HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:45 AM
Joined Jul 2014
3 Posts
Discussion
Help find this charger

I use this charger to charge my lights (used for dentistry). The company wants to charge me $100 to replace the charger. Figured I would find this online for $10. I am not sure where to get started though. Appreciate all the help. Attached is an image.
coolein is offline Find More Posts by coolein
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2014, 09:08 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,356 Posts
Here's a reddit from someone with a similar problem, they didn't get anywhere either:
http://www.reddit.com/r/electronics/...m_ion_charger/

For some reason that style just seems to be expensive. Here's a similar one, though only 1A instead of 1.8A and it is $70:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...e9gbUXILH3M%3d
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Last edited by grimbeaver; Jul 12, 2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:27 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,965 Posts
Check eBay or Amazon for any of the various 8.4v bike light chargers. These have similar (if not identical) plug and have 8.4v output. Only thing you might have to do is swap the plug or simply change polarity on the supplied plug.

edit: Here's a 1A, 8.4V charger for <$4, including shipping: http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-4V-Charger...item20e7321fce

One would simply need to swap the connector. Yes, it'll take longer than the 1.8A charger but it'll get the job done.

Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mrforsyth; Jul 12, 2014 at 01:36 PM. Reason: added link
Old Jul 12, 2014, 01:48 PM
Joined Jul 2014
3 Posts
That ebay link looks like it'll do the trick. Forgive my ignorance on the subject but when you say "swap the connectors" I am assuming you are talking about the tip, right? So the connector from ebay doesn't exactly match the connector I have (I assume one is bigger than the other?) I charge my lights overnight anyways so time wouldn't be an issue. Swapping the connectors is an easy process I assume because it looks complicated to me, haha (I feel like a child on this subject matter). Thanks again
Old Jul 12, 2014, 02:18 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,965 Posts
Yes, the connector on the $4 charger is a 5.5mm OD with tip positive. From the photos, yours certainly appears smaller than this and has a negative center contact. This would need to be rectified in order to be useful in your application.

Incidentally, is your charger defective or are you seeking a spare? Reason I ask is that the demise of a battery is far more likely than the demise of a charger and you'll want to make sure that your charger is indeed defective prior to harvesting the connector.
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2014, 02:43 PM
Joined Jul 2014
3 Posts
Yes it's the charger (it better be). The battery was just replaced less than a month ago.

Is the switching of connectors pretty simple? Trying to find a site to see how it's done
Old Jul 12, 2014, 02:57 PM
I can't fly
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2006
1,573 Posts
You will need to cut off the original one and solder it in place of the one you found on eBay.
camoy is offline Find More Posts by camoy
RCG Plus Member