HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2012, 11:43 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Mine's on the way too.
I got the A6 Intruder with it as a Freebie!
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2012, 07:25 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,127 Posts
I put my rx into my radjet 420 this afternoon and setup it up ready for a maiden in the morning. Ill just run the 2s zippy 180's in it for now and see how it goes.

What rates do I need to setup on it?

Ill take some footage and post it up soon.
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
Old Jun 01, 2012, 04:31 PM
Redwood City, CA USA
Joined Mar 2002
495 Posts
My low rate settings: total travel of 5mm for elevator and 6mm for aileron, and for high rate 8mm for elevator and 11mm for aileron.

Also using a little expo: 10% for low rate elevator, 15% for high rate elevator, 15% for low rate ailerons and 25% for high rate ailerons.

Good luck on your maiden launch. I usually put in a few clicks of up elevator before I launch the lil'RJ to give myself more time to get on the stick. Of course that doesn't always work as you can see from this video:
RadJet 420 micro with TE 3S lipo (3 min 44 sec)

Better to be lucky I guess well, looks like I will go back to launching from the edge over the tall weeds again.
planekrazy is offline Find More Posts by planekrazy
Last edited by planekrazy; Jun 01, 2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: added expo info
Old Jun 04, 2012, 03:39 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,127 Posts
well i meant what settings do you use on the transmitter.

I didnt maiden this plane as I noticed as I was about to hand launch it that one of the elevons had more movement then the other one.

How did you guys set it up with that 415rx? and what settings on a dx6i should i use?

Just set up elevons in the wingtail mix?

any help would be great thanks guys
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:27 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
Stal, check the travel adjustment and see if they are equal for both servos.
You will need to move the sticks and operate the roller in order to change the travel for both direction of each servo.
I would suggest doing a model reset on the radio and start fresh.
Yes, you will need to set it to elevon in the wingtail mix. one of the servo may also require to be reversed.
Is this your first elevon plane on the DX6i?
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:32 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
Stal, check the travel adjustment and see if they are equal for both servos.
You will need to move the sticks and operate the roller in order to change the travel for both direction of each servo.
I would suggest doing a model reset on the radio and start fresh.
Yes, you will need to set it to elevon in the wingtail mix. one of the servo may also require to be reversed.
Is this your first elevon plane on the DX6i?
no this is not my first elevon plane at all. Both the travel adjustments are both the same.

Ill try and reset the model now and rebind and set it up and see how I go.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:41 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,127 Posts
ok so i just reset up the model on my tx and rebound the model to the tx and it was still the same. So i physically grab the elevon that wasnt moving the same and moved it up and down a bit.

ALLY CAPRESTO its fixed.

They both move the same now. Must have been getting stuck a little bit

Just need the settings for the rates used on a dx6i?

low 25%? and high 50%?
Last edited by stalyoni; Jun 04, 2012 at 04:49 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 06:51 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
glad you managed to find the problem. I think it's safer to replace that servo.

25% and 50% is a good starting point for expo.

I can't help you on the endpoint rates as I am using a DX8.
The DX6i has a bug and it has lesser throws in elevon mode. I had to do a elevator-to-elevator mix and an ail-to-ail mix to get more throw out of it. i found the mix posted somewhere in the stryker F-27Q or UM stryker thread.

I suggest that you measure the travel and compare it to what planekrazy has posted instead of going by the value of the rates.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:57 AM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
stalyoni,
You can play with your rate settings to achieve the mm movements he recommended.

I see you fixed your travel problem but wanted to mention
that ALL (even current brand new) DX6i's have a factory mixing bug in elevon mode.
Some people never notice it but I could clearly see travels were not even or working properly.
There is a good work around found here that will fix you up:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=35
Old Jun 05, 2012, 05:45 AM
Redwood City, CA USA
Joined Mar 2002
495 Posts
stalyoni, absolute travel measurements for elevons were provided because D/R settings from one TX do not necessarily map to every other tx brand/model.

In case you are still looking for tx settings, I use an old JR XP9303 TX and my D/R settings for the RadJet 420 are elevator low rate 35% and high rate 50%; aileron low rate 45% and high rate 75%.

btw, I wanted to share with everyone that the Turnigy B1230-4100 motor started stuttering after about 20 flights of running on the 3S setup. No surprise given that I was really pushing the motor well beyond its rated limits. This is the same stuttering that the AP05 in my Critical Mass started doing after running on 3S setup for 8 flights. The good news is that all 3 of my Plush 6A ESCs still work great, and never had a problem with 3S setups so far. I ordered one of those new BL1230-4200kv motors from HK to see if it will survive 3S using a less aggressive prop such as the GWS 2510.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 09:02 AM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Thanks for the 3s update!
Guess I'll stay on 2s.
My 420 arrived yesterday.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 06:13 PM
Redwood City, CA USA
Joined Mar 2002
495 Posts
You betcha. That 1230 was running hot on 3S flight after flight but I resisted added cooling provisions and reducing the prop size -- wanted to push it hard to see if/when it would break. So on this next motor, I will back-off a bit and see how long that one lasts. Have not given up on those little 1230 inrunners. It will be at least a couple weeks before the replacement arrives, so for now my micro RJ is grounded.

Congrats on your new RadJet and let us know how you like the stock setup and/or if you decide to upgrade anything. Please note that when my RTF arrived, one of two the pre-installed HK-5320 elevon micro servos had a centering problem. It would jitter on its own and when control input was added and then moved back to neutral the offending servo would overshoot center in both directions. Wasn't going to maiden the thing like that, so replaced the pre-installed servo with a new hk-5320 spare servo and all was fine after that. I read at least one other report about that happening to someone else as well that so make sure to check for proper reliable centering before the maiden. The four 5320s that arrived pre-installed in my Critical Mass and 6 extra ones I purchased for the micro Rare Bear kit and spares all work fine, no centering issues, so hopefully all of you servos work well. Best to you.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:52 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
PK, just curious for future reference, what's involved in installing a 1230 motor?

And thanks for the servo warning...
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:19 AM
Redwood City, CA USA
Joined Mar 2002
495 Posts
Sure thing, posted pics in post on the previous page of how the b1230 inrunner is installed on my RadJet micro. The pics are near bottom of post #113 (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=113)
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:38 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,127 Posts
finally got around to the maiden of my micro radjet 420. Had two flights with it and didnt like it at all. Wasnt as near as fast as I thought it would be. Even on 100% rates it was still not enough throw.

I thought this little bird would be allot of fun but sadly it was not at all.

Took it home and listed it up for sale and sold it 5 mins later. CBF modding it. I have a 1mtr red eagle wing that is way quicker.