Joined Sep 2004
611 Posts
AgentCow007 is offline Find More Posts by AgentCow007
Old Sep 26, 2010, 07:13 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,350 Posts
Let's not restart the quarreling. Tarro closed the thread for a reason. A good reason.
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2010, 08:10 PM
Why is the Rum gone?
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2008
1,668 Posts
thread closing in 3... 2.. 1.
sim_io is offline Find More Posts by sim_io
Old Sep 26, 2010, 08:22 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim_io View Post
thread closing in 3... 2.. 1.
I am right about saying that video was irresponsible, you are wrong about it back firing.
Later
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Old Sep 26, 2010, 08:32 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,033 Posts
To me it's amazing that nobody commented about Gabriel flying over tens of thousands of people at Burning Man and hand caught his plane atop a bus full of innocent bystanders who took what he was doing for granted.

I'm sure he asked no one there for permission to fly overhead.

Nice video, but I'd hate to have to say I'm sorry to that many people if something went wrong.

At least the paraglider fliers were aware and the closing speeds were very low.

My two cents.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:56 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,348 Posts
Tarro,

I wish I could have posted in your thread, but it is closed. As most people know, I am the last person to get paranoid or worried about FPV, but this video does worry me.

Everyone here is concentrating on the impact of a small foam plane, which is a NON ISSUE, it may not feel great, but its not going to seriously hurt anyone. What is a HUGE DANGER here is if the plane were to get caught in the paragliders lines, or one of the chutes cells. Even a small foam plane caught in the lines of a paraglider could render it uncontrollable, and result in the death of the pilot. Combine this with huge area of many lines in the paraglider, and it would be very easy for the FPV plane to becomes entangled. It takes very little drag on the side of a paraglider to result in an uncontrollable turn.

So bottom line is, did Ian arrange with the paragliders to formation flight with them ??? If yes, then they are all adults and more power to them. I fully support concenting adults accepting risks and doing whatever crazy things they like as long as they do not harm others. My guess is that Ian did talk with these guys beforehand, I remember him posting something about this subject many months ago. This was a very cool video, and very nice flying on Ian's part.

If Ian, or anyone else flew in close proximity to paragliders without being arranged and agreed to by all parties, then I would say this is a really bad idea, because there is a very real risk to the paraglider pilot, and it should only be done if he agrees to it.

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:04 AM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2004
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
Tarro,

I wish I could have posted in your thread, but it is closed. As most people know, I am the last person to get paranoid or worried about FPV, but this video does worry me.
That guy has posted several videos, his plane is unpowered and has the paragliders consent (and persuasion), and there's nothing a plane could do to a paraglider that a bird couldn't. Hopefully the FAA is reading this and is writing legislation to ban birds as we speak. They are a huge threat to manned aviation. Then after that's settled, the FAA can finally get around to legislating bad weather. It's been taking a while for that one. I imagine the wording has to be meticulous, and the penalties severe.
AgentCow007 is offline Find More Posts by AgentCow007
Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:08 AM
Australia
Joined Oct 2003
899 Posts
Mike, I'd have to agree with you. As a paragilder pilot myself I'd be pissed if that thing came anywhere near my canopy. Doesn't take much to tangle a line and or to collapse a cell, which depending on altitude can be catastrophic.

Bottom line for those thinking of trying the same thing. Do what Daemon did and ask first . Seems ok to me.
Griffo is offline Find More Posts by Griffo
Last edited by Griffo; Sep 27, 2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:51 AM
Joined Jun 2010
561 Posts
nabazul is offline Find More Posts by nabazul
Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:52 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,395 Posts
Jeez.. Guess I missed all the excitement. I never even saw the thread.
I was out flying all day.

I've been flying FPV with these guys (who I consider my friends, and they consider
me their friend) for a couple years, and we've been sharing the same airspace
for a decade. We have a *really good* relationship between R/C and PG/HG
communities here (unlike a lot of other places around the country/world).
I already explained in great detail in the FPV videos thread the thought processes and
safety measures I take while flying with them *all the time*. Due to video editing,
you miss all the boring bits where I might be looking at paragliders from 200+ yards away,
figuring out how best to enter the pattern safely, and the steps I take to ensure
that when I peel off I'm clear of aircraft behind me (because I'm keeping
track of where all of them at my level are), and so forth.

What truly boggles the mind is that after 2 years of me posting many videos of flying with
the PGs and HGs with gradual increasing confidence and mutual interactions between
them and me, Tarro only noticed this one today and throws a fit. There's absolutely
no way that he can possibly have any idea what my situational awareness is, by
looking at 9 highly edited minutes out of 100 minute flight.

Anyway, below are some public comments from the PG/HG pilots I fly with from this last
vid, posted in their own forum. where I post all my vids. I have *never* had a
negative comment from any of them on their forum, or in person, and whenever they've
posted my vids to other national PG/HG forums the response is generally always positive.
Such irony that the only place people are attacking me is the FPV forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSparks
Ian, I followed you nearly as far as Coors, about a hundred yards behind you. You showed me a big thermal that I couldn't pass by

Nice vid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeehan
too cool, ian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wingit
You know Daemon you have actually become a very good pilot, in our world. You study the weather just like we do and you seem to feel the same feel we do in the air. I think that is awsome. I do feel that brotherhood when I fly with you.

MR
And from a previous flight and video

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wingit
That's pretty cool stuff Ian. But I still can't believe that deep down in your heart of hearts, that you wouldn't really rather be up there with us.
MR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy
Those are some freakin' fantastic shots, Ian. You truly are a mad professor. It was a little eerie looking over my shoulder and right into the lens of your UAV... I was the guy in the cocoon harness on the glider with the red leading edge. Welcome to the machine, I guess...

Good work, sir!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laynester
Watching Ian's video made me feel that I was there for a little bit! Oh well, maybe Tues - Wed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Webster
Ian - that's me in the green & white wing. I got a couple of shots of you; check out below. That was fun flying close with you - and thanks for posting the video. Very cool.
And a couple of the photos he's referring to

[edit]BTW.. Tarro.. buddy-o-pal. Do you see a motor on my EZG in
the photos above? Yes, I *am* the only FPV pilot in the world who learned to fly
FPV entirely on a plane with no motor, 3 years ago. Where he heck have you been?

Oh, and looking the pics, see why I *strongly* advocate using super high visibility
color schemes? I want my FPV plane to always be as visible to other pilots in the sky.

Anyway, I'll continue to fly with them. MR (one of the commenters above)
said he's got a cool stunt he wants me to catch on video while I'm flying directly
behind him. Looking forward to it.

ian

P.S. Thanks to those who *are* paying attention for setting the record straight in the other thread.
There's nothing there (or here for that matter) that I haven't publicly posted before.
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Sep 27, 2010 at 02:48 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 01:23 AM
N00b
Boise
Joined Mar 2009
974 Posts
God damn that is freaking awesome! only close up photo I have seen of an FPV plane doing its job, I once saw a para sailer get drug along the rocks as a child. even the para gliders are at way more risk to other things than an FPV plane. how about lets not freak out and make threads about how dangerous this is if we really don't want FPV to get banned.
dr_patso is offline Find More Posts by dr_patso
Old Sep 27, 2010, 01:25 AM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,474 Posts
cool video and especially the pictures Ian.

BTW You are not the only one to ever fly fpv with out a motor. Maybe the first however.
Been there myself but prefer powered gliders by a long shot.

Tarro you really are a funny guy, at least you make me laugh
you keep on hitting yourself on the head
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Old Sep 27, 2010, 01:33 AM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
"feel that brotherhood when I fly with you" That's so cool, they really have accepted you as part of the group, and you've helped them find thermals!! lol, awesome.

You should get a few of them to post here.

Cheers, Kev.
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Old Sep 27, 2010, 02:25 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,255 Posts
I would love to do what Ian does but I know that I will never have the skill, nerve or know the people he does. Well as long as he keeps posting I can enjoy it through his edited eyes.
whakahere is offline Find More Posts by whakahere
Closed Thread