SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 03, 2006, 05:25 PM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,923 Posts
Discussion
Reccomend setup for someone wanting to move beyond AeroAce?

After having much fun with an Aero Ace and a (now departed) X-twin, I've decided to try getting into "real" R/C again, but this time the micro-sized route. I personally prefer to fly inside anyway, and I have access to many places where I am able to do so.

Here's what I was thinking:
Reciever:
Micro Invent Minor or Microbatics DSP-ACT reciever. The Microbatics rx weighs more and has less features (no servo support), but I'm leaning twoards it due to the convenience and more powerful ESC. (2A vs. 1A, if I recall.) Nick Leichty's awsome-looking 3ch amplifier starts at 75$ without "amplifier", but it requires soldered connections and likely a very small motor. (I'm not shy of soldering, but I'd like to be able to use this receiver in multiple planes with different sets of actuators.). All three are about 75$, and I've got a decent computer radio. (The ancient Futaba 7UAF).

Actuators:
2x Plantraco "mini-acts"
These should work nicely in place of Bob Selman's actuators, and they cost a fair bit less. (16$ each.)

Airframe:
Ralph Bradley's Homeboy kit, made by Bob Selman. 35$, or about 40$ with motor and prop. It's supposed to work nicely with exactly with the actuators above and a very inexpensive motor/prop combo, and I'd imagine that the 1.3 grams difference between the Plantraco RX and the Microbatics rx should make a large difference. The pusher-prop design should make it more crash-resilient than a lot of others, and it's supposed to fly nicely indoors.

Questions:
1. What battery should I use? I already have a charger that can charge 1 or 2 cells at 50ma, so I should be okay unless I need to use a 30ma cell.

2. Is this a bad "trainer"? I have plenty of FMS experience (for what it's worth), and have flown a good bit of F/F in addition to the X-twin.

3. How hard would it be to go for an even smaller combo, using Nick's radio gear? I'd imagine that this would be a lousy place to start, but I could very easily be wrong.

4. How "crunchy" is the homeboy? Will it withstand a crash or two?

Thanks,
Joe.
Cheesehead is offline Find More Posts by Cheesehead
to remove ads between posts