SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 21, 2004, 09:09 AM
Syracuse Hancock, New York, United States
Joined Mar 2004
639 Posts
Question
fms controller?

New to rc flight starting with tiger moth and fms to learn. I've heard of people using an analog controller from wal mart for the FMS. Does anyone have any tips on that set up.

thanks,
Bill Adams
furnaceman is offline Find More Posts by furnaceman
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2004, 09:52 AM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Here's what I discovered. You might be able to find something like a Logitech Rumble Pad, mod it to have pseudo-sticks so that it is ALMOST like a real tx and then get the driver software installed and working with your OS and then load the FMS software. Or you can buy (or build) an interface for over $100 CAD and use a buddy box (which I'd have to buy for about $40 CAD) and use FMS.

Frankly, for the hassle, I'm just going to buy RealFlight G2 for about $175 US and get full warranty, a proven system that works and a controller that is exactly like an RC tx. YMMV
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Old Mar 22, 2004, 09:32 AM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
State of Confusion
Joined Jan 2004
1,616 Posts
Get a two-stick Rumblepad or knockoff:

http://www.overstock.com/se/Logitech...lePad_USB.html

It doesn't feel like your Tx, but the idea is to get your brain around left/right as the plane's coming towards you, and gentle control inputs.

So for an all-up cost of the pad (~$20 USD), and the sim (free!) you'll get a feel for left/right and what overcontrolling will do. The big thing here is that you get 2 proportional sticks. Personally I don't think at this stage, and for a TM, an accurate model of your Tx is that important. If you had a .40 trainer, I'd probably say go for RealFlight, but the TM seems to be fairly robust (or at least fairly fixable ), if you treat it with a little respect.

I don't know if anyone's made a TM model for the new (alpha 8.1) version yet, but I'm pretty sure there's one for 7. 8.1 is better, in that it has adjustable winds and more realistic model behaviour, but for a starter, 7 should be fine.
squidbait is offline Find More Posts by squidbait
Old Mar 22, 2004, 07:47 PM
Syracuse Hancock, New York, United States
Joined Mar 2004
639 Posts
Thanks to all the replys I went to walmart bought the controller and am flying FMS, or as my wife says that game for the computer!"Honey this is not a game, it's a flight simulator" she laughs too hard!

Bill Adams
furnaceman is offline Find More Posts by furnaceman