HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:16 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,480 Posts
If you are flying with high rates that are giving you more than 3/8 throw, you may be stalling the wing.
When on high rates and flying level, try giving full up elevator for a tight loop, if you snap roll instead of loop, you may benefit from toning the throws down.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Been there done that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedots View Post
Successful Maiden today!

In spite of the 15 to 20 mph winds I flew the Assassin about 6 times. The first hand launch was easier than I was expecting. I gave her a couple of clicks of up trim and a couple of clicks of left trim. With the winds knocking it around a bit I couldn't be real precise in my trimming but I feel like I have it pretty close. I was flying with two settings. Low rates set for the recomended 3/8 inch travel up and down with 40% expo. High rates was double the recomneded throw and with a 50% expo. I think it would feel the best somewhere in between. Or maybe I'll keep the settings, low for high speed, high rates for low speed. Either way the wind was knocking me around so I'll have to re-evaluate on a calm day but I'm very happy with this flying wing.

Only one thing to ask:

When at a 90 degree bank and making a hard left hand turn she seemed to stay pretty level. But when at a 90 degree bank and making a hard right hand turn she would descend in the hard turn unless I compensated. Is that something to get used to with a flying wing or will some type of aileron / elevon differencial help with that?

Thanks,

Steve
I had too much of everything, elevons and elevator and the result was that it fell out of the sky during a turn and pulling up on the elevator. The cause for that was excessive throws and during the turn the high elevator throw killed the lift over the airfoil and it fell out of the sky. Took forever to find it that day so when you are testing don't be too surprised if you get similar results.
However the different feel and flight when turning might be associated with the rotation and torque of the motor. Not an expert but I get the same thing, nice and smooth one way and not so smooth the other direction.
Fun plane to fly. Good luck.
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:24 PM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedots View Post
When at a 90 degree bank and making a hard left hand turn she seemed to stay pretty level. But when at a 90 degree bank and making a hard right hand turn she would descend in the hard turn unless I compensated. Is that something to get used to with a flying wing or will some type of aileron / elevon differencial help with that?

Thanks,

Steve
Are you using the default elevon mix on the DX6i? That mix has well-documented problems.

Otherwise, I dial in much more aileron travel than elevator travel. But I'm a fan of expo (at least on high rates) so I can roll 3-4x/second going fast down runway or in a high speed dive.
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:51 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,015 Posts
We use huge elevons to decrease drag. Since they are so big they only need to move a little.

Here is a fun video of the Scythe I shot with a keychain camera on the Scythe. The roll rate is as seen from the plane.

Scythe Target Practice (3 min 32 sec)
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:06 AM
Medford, Massachusetts USA
Joined Feb 2008
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Flyer View Post
Are you using the default elevon mix on the DX6i? That mix has well-documented problems.

Otherwise, I dial in much more aileron travel than elevator travel. But I'm a fan of expo (at least on high rates) so I can roll 3-4x/second going fast down runway or in a high speed dive.
I'm using Futaba but thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'll try my turns again on low rates and then on high and see the difference. If it still happens on low rates then I'll try reducing elevator travel and see how that works out.

I forgot to say that during the first days flights I did have a landing that went long and I slid into one of our flight stations nose first. The flight stations are made of wrought iron! This incredible plane just bounced off with no damage at all....I forgot to check the wrought iron for damage!!

Thanks,
Steve
Stevedots is offline Find More Posts by Stevedots
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:32 AM
TOO MUCH FUN!!
USA, SC, CAMPOBELLO
Joined Jun 2002
283 Posts
Here is my ASSASSIN #2
All I have to do is cut in the battery slot and glue in my velcro strap and I am ready to fly.

17.5 oz total
Power-up 370 Zoom Motor
30 Amp ESC
HS82 MG Servos
APC 6X4 Prop
Orange RX
1300 Battery
billdad1 is offline Find More Posts by billdad1
Last edited by billdad1; Nov 07, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:15 PM
Medford, Massachusetts USA
Joined Feb 2008
361 Posts
Hey Billdad1, nice paint job, that first photo, with the color fading into the dark color is so close of a match to the rug it looks like the Wing was turning transparent.

Had my second day with the wing and after some adjustment (with help from this thread) it is flying great. I reduced the throws to a little less than recomended (haven't measure the new throws yet). On my Futaba ex6 I reduced the % of elevator travel from 47% that gave me the stock 3/8th of an inch up and down to 37%, so a 10% reduction in throws up and down. Then Jack one of the guys at my club (who designs delta's for pylon racing) suggested moving each servo arm one notch toward the tail. That way mechanically reducing the down throw vs the up throw.

After making both those changes the Wing is flying great! It now stays level in a tight right and left turn and the loops are now loops and not cork screws! And all this is on a windy day, can't wait to try it out on a calm day!

Assassin: weight with motor and battery - 22 1/2 oz or 635 grams
Motor: E-flite Park 370 1360 KV
Prop: 8x6E APC
Lipo: 3s 2200 35c Hyperion
E-flite 30 Amp ESC (left over from an upgraded T-28)
Ground Test: 20.79 amps - 253 Watts (start up with full lipo)

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions!

Steve
Stevedots is offline Find More Posts by Stevedots
Last edited by Stevedots; Nov 06, 2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:09 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,371 Posts
Has anyone settled on this airframe for roudy fpv platform?
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:47 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
I know a few have, but CrashTestHobby's Grim Reaper or Deep Reaper are much more popular for FPV
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:03 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
We use huge elevons to decrease drag. Since they are so big they only need to move a little.

Here is a fun video of the Scythe I shot with a keychain camera on the Scythe. The roll rate is as seen from the plane.
Lee,
You need to post a WARNING on that video for people that get motion sick.
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:51 AM
Where did that tree come from
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdad1 View Post
Here is my ASSASSIN #2
All I have to do is cut in the battery slot and glue in my velcro strap and I am ready to fly.

17.5 oz total
Power-up 370 Zoom Motor
30 Amp ESC
HS82 MG Servos
APC 6X4 Prop
Orange RX
Great paint job. Let's us know how your maiden goes.
kid at 55 is offline Find More Posts by kid at 55
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:40 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,935 Posts
With the 370 Zoom you are going to have a blast! Hold on

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:05 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Wheres a good source for led strips in the us? Hobbyking has the colors i want in different warehouses..... Time to try the night flyin
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Jun 2011
123 Posts
hobbypartz.com
Whomprat is offline Find More Posts by Whomprat
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:17 AM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,054 Posts
Try Valuehobby.com as well. Excellent service, fast shipping