Mie oo Karjala poikii
Ruokolahti, Finland
Joined Apr 2001
704 Posts
Garden Cub

My depron fleet has now got a new member:

-=Mike=-
Tyson is offline Find More Posts by Tyson
Last edited by Tyson; Sep 11, 2001 at 03:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2001, 03:50 AM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,905 Posts
How do you like your Garden Cub? I have built 7 GCs in different sizes myself and they have all been great flyers. My parfklyer version regularly flies over 20 minutes on 6x1600mah NiMH cells and a geared 280BB motor. It will handle a bit of wind as well. Although intended for outdoors I can comfortably fly it in a regular sized gym. This is probably due to the large power to weight ratio it has. I apply throttle for some really tight turns that would otherwise stall a model.

My smaller indoor version is built very light and flies for app. 40 minutes on 2X900mah Li-poly cells and a geared 050 motor.

I have made a few changes to the way the wing and struts are mounted but otherwise the Cub is a Neil Gillies designed it. I have more hours on Garden Cubs than any other plane.

Pics are here: http://fly.to/epilot

Michael
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old Sep 11, 2001, 04:19 AM
Mie oo Karjala poikii
Ruokolahti, Finland
Joined Apr 2001
704 Posts
Hi Michael!

I found your website long ago - and in fact - your Garden Cubs inspired me to build one for myself - Great Job, Michael...

It has been windy here for a while now and I've not been able to fly my GC yet. I'm expecting to get 10 minutes flight times with 7 cell 270mAh packs and about 20 minutes with 800mAh NiMH packs.

Waiting for a calm day to give my GC a chance!

-=Mike=-
Old Sep 11, 2001, 06:06 AM
Steinkjer, N-T, Norway
Joined Mar 2001
66 Posts
I'd really like to make a speed 400 version of the Garden Cub. It seems as Multiplex Pico Cub is a really good trainer, and the wingspan is about the same. So I guess it would make a trainer with a 400 in the nose, and a slow flyer with a 280. But how do I print out the plan? I tried from acrobat and deltacad, but it seems like the drawings are just too big. How wide is it supposed to be? Someone have tips?
Bajazz is offline Find More Posts by Bajazz
Old Sep 11, 2001, 07:07 AM
Stuck on a rock
Joined Nov 2000
5,905 Posts
I used a program called Drawingboard LT to print the plans on A4 paper and then glue them together. The program used to be available for free, but now it is time limited.

I have never build a GC to original size. Mine are mostly 100cm and 80cm versions. That is the neat thing about CAD drawings - you just scale them to suit your requirements.

A speed 400 version should work OK, but I recommend using a geared 400. This would match the slow airspeed of the Cub better. More power doesn't seem to make it go much faster, but it climbs like a rocket. Weight and performance wise I still feel a geared 280BB on 6 cells is a good match for a 100cm GC. Even with the heavy AA cells mine will take of from short cut grass in 2 meters.

I once started on a 150cm styropor version for a speed 400 with 4:1 gear but abandoned the project. I am thinking of starting again this time using Depron. The 6mm stuff is good for wings.

Michael
Old Sep 11, 2001, 07:17 AM
Bayville, New York
Joined Jun 2001
126 Posts
Where is a good place to get plans for the GC? They are just too cute to resist.
Cheers,
Brandon
Taniwha314 is offline Find More Posts by Taniwha314
Old Sep 11, 2001, 07:45 AM
Mie oo Karjala poikii
Ruokolahti, Finland
Joined Apr 2001
704 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Taniwha314
Where is a good place to get plans for the GC? They are just too cute to resist.
Cheers,
Brandon
Here is one link:
http://aeromaniacs.free.fr/telechar/tele1.htm

-=Mike=-
Old Sep 11, 2001, 08:29 AM
Stuck on a rock
Joined Nov 2000
5,905 Posts
http://www.sea-gull.demon.co.uk/

This is Neil Gillies homepage - he designed the Garden Cub.

Michael
Old Sep 21, 2001, 05:24 AM
Mie oo Karjala poikii
Ruokolahti, Finland
Joined Apr 2001
704 Posts
I replaced GWS DX-A with 4:1 geared Speed 280. Now it's even more fun. Flight times are 10 to 15 minutes using 8-cell 800mAh NiMH packs. Looks great airborne.

-=Mike=-
Old Sep 24, 2001, 07:30 AM
Repton, Derbyshire, UK
Joined Oct 2000
43 Posts
I've downloaded the drawings but would like to know what materials people are using. I've never build anything with foam before and could do with a few guidlines - is it made from depron or what?. Advice would be welcome.
colinc is offline Find More Posts by colinc
Old Sep 24, 2001, 04:07 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,974 Posts
Forming Depron Wings

Just getting familiar with Depron, need to find a source here in So CA. How do form smoothly curved concostent airfoils in Depron wings?
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Sep 25, 2001, 02:46 PM
Mie oo Karjala poikii
Ruokolahti, Finland
Joined Apr 2001
704 Posts
When building my latest depron bird "The Rook", I found out that you don't even neet ribs to build an undercambered slowflyer airfoil (3mm (1/8in) black depron). Just pressing using fingertips and bending between fingers and then forcing the airfoil to keep the shape by using clear packaging tape on bottom will do the trick. Covering then the whole wing with claer packaging tape will give the wing more strength and durability with almost no weight increase. This method works very well with wings up to 1 meter (40 in) wingspan and models up to 300 grams (10 oz).

I'll post two pictures, so you can see what I mean.
Old Sep 25, 2001, 02:48 PM
Mie oo Karjala poikii
Ruokolahti, Finland
Joined Apr 2001
704 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tyson
I'll post two pictures, so you can see what I mean.
Btw, wingspan of "The Rook" is 80 cm (32 inches)
Old Sep 25, 2001, 03:06 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,974 Posts
Depron + Tape Wings

Looks like you could add more tape to make a flat bottom wing too. Thanks!
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged