HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:45 AM
Photographer in Stockholm
Joined Sep 2012
23 Posts
Keep it up mate!
Looking forward to hear about the XOAR props on the s800.
Raggarn is offline Find More Posts by Raggarn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:11 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggarn View Post
@UAVProducts,
What about Dennys adapters for the graupner 14x4.7props. Does XOAR 15x5 props fit? Or do you prefer xoar with two extra drilled holes?
The Xoars can be purchased standard with either a 6 mm hole or an 8 mm hole, in which case it will certainly fit Denny's adaptors. The first batch of the modded Xoar 15x6 props with the s800 prop hole pattern will not fit the adaptors that Denny currently has, since the hole in the center will be too small. However, if the Xoar props prove successful, it is likely that Xoar can provide the option of the 6 mm hole version of their prop with the two additional holes on the side, in which case the prop will fit using the stock s800 adaptor or Denny's adaptors.
AEMontoya is offline Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined May 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVProducts View Post
Beginning next week (after Chinese Holiday) I will do my best to get answers etc.
I have Denny's adapters coming next week and a ton of the 14 Graupners.
I have 15" Xoar" being custom drilled to fit stock motors.
I'm going to do everything I can to find the best prop solution for the S800 or at the very least provide the tools for others.

IMU Mounting:

The Imu's have internal dampening. They like to be hard mounted. They have all been like this and recommended to do so.

As crazy and simple as it might sound, I still want to stuff memory foam in between the frames and/or around the IMU and see if that makes a difference for soaking up these high freq vibes.

FOD: I have no idea on the cause. The majority don't have this issue but yet some do.

As soon as I hear something I will post it for sure.
THANK YOU for this post. Honestly, I know it is just as important to you as it is for us to figure this out. I am excited to hear something official!

I ordered Denny's adaptors last week as well and really hope they get here soon. I'm very excited to ditch these horrible CF blades and rock some APC's. I've also stabilized my arms with aluminum rods like the examples shown here a few days ago and it seems to work pretty well. With them, the footage from the Zenmuse is unbelievable. Without them, we get some micro vibs. From a flight control standpoint, the Wookong makes the S800 a dream machine. It is SO smooth.

Anyway, thanks again Robert for the response!
Capo Creative is online now Find More Posts by Capo Creative
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:46 PM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
531 Posts
Vibes are gone. Immensely stiff and strong:
carbon reinforced arm S800 (3 min 41 sec)
Aaalie is offline Find More Posts by Aaalie
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:10 PM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,060 Posts
Wow Aaalie, those arms look great and I'm surprised how little weight it has added.
Dolby is offline Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:12 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
988 Posts
Wow, really nice work. Such little weight added, too. Could you provide a few more details about how exactly you did the reinforcement (e.g., CF cloth/sock used, epoxy used, wrapping method, epoxy application, total cost per 6 arms, ...). Looking forward to hearing some flight reports.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Oct 2012
102 Posts
And those props ?
toberal is offline Find More Posts by toberal
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:43 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toberal View Post
And those props ?
Those are the original stock DJI s800 props.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15X5-5-Real-...80883944643%26

Probablemente ellos son peores, puesto que DJI los reemplazaron con la versión actual.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AEMontoya; Oct 06, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:04 PM
Joined Oct 2012
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicoblast View Post
You should not go under 20% or your lipo will not charge anymore...
Voltage is important, but Amps too.
With a 5500, you should a max discharge of 4400.

Check Jesolins' mega index:
So now, with ALL the experience of ALL of you flying, what are the suggestions using 5000mha 6s batteries for first and second level of protection, for people like me that would have our first fly ??

Regards
rruiz is offline Find More Posts by rruiz
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Oct 2012
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaalie View Post
Vibes are gone. Immensely stiff and strong:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWjRGc7URsM
Aaalie were you bought new arms ? I want new ones to do your reinfocement...
rruiz is offline Find More Posts by rruiz
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:40 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruiz View Post
Aaalie were you bought new arms ? I want new ones to do your reinfocement...
You can get replacement arms from a variety of different sources. But, for quick shipping, good prices, and good customer service, I recommend UAVProducts. You can also purchase generic s800 arms from RCTimer, but I am not sure how the quality of these arms is compared with the original s800 arms (they are much cheaper, though). I am waiting for an answer to this from Miza, who has bought these arms.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:24 PM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEMontoya View Post
You can also purchase generic s800 arms from RCTimer, but I am not sure how the quality of these arms is compared with the original s800 arms (they are much cheaper, though). I am waiting for an answer to this from Miza, who has bought these arms.
They are a fraction lighter. The connectors and the PCB look the same, the plastic has a slightly different surface structure, but the stiffness/flexibility seems exactly the same.
Great difference is the wiring, which is far less thick. My opinion, the original DJI wiring is a little under dimensioned. The rc-timers absolutely are.
I've used original and clone arms for modifying, the original became one extra flexible wire for the signal, and the free extra thin wire is paralleled with one thick wire.
The rc-timers became completely new wiring, the standard rc-timer wiring is too thin/unusable.
Aaalie is offline Find More Posts by Aaalie
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:45 PM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,060 Posts
So when are you going into production and opening your web shop?
Dolby is offline Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:32 AM
Joined May 2011
36 Posts
My 5 cents

Hi all,

I am regularly reading this thread. After I experienced FOD last week, I pay all my attention to what people think and do about this problem. So far there are only three most commonly supported theories: not perfect props and too flexible arms cause vibration which : confuses IMU, or overloads CPU, or damages insulation in the wires inside the arms.

In my opinion, we should think about what makes s800 so different from the other platforms that don't suffer FOD. The first thing that comes to my mind is the design that supports detachable arms. And since we haven't seen any mechanical problems with the locks, I think that we should blame the electrical connectors in the arms. If one of the connector fails during a flight even for a short time, it may cause disastrous consequences.

The challenge is how to prove this theory right or wrong. It is not an easy task.nobody knows how to reliably recreate the problem.

Is this something new, or the blade connectors theory has already been discussed?

--Alik
a1ik is offline Find More Posts by a1ik
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:56 AM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1ik View Post
Hi all,

I am regularly reading this thread. After I experienced FOD last week, I pay all my attention to what people think and do about this problem. So far there are only three most commonly supported theories: not perfect props and too flexible arms cause vibration which : confuses IMU, or overloads CPU, or damages insulation in the wires inside the arms.

In my opinion, we should think about what makes s800 so different from the other platforms that don't suffer FOD. The first thing that comes to my mind is the design that supports detachable arms. And since we haven't seen any mechanical problems with the locks, I think that we should blame the electrical connectors in the arms. If one of the connector fails during a flight even for a short time, it may cause disastrous consequences.

The challenge is how to prove this theory right or wrong. It is not an easy task.nobody knows how to reliably recreate the problem.

Is this something new, or the blade connectors theory has already been discussed?

--Alik
I know that one or two individuals on this thread have unsuccessfully tried to recreate the FOD by twisting, turning, and otherwise stressing the s800 arms during bench testing.
RCG Plus Member