SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:16 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
535 Posts
It arrived today !!!

And, I don't even have to worry about sourcing a motor prop combo as, unbeknown to me, in the box along with everything else was a speed400 complete with the esc attached and the special folding prop.

And the best bit; I had to pay the grand sum of only 35 Euros for all of this.

Sometimes life smiles kindly upon us....I feel very lucky.

I'm going to fit HS55's as I have a couple spare and I've ordered a couple of 1800 2S lipos @ 105g each which should do the job nicely I believe.

Not going to hurry the build, I want everything to be just so and lavish some real care and attention over it.

Steve.
stevespana is offline Find More Posts by stevespana
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:56 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevespana View Post
It arrived today !!!

And, I don't even have to worry about sourcing a motor prop combo as, unbeknown to me, in the box along with everything else was a speed400 complete with the esc attached and the special folding prop.

And the best bit; I had to pay the grand sum of only 35 Euros for all of this.

Sometimes life smiles kindly upon us....I feel very lucky.

I'm going to fit HS55's as I have a couple spare and I've ordered a couple of 1800 2S lipos @ 105g each which should do the job nicely I believe.

Not going to hurry the build, I want everything to be just so and lavish some real care and attention over it.

Steve.
Very nice!!! Looking forward to your build and flying reports of your new Elektro Uhu.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:33 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
535 Posts
I started the build today which in reality is a non event.

Compared to my Terry S, the fit of the individual parts is much better and the whole kit goes together very easily and very quickly. It would be difficult to make a hash of building the Uhu.

I've been doing the build bit by bit, really taking my time, dry fitting and double checking everything before commiting adhesive to anything.

So far:

Wing completed - spar, end covers, exit hole for motor connection.
Fuselage CF tail boom glued in place.
Tail plane and top rear of fuselage/fin glued together.
Outer snakes glued into rear fuselage.
Canopy/fuselage clips glued in place.

The basic build will easily be completed tomorrow.

If this flies as well as it goes together I'll be well pleased.

Steve.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 04:05 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
I started the build today which in reality is a non event.

Compared to my Terry S, the fit of the individual parts is much better and the whole kit goes together very easily and very quickly. It would be difficult to make a hash of building the Uhu.

I've been doing the build bit by bit, really taking my time, dry fitting and double checking everything before commiting adhesive to anything.

So far:

Wing completed - spar, end covers, exit hole for motor connection.
Fuselage CF tail boom glued in place.
Tail plane and top rear of fuselage/fin glued together.
Outer snakes glued into rear fuselage.
Canopy/fuselage clips glued in place.

The basic build will easily be completed tomorrow.

If this flies as well as it goes together I'll be well pleased.

Steve.

Maybe share some pics when you are finished?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 05:22 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
535 Posts
Will do Doubletap.

I'm thinking of one or two minor mods and will certainly highlight these with pics.

Steve.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:54 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
535 Posts
Managed to do a bit more on the Uhu today which mainly consisted of reinforcing small areas of the fuselage with 2mm carbon fibre rod. Perhaps not an absolute necessity but given the slim profile of the model I thought why not.

After marking out I carefully cut channels and glued in the CF in the following locations.

One length 210mm along the underside starting about 25mm from the nose and ending about 10mm ahead of the front wing stud.

Two lengths of 270mm. These are located along both sides of the wing saddle. They more or less start at the front of the Rx bay and continue to the trailing edge.

I was very careful not to introduce any warps or deformation of the foam and once again dry fitted before applying adhesive. The process has added 5g to the weight of the fuselage.

The fuselage is now much more rigid as a result of the Cf inserts.

I will try to post some pics.

Steve.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 04:12 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
535 Posts
Lipo's arrived this morning so I had everything needed to get cracking with the build. More or less completed half an hour ago.

Just need to set up the rudder and elevator throws, add some simple decoration and get the C of G sorted.

AUW looks to be in the region of 475g which is a bit heavier than I expected.

Steve.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 04:21 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Lipo's arrived this morning so I had everything needed to get cracking with the build. More or less completed half an hour ago.

Just need to set up the rudder and elevator throws, add some simple decoration and get the C of G sorted.

AUW looks to be in the region of 475g which is a bit heavier than I expected.

Steve.
HAHA! they always come out heavier than we expect!

My ElektroUhu is 500g ready to fly with a 2S 2200, btw, are you using a 2S or 3s lipo?
Old Sep 23, 2011, 01:32 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
535 Posts
I will be using 1800mah 2S lipo.

Still thinking about fitting the main wheel or leaving it out. It looks great but as I don't have a smooth landing area it would be pointless I guess.

Steve.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 09:45 AM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
I will be using 1800mah 2S lipo.

Still thinking about fitting the main wheel or leaving it out. It looks great but as I don't have a smooth landing area it would be pointless I guess.

Steve.
I didn't use the wheels, as I hand launch and belly land on grass, so there was no point to add additional unneeded weight.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:14 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
535 Posts
Finally found some time to complete the Uhu today.

By the way Doubletap, thanks for your interest and input. It's been much appreciated.

The AUW is bang on 500g, which for me, is disappointingly heavy in comparison to the 450-475g that most have quoted in this thread. And, in comparison to Jurgen's 436g it's positively obese. However, I'm sure it will still prove to be a good floaty plane for some relaxed soaring.

I have set the CofG at 80mm from the wing LE as a starting point. To achieve this CofG I had to add 15g of weight in addition to the 110g 1800 2S Lipo. I will modify to suit after flight testing. Perhaps I'll be able to remove some of the addirional weight up front.

I have set up dual rates on my DX6i: Low rate as per stock recommendation; High rate to give me about 30% more rudder throw and about 25% more up elevator.

The plan is to initially test fly using the stock settings.

For the moment I'm going to take some pre-maiden pics of the Uhu in all its graceful and pristine beauty. Will upload them as soon as I can.

Steve.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:18 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
535 Posts
Pics of my completed Uhu.

Self made minimalist decoration to try to achieve understated elegance.

Steve.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:21 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Steve, your Elektro Uhu looks Great!

Will you be doing the maiden flight soon?
Old Sep 28, 2011, 01:19 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
The AUW is bang on 500g, which for me, is disappointingly heavy in comparison to the 450-475g that most have quoted in this thread. And, in comparison to Jurgen's 436g it's positively obese....
Hi Steve,

That's quite a bit of extra weight you've got here. I wonder whether your UHU was made from denser (i.e. heavier) foam?

I find it a bit strange that you reinforced the wing saddle rather than the sleek nose section.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Sep 28, 2011, 01:45 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
Steve, your Elektro Uhu looks Great!

Will you be doing the maiden flight soon?
Thanks Doubletap.
If the weather holds I hope to do the maiden later today. I haven't flown for about 10 days so I might take out something else first to get my brain back into gear.

I will report back.

Steve.