Closed Thread
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:37 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
If you use it as 5.8GHz, it should work just fine. I think the FCC is finally cracking down on these illegal devices. I got a generic notice warning about importing non-compliant devices, and since we don't import anything, I am sure this was aimed at others that do.
I don't think that is what he is asking.

The goggles plug into the trainer port. With (some) Futaba transmitters you can assign the trainer input channels freely to the output ones at the same time that the sticks still control other ones. JR9303 for example can't do this.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:16 AM
Passion
Joined Sep 2009
322 Posts
Many security firms and law enforcement are using these hobby systems, including FPV in their duties. This will be a huge advantage.
Swen is offline Find More Posts by Swen
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:23 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,775 Posts
Thanks Pat, I did not get that out of the post. Yes, you can assign trainer port channels.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:14 PM
Brisbane Australia
Joined Mar 2003
568 Posts
Jim,
Are you saying that these goggles will plug directly into your new transmitter and we will be able to assign which channels they control?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Goggles_.html

With Futaba gear they plug into the trainer port and then the head tracker controls the assigned channels..This makes it a hassle free system.

I would prefer not to have to purchase a Futaba transmitter if possible.

Graeme Marion is offline Find More Posts by Graeme Marion
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16,644 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Pat, I did not get that out of the post. Yes, you can assign trainer port channels.
On a related note, can you use the PPM signals coming in as inputs to the mixers?
If you can, then almost anything is possible.

Pat Mackenzie
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:34 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,775 Posts
You can use the trainer port input signals for the channels, but that is passed directly to the processor, not the pre-processor. I didn't want anything changing the signal... but I suppose it is something I could look at in the future.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:37 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,775 Posts
Wow, I can't believe those goggles have 2490MHz and 2510MHz available. Those frequencies are reserved for federal agencies in the U.S. That's the biggest no-no you can possibly do in the eyes of the FCC/IC.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:00 PM
Brisbane Australia
Joined Mar 2003
568 Posts
The goggles do not transmit at all on any frequency.
They receive the signals from the transmitter in your aircraft.

They plug into the trainer port on your transmitter and control two channels on your transmitter to point the camera in the aircraft.

They are only receivers, not transmitters. .

Quote:
You can use the trainer port input signals for the channels, but that is passed directly to the processor, not the pre-processor. I didn't want anything changing the signal... but I suppose it is something I could look at in the future.
I know I am a little slow, but does this mean that I will be able plug them into the trainer port of your new transmitter and they will work as they are supposed to?
Graeme Marion is offline Find More Posts by Graeme Marion
Last edited by Graeme Marion; Sep 20, 2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:24 PM
Glitch Master
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Apr 2007
2,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Marion View Post
They plug into the trainer port on your transmitter and control two channels on your transmitter to point the camera in the aircraft.

They are only receivers, not transmitters.
The part in red is a functioning transmitter my friend. If you also look at the picture, you see a transmitting antenna built into the unit.
Jim Varley is offline Find More Posts by Jim Varley
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:43 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Rubbish. If you actually read the phrase you have highlighted you will see it says "...control two channels on your transmitter". There is no mention of transmitting any RF signal at all.

Nor can you tell from the photo whether the antenna is used for Tx or Rx. However, if you think for even a moment about the purpose of FPV goggles it should be clear that their only use of RF is to receive a video feed.

Control of the transmitter is acheived by generating a standard PPM signal on a cable that is plugged into the Tx trainer port. Two of the 8 channels in the PPM stream carry the pan and tilt signals. To control the pan-and-tilt mount on the model these input signals have to be mapped to output channels on the Tx for transmission to the Rx in the model.

Covey advised a long time ago that one should always "seek to understand before seeking to be understood".
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:45 PM
Passion
Joined Sep 2009
322 Posts
They might be receivers, but they receive from somewhere. That somewhere is the video transmitter in the plane which transmits at the given frequencies for the goggle to receive. The US is not the only country where RC and FPV is used and Hobbyking market all over the world, not in US only. In fact, in different other countries it might be perfectly legal to use those frequencies, all does not develop around the US only. Every person must verify it himself and adjust the video transmitter to the legal frequency, that is why different frequencies are available. It can use the various 2.4 and 5.8ghz as listed.
Swen is offline Find More Posts by Swen
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:55 PM
The Villages, Florida
Joined May 2003
447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Varley View Post
The part in red is a functioning transmitter my friend. If you also look at the picture, you see a transmitting antenna built into the unit.
I've looked at the specs on this unit and my conclusion is that they DO NOT transmit back to the aircraft.... only receive....

Maybe the "pointing the camera" business that Graeme is referring to is done by one or two channels on the transmitter itself......

The unit comes with TWO antennas but they are for receiving signals on 2.4 and 5.8 One is NOT for transmitting.....

That's my take on it anyway....
JuanRodriguez is offline Find More Posts by JuanRodriguez
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16,644 Posts
Quote:

I don't quite follow this ( since the definition of processor and pre-processor is specific to your code )
Does this mean only the raw PPM trainer port information can be sent to a any chosen output channel?
No way to adjust endpoints, subtrim, direction, or to use them mixed with other inputs?

If so this seems like quite a limitation.

If they were allowed to be inputs to the mixers (i.e what are called "master" channels in most transmitters) then you could do anything with them.

Pat MacKenzie
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:15 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
I don't quite follow this ( since the definition of processor and pre-processor is specific to your code )
Does this mean only the raw PPM trainer port information can be sent to a any chosen output channel?
No way to adjust endpoints, subtrim, direction, or to use them mixed with other inputs?

If so this seems like quite a limitation.

If they were allowed to be inputs to the mixers (i.e what are called "master" channels in most transmitters) then you could do anything with them.

Pat MacKenzie

Preprocessor might be the area where the pots and switches are "smoothed" and over sampled, so you would want the external inputs to go in just after this step since they should have already been processed from their source.

Now if preprocessor means after mixing and everything else, this would not be as useful, especially for trainer use.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:19 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,775 Posts
Anything going to the pre-processor can alter the signal output, including bypass the preset end points. I didn't want exactly what you are describing to be a possibility.
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread