HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:46 AM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
Discussion
RC Hook and Bait-Dropper ROV/Boat

Hi, I’m new to the forum and RC. I started at a campground near the ocean in the RI area with a couple of RC trucks to play with at the end of the day.

I saw a few guys at the beach wading out up to their shoulders to cast bait. The fishing isn’t too bad, quite a few stripped sea bass. I got to thinking about an RC bait boat. The problem is getting out past the breaking surf. The only serious boat I found is the Aqua Cat Dinglehopper. The pictures and video on the website are very good.

http://www.aquacat.co.za/products

I asked for a quote ; Boat: $1850, Shipping: $950, Accessories: $500

These prices gave me the inspiration to think about two 3’ lengths of PVC drainage pipes in a catamaran configuration with a Trolling or ROV type Motor in the middle. The motor could swing up for storage and swing down for use. The weight of the motor would act as the counterweight to keep it from rolling, together with the navigation ball. A servo on the speed dial, another for steering on the swing up shaft, and one for the bait compartment.

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/produc.../enduraC2.aspx
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Minn-Kota-...Shaft/15686718
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minn-Kota-Ri...item3a7995c928

What do you think? Any recommendations for a motor? Alternative design ideas?

Thanks for looking
Massastan is offline Find More Posts by Massastan
Last edited by Massastan; Oct 14, 2012 at 07:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:36 AM
Joined Mar 2011
16 Posts
Balance is going to be your issue - you need to make sure that your dual hulls are well separated, and probably want the boat to be pretty lengthy too. Make sure you've got enough power to make headway against the tide, too. Other than that, I'd just make it bouyant and tough - pack the pipe with foam, for example, because a single leak in one pipe could be disastrous.
audigex is offline Find More Posts by audigex
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:11 PM
Picture a worm wearing goggles
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2012
1,900 Posts
I say build it and post the qwesome videos! If you are real daring build a rig to troll for the strippers! I promise you that you can be successfull for less than the prices you were quoted.... much less.
snipeworm is online now Find More Posts by snipeworm
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:48 PM
TRB
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2005
91 Posts
I thought about this, but never executed, years ago when I was fishing for catfish in dam tailwaters. Most of the best baits are too fragile to power-cast.

I was going to use a cheap trolling motor in the center of a foam dock float (which I had for free) and a car battery 'melted' into the float to reduce CG. However, it might make more sense to scale the whole thing down more to RC size. Lead-acid batteries are heavy.
Daravon is offline Find More Posts by Daravon
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:57 AM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
I was thinking Gel-Cells from West Marine for batteries. Any ideas on a smaller version of a trolling motor? The smallest is an 18lb thrust which is still "Big".

I see the legality of assisted fished being raised. This is to pull the line & bait out and drop it for salt water use. Not for active trolling or fishing.
Massastan is offline Find More Posts by Massastan
Last edited by Massastan; Oct 31, 2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:10 PM
TRB
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2005
91 Posts
This is not advice, but I wouldn't worry about legality.

You could just use an RC boat with a clothespin to hold the line. When you are satisfied with the distance, stop letting out line and the line will pull out of the clothespin and the bait will fall. You could use any RC boat you want, with RC boat gear--I'm not a boat guy but I assume they have electric motors, lipos and props available.

Years ago I made an RC pontoon boat out of two 4" thin-walled PVC pipes about 2 feet long and a deck made of luan plywood sprayed with shellac. It was an air-boat with a Magnum 46 glow engine for power.
Daravon is offline Find More Posts by Daravon