLD. There you are surrounded by history. You are able to walk on streets made close to 2000 years ago by the Romans.

Must be something!
You have to go. The churches are amazingly old. Often, the walls of a church are headstones of members from hundreds of years ago.
Once the walls were filled, the sidewalks around the church became nothing but headstones. I went to a church that was barley a wall or two on a high hill in the SW. It was from 1100 AD. And, the beauty of many churches and their incredible stonework. ..just amazing.
traceyl is offline Find More Posts by traceyl