HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:54 AM
North Lake Tahoe
Joined Nov 2009
598 Posts
Discussion
Firmware v4.6 - Upgrading to External Compass / Magnetometer

I thought I would open discussion about the new firmware 4.6 and in particular to discuss installing the external compass / magnetometer. I actually have the magnetometer ready to go but need to get the Resistors. Can someone post a photo of the actual wiring harness all built with resistors and a close up photo of the soldering done on the Compass? .That will help make sure we put it all together properly. I saw the drawing you added to the knowledge base on Hoverflytech website, but it is till not 100% clear.

Showing a soldered board and where and how the resistors are added will help a ton. can the external compass be mounted to the same post as the GPS? How far apart do they need to be?
tahoelight is offline Find More Posts by tahoelight
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:53 AM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
The resistors can be had at radio shack for a couple $. I don't have another picture at the moment, but I'll try to describe it so you can get going.

Hook up the wires just as in the diagram / picture in the guide. The resistors can be soldered basically anywhere on the wires. One needs to go between the VCC wire and SDA. The other needs to go between the VCC wire and SCL. Normally, I either solder the resistors into the wires or put them on the compass where the wires connect. It isn't a very sensitive circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoelight View Post
I thought I would open discussion about the new firmware 4.6 and in particular to discuss installing the external compass / magnetometer. I actually have the magnetometer ready to go but need to get the Resistors. Can someone post a photo of the actual wiring harness all built with resistors and a close up photo of the soldering done on the Compass? .That will help make sure we put it all together properly. I saw the drawing you added to the knowledge base on Hoverflytech website, but it is till not 100% clear.

Showing a soldered board and where and how the resistors are added will help a ton. can the external compass be mounted to the same post as the GPS? How far apart do they need to be?
S11D336B is offline Find More Posts by S11D336B
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:26 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2012
67 Posts
Good question about if the GPS and compass can be near each other on top the same post. I'm planning this upgrade and wondering if I need to separate the components.

Also if the compass is susceptible to vibrations. The longer posts i make to move the GPS and compass from all the other electronics, the more any vibrations would be amplified I suppose.
defxxx is offline Find More Posts by defxxx
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:47 AM
France
Joined Dec 2006
129 Posts
Hello,
Where could we get the external magnetometer? Could we use ref "HMC5883L"
to source it anywhere (for those outside US) ?
Alain
gweleps is offline Find More Posts by gweleps
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:48 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
Basically any HMC5883L breakout board should work. I don't have a European source for it yet, but I am looking. Let us know if you find one. Sparkfun I believe does have European distributors. It's probably a good place to start.

Keep in mind that you shouldn't need this for every multi-rotor you build, just ones that have compass issues. We don't typically use these for our in-house builds (because it's not required) and with the right design you shouldn't have to either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweleps View Post
Hello,
Where could we get the external magnetometer? Could we use ref "HMC5883L"
to source it anywhere (for those outside US) ?
Alain
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:28 AM
North Lake Tahoe
Joined Nov 2009
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S11D336B View Post
Keep in mind that you shouldn't need this for every multi-rotor you build, just ones that have compass issues. We don't typically use these for our in-house builds (because it's not required) and with the right design you shouldn't have to either.
Can you share with us how you have your large multirotors wired so they don't need the external mag? How do you have 8 ESCs wired and 8 motors wired with low enough magnetic interference to have it perform as expected. Can you post a photo? I sill hope to figure this out although I am installing an external mag to try out.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:22 AM
Who's got the Tx ?
United Kingdom, Whitchurch
Joined Jul 2010
26 Posts
HMC5883L Breakout board

Hi Try http://www.loveelectronics.co.uk/pro...akout-board-r2 or . http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/cata...83l-p-765.html both in the UK
Boeing744 is offline Find More Posts by Boeing744
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:14 PM
North Lake Tahoe
Joined Nov 2009
598 Posts
Can you give some wider parameters for the resistor. I can't seem to find 1/6th watt locally.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:16 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
1/16th watt and up should not present a problem. I typically see 1/8 watt resistors available at local electronics stores. 5k - 10k ohm are also acceptable values though I would stick with the 10k ohm as this is what we did our tests with. The power handling of the resistor is generally a non-issue when talking about pull-up resistors.

Quote:
Can you give some wider parameters for the resistor. I can't seem to find 1/6th watt locally.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:32 AM
France
Joined Dec 2006
129 Posts
Thanks!
Alain
gweleps is offline Find More Posts by gweleps
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:51 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
Here's the deal. Our smaller octos do not exhibit this problem at all. It's only the larger ones where the external magnetometer is sometimes used.

If you have a large octo (with high current draw), you may not be able to move the ESCs, batteries, wires far enough away. Which is why we started to support the external magnetometer.

Typically we put the HoverflyGPS on the top of the center plate and the ESCs on the bottom of the center place. The batteries go even lower. So we have a good amount of space between the ESCs and the HoverflyGPS.

For you, I think it'd be much simpler to just use the external mag rather than trying to move your wires all around.

Quote:
Can you share with us how you have your large multirotors wired so they don't need the external mag? How do you have 8 ESCs wired and 8 motors wired with low enough magnetic interference to have it perform as expected. Can you post a photo? I sill hope to figure this out although I am installing an external mag to try out.
Site Sponsor