HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:29 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco2fly View Post
At lunch today I ran into a fella that I sold my old DX7 to and he said he was having no luck getting Flaps to work.

I went through the drill, Go into Wing type make sure you have the correct flap setting,
then Go into Switch assignment make sure you have it set to Flap switch. Finally, set the % for each switch position, I suggested 0%, 25%, 45%. He said he had done all this, but the flap servo still did not move.

Have I overlooked something?
He said he is using a Spektrum receiver but didn't indicate which one.

Thanks

KKKKFL
Franco
I had to go back and look again but yes that is basically correct.It was a bit confusing with the DX7(original). The setting is actually on the Input Select screen.Make sure flap is set to System.This will make the Flap system be controlled by the FMode switch(the only 3 way).IIRC this is the Flap switch on an air version Tx and is on the front of radio instead of top left.I always suggest for starters to make sure trim is Inh.Then go to main menus and check Flap menu.Default values should be 100/0/-100 .Might want to set them all to 0 before powering the Rx/model up so it doesnt drive to 100 and possibly bust something if that is too much travel.Then once its powered up crank the appropriate values in(Im sure you know that but sometimes it gets overlooked) .Other than that it should be doing what is reflected on the Monitor screen.If not it may be plugged into the wrong channel.
Check Monitor screen to see what channel the Flap values are running on(should be Aux1/Ch6).Make sure flap servo(s) are plugged into that channel.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:32 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
That is right. I want to have the throttle on the trainer button operated as an on/off switch, but still have a delayed spool-up. What I want to achieve and the reason why is best described in this blog: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1664669

So if I disable the stick (thr->thr mix), assign the trainer button to a free channel and enable servo delay on it and mix it back to throttle channel, I would achieve the same as if I just put the esc wire in the free channel on the rx, right? But: if throttle curve settings are active with the throttle as slave channel I might be getting close to what I'm after. I'm thinking a second of delay along something like a 0-50-75-90-100 throttle curve.
Will the throttle curve settings be active in this scenario?
Ok I see what your doing.Im not exactly sure if playing with the TCurve will give you a 2 stage ramp speed.Ill have to play with it some more and see.You are on the right track.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:32 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
Ok I see what your doing.Im not exactly sure if playing with the TCurve will give you a 2 stage ramp speed.Ill have to play with it some more and see.You are on the right track.
Great! Let me know if you can find anything
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:31 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,405 Posts
Is it necessary to rebind receiver after setting up a new model in a DX8?

Thank you.
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:47 PM
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Dec 2010
106 Posts
I have a DX8, the STi and an iPhone. I see the high current sensor became available in the UK very recently.
Before I spend good money on one (or a few), can anyone tell me exactly what functionality it will give me?
On the Tx, I seem to be able to select a reading of amps. On the iPhone app, I can't see anywhere to select a gauge for amps.
More importantly to me, does anyone know if the Tx or the app will ever calculate mAh used for me?
aV8erUK is offline Find More Posts by aV8erUK
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:51 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
Is it necessary to rebind receiver after setting up a new model in a DX8?

Thank you.
From the manual...

"After setting up your model, rebind the system so the true low throttle and neutral control surface positions are set."
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:29 PM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Jan 2012
932 Posts
If you fly electrics, then this sensor will surely be a must have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aV8erUK View Post
I have a DX8, the STi and an iPhone. I see the high current sensor became available in the UK very recently.
Before I spend good money on one (or a few), can anyone tell me exactly what functionality it will give me?
On the Tx, I seem to be able to select a reading of amps. On the iPhone app, I can't see anywhere to select a gauge for amps.
More importantly to me, does anyone know if the Tx or the app will ever calculate mAh used for me?
czorzella is offline Find More Posts by czorzella
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:34 AM
Joined Dec 2010
106 Posts
Not if it only tells me instantaneous amps. I can get that on the ground with a simple wattmeter.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:55 AM
Joined Dec 2010
106 Posts
A very simple calculation of amps against time would give me a readout of mAh used, giving me a very good idea of how much "fuel" I have left. It's all I ever wanted telemetry for.
Also
If a low voltage alarm cuts in earlier than I expected, I can respond to that and then investigate whether the battery is not holding a full charge any more etc.
Is it time to give up waiting and hoping, and just go for something like this ?http://www.wireless-copilot.com/safe2fly.aspx
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:37 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,323 Posts
Isn't that pretty much what the Quanum LiPo voltage/temp/current monitor has been doing for a while?

And at less cost and on 2.4.

Doesn't have the voice announcement though just an alarm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aV8erUK View Post
A very simple calculation of amps against time would give me a readout of mAh used, giving me a very good idea of how much "fuel" I have left. It's all I ever wanted telemetry for.
Also
If a low voltage alarm cuts in earlier than I expected, I can respond to that and then investigate whether the battery is not holding a full charge any more etc.
Is it time to give up waiting and hoping, and just go for something like this ?http://www.wireless-copilot.com/safe2fly.aspx
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:31 AM
Joined Dec 2010
106 Posts
Yes absolutely, as do other radio manufacturers telemetry systems, just not the horse I backed - Spektrum...

I'm just asking if it might come, and when?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Isn't that pretty much what the Quanum LiPo voltage/temp/current monitor has been doing for a while?

And at less cost and on 2.4.

Doesn't have the voice announcement though just an alarm.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:49 AM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,405 Posts
Does the DX8 have a throtlle Cut or Hold fnction (switch) for electric airplanes?
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:16 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,644 Posts
Yes. In acro Enable Throttle Cut from the Function List menu.

If you fly with trim neutral position then the value you will be looking for proper TC is 29-30$

Watch the Servo Monitor so the throttle channel does not move either way when you toggle T.C.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:54 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Yes. In acro Enable Throttle Cut from the Function List menu.

If you fly with trim neutral position then the value you will be looking for proper TC is 29-30$

Watch the Servo Monitor so the throttle channel does not move either way when you toggle T.C.
I find 24% always works for me IIRC. I would imagine electric has out paced nitro at this point. I wish they would change the defaults. That raises a good idea. It would be low hanging fruit to have some kind of Defaults screen to set defaults on new models. I guess you could setup a ModelTemplate model and copy that.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:03 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,644 Posts
If 24 is your magic number then you either don't have throttle channel set to 100% or trim/sub-trim neutral perfectly.

The reason for my post about 29-30% is based on mathematics
100% channel travel and 30% allowable throttle trim.

Not saying that's bad or wrong, just saying by default the TC value with trim centered is 29-30%.

Andy can comment on it with the detail specifics about this but I know what I said is correct, I hope.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip