Destroyer of Cell's!!!
matfield,tonbridge, kent,england
Joined May 2001
363 Posts
Nigel Hawes NEW 45" TUCANO

Hi all
has anyone seen this

http://tucanobuild.tripod.com

the one we've all been waiting for!!! its here on this website. i am currently building a pre-production kit and Nige has certainly lived up to his reputation the balsa is superb it is going together easily imagine this a precovered wing 45" span weighing in at a little over 6oz's. its the same flat sheet wing as the first tucano and powered by a 600 geared motor upwards to AXI 2820/10.
I can't wait to see the squadron of them at Sandown this year. i think anyone who liked the first tucano will be blown away by the new one!!! i've been told on an AXI 2820/10 on ten cells it has unlimited vertical performance and is availiable with an under-carriage as well have a look at the above link i'm sure Nige is onto another winner
regards
nasa_steve
nasa_steve is offline Find More Posts by nasa_steve
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2003, 05:03 PM
S.A.D Member
West Midlands
Joined Jun 2002
986 Posts
45' tucano pictures

some pictures of build
gooseman is offline Find More Posts by gooseman
Old Feb 14, 2003, 05:06 PM
S.A.D Member
West Midlands
Joined Jun 2002
986 Posts
more pictures
Old Feb 14, 2003, 05:07 PM
S.A.D Member
West Midlands
Joined Jun 2002
986 Posts
more
Old Feb 14, 2003, 05:17 PM
S.A.D Member
West Midlands
Joined Jun 2002
986 Posts
45' Tucano

gents,
Let me improve on nasa steve's comments.

I was at nigels on saturday and sundasy,we went flying on sunday in blustering weather and he still chose to fly the new geared version.
1 It flew right out of his hand he held it above the fus just behind the cockpit.
2 it flew like a demon and i dont know if that was just his good flying skills!! i tend to believe the model made his below average flying skills look good.
3 I watched him do stall turns,fly inverted and fast and gentle rolls.
4 He shut motor down to just above idle and half up elevator and this damn things would not stall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5 If anyone has concerns about it stalling abilities and if it would drop a wing DONT it doesnt.
6 The axi motor will make this MONSTER a excellant plane and give your hours and hours of FUN the idea of the hobby huh

Regarding the Kit

I as well was one of the few lucky one's to be presented wit ha pre production kit.
Well if the balsa wasnt in a heavy cardboard box i swear it would have floated on its own.I have not seen balsa of this grade and quality in any LHS.
It seems nigels timeless efforts at selecting only the best grade balsa has yet again paid off in a QUALITY,EASY TO BUILT,FULL PERFORMANCE MODEL.

Never allow anyone to tell you flat wings dont fly.They havent seen one of these in action!!!

The gooseman
"Fly Safe"
Old Feb 14, 2003, 05:33 PM
REGISTERED LUNATIC!
Carlisle, Cumbria UK
Joined Jun 2001
390 Posts
When Gooseman said "below average flying skills" he WASN'T joking!
Here's a good example of my incompetence during the same flying session!
Oh well...
Nige.
FLY ELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by FLY ELECTRIC
Old Feb 14, 2003, 05:36 PM
S.A.D Member
West Midlands
Joined Jun 2002
986 Posts
added this one better quality image as size is a factor it seems on here lol
Old Feb 14, 2003, 05:42 PM
S.A.D Member
West Midlands
Joined Jun 2002
986 Posts
Mustprang crash

and if anyone wants i can post the video of that ill fated flight.

funny thing was he was more interested in getting the bit of mud out the axi motor then worrying about his poor well flown and well crashed on NUMEROUS occasions MUSTPRANG!! but he assuredme it would be flyable in 1 hour and unfortunately i had to leave to drive 250 miles back hoe i never did gte to see it put together again but i have NO doubt with a bit of cyna,some "and i might add he keeps a roll in his pocket" sticky tape clear 3M brand it is probably rebuilt and on the garage floor ready for another day.............

The Gooseman
"Fly Safe"
Old Feb 14, 2003, 06:01 PM
King's Lynn,Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
423 Posts
Well Said Gooseman!!

I buy my Balsa from the same place as Nige as it's only a few miles up the road from me, but even I can't buy that grade of Balsa, it simply doesn't make it to the shelves!!

Weight is not as critical here as it was on the 400 Tucano, especially if one is proposing the AXI 2820/10, however, the lighter the model, the better power/weight ratio and hence better performance.

What I do find great about the model is how amazingly 'crisp' the response is, but not a hint of being 'twitchy'. It's like flying on exponential (I did have to check my radio!!!!) This makes four pount rolls and stall turns look superb. I guess that's down to the geometry of the model (Not a million miles away from being a pattern ship).

Clearly a lot of work has been put into getting the design of this model 'right'. with a team of pre-production builders, test flight feedback, and even a web site!!

For anyone who built the 400 tucano, this one's much easier to build as the bits aint fiddly (Being 50% bigger).

Okay, here goes with my Build pictures, this is what soft Balsa should look like........

Steve_Bennington is offline Find More Posts by Steve_Bennington
Old Feb 14, 2003, 08:56 PM
Destroyer of Cell's!!!
Joined May 2001
363 Posts
hi guys
i'm at this stage in around 4hrs build time over the course of the last few evenings
regards
nasa_steve
Old Feb 14, 2003, 08:57 PM
Destroyer of Cell's!!!
Joined May 2001
363 Posts
for those who want a size comparison here's the new with the original.......
Old Feb 14, 2003, 09:45 PM
United States, MA, Chelmsford
Joined Jul 2000
3,425 Posts
Love It!

I have built and flown Nigel 400 Tucano as well as the Spifire that uses the same wing type. Are these available yet? If so how do I order one. Also what thickness balsa are you using for the wing, 3/8" ?

Ralph
Ralph A. D'Amelio is offline Find More Posts by Ralph A. D'Amelio
Old Feb 15, 2003, 01:44 AM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
Looks great guys! Gotta have one. How long 'til the official release date? Or is it already here?

Jeff
Jeff Charlot is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Charlot
Old Feb 15, 2003, 03:13 AM
REGISTERED LUNATIC!
Carlisle, Cumbria UK
Joined Jun 2001
390 Posts
Hi Guys,
Here's a size comparison of the finished model. Only 50% bigger but it looks twice as big!
Kits are available now with priority to those who have previously built the 400-sized version. Contact me through the website!
Best wishes,
Nige.
FLY ELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by FLY ELECTRIC
Last edited by FLY ELECTRIC; Feb 23, 2003 at 04:40 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2003, 08:05 AM
Cumbria, UK
Joined Aug 2002
120 Posts
Hi
I've been lucky enough to put one of these together, and I was also privileged (!) to watch Nige put together a full fuselage in double-quick time!
Extensive testing modification of the templates means that the fit of the parts is superb, and the balsa has to be seen, felt, and smelt to be believed!! Sanding it is a hobby in itself!!
Because of it's larger size, there are many more scale features incorporated, and it really is a Tucano-she's a beautiful design, kit, and flyer.
I highly reccomend it!!
Matt
fat matt is offline Find More Posts by fat matt
Last edited by fat matt; Feb 15, 2003 at 08:08 AM.
Closed Thread