HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:51 PM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn View Post
Well, I think I am over this heli for good now. Its great when it works but a money pit when it doesnt. I dont even want to think about how much money I have sank into this thing.

I went to the LHS and got another tail shaft. then it through a blade grip.. anyway finally I got it to not vibrate but now the tail kicks out like CRAZY like almost a ful 360 on a pitch pump..

I think I'm going to sell it. I just put another brand new servo on it. its got all metal gears. RKH parts and a bunch of spares and 2 batteries. not sure what its all worth since it needs work but its good for parts at least.
That really sucks. I have been reading a lot of similar stories lately. Mine just arrived yesterday, I haven't even flown it yet.
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:13 PM
Registered User
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn View Post
Well, I think I am over this heli for good now. Its great when it works but a money pit when it doesnt. I dont even want to think about how much money I have sank into this thing.

I went to the LHS and got another tail shaft. then it through a blade grip.. anyway finally I got it to not vibrate but now the tail kicks out like CRAZY like almost a ful 360 on a pitch pump..

I think I'm going to sell it. I just put another brand new servo on it. its got all metal gears. RKH parts and a bunch of spares and 2 batteries. not sure what its all worth since it needs work but its good for parts at least.
I can understand how you feel but, don't give up. I would recommend you keep the MH pitch slider and aluminum swashplate if you have one installed and otherwise return it to stock. If you have a little vibration at spool up just live with it. There is no need to throw tons of $$$ at a 130X. My 130X is the first one my LHS sold when they came out last June. It is completely stock (even has original flange bearings in tail) with hundreds of flights on it. It has some vibration on spool up but, doesn't vibrate in the air. It flies great. The only parts I have replaced are due to crashes. I just bought a second 130X. I do realize your requirements may be different than mine so take this as my .02 cents.

Jim
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:34 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
I can understand how you feel but, don't give up. I would recommend you keep the MH pitch slider and aluminum swashplate if you have one installed and otherwise return it to stock. If you have a little vibration at spool up just live with it. There is no need to throw tons of $$$ at a 130X. My 130X is the first one my LHS sold when they came out last June. It is completely stock (even has original flange bearings in tail) with hundreds of flights on it. It has some vibration on spool up but, doesn't vibrate in the air. It flies great. The only parts I have replaced are due to crashes. I just bought a second 130X. I do realize your requirements may be different than mine so take this as my .02 cents.

Jim
+1! You (sideburn) may well be a more advanced flier than I am, but... this is the first heli that flies well enough that I have the confidence to just throw it around. My flying improved more with this heli than with any other. It does what you ask it and mistakes have hardly any consequence.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:36 PM
Registered User
sideburn's Avatar
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
I can understand how you feel but, don't give up. I would recommend you keep the MH pitch slider and aluminum swashplate if you have one installed and otherwise return it to stock. If you have a little vibration at spool up just live with it. There is no need to throw tons of $$$ at a 130X. My 130X is the first one my LHS sold when they came out last June. It is completely stock (even has original flange bearings in tail) with hundreds of flights on it. It has some vibration on spool up but, doesn't vibrate in the air. It flies great. The only parts I have replaced are due to crashes. I just bought a second 130X. I do realize your requirements may be different than mine so take this as my .02 cents.

Jim
Yeah, I'm just afraid its another servo.. Ive been through about 4 servos. Its always something. And now I have a mcpx BL that kindof fills the gap instead of the 130 x..
And way lower maintenance.
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:47 PM
Registered User
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn View Post
Yeah, I'm just afraid its another servo.. Ive been through about 4 servos. Its always something. And now I have a mcpx BL that kindof fills the gap instead of the 130 x..
And way lower maintenance.
In that case it makes a lot of sense to get rid of the 130X and go with the brushless if it meets you needs. I have the mCPX BL as well but, really like the size of the 130X so it's a keeper for me. I have replaced two servos on my 130X but, due to hard crashes. I really haven't spent too much money on my 130X's but, boy I could have bought three mCPX V2's for what I spent on replacement parts while learning cp flying on it.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:57 PM
Registered User
sideburn's Avatar
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,834 Posts
ive spent a ton on it.. ive probably replaced every part on it including 2 frames.. one frame was my fault because i used loctite on the screws and it ate the frame up til it fell to pieces. then I had screw heads strip out on me and had to dril them out wich destroyed another frame.

When I first got it, the tail servo immidieately overheated and blew apart in mid air, which ended up resulting in more busted parts. I replaced that servo. then I was blowing through tail pitch sliders on a per flight basis until rakon and microheli came out with metal ones. that solved that problem. then I was all good for a while but EVERY time i had any sort of crash one of the tail gears would strip. Then I had tail blade grips fling off.. then tail blades would fling off. replaced blade grips with metal ones. tail vibrations got horrible so i got the rakon tail case.. Then recently the front elevator servo went out on me so I just replaced that. Now my tails not holding and like i mentioned I have now replaced all ofthe bearings in the tail section, put all metal gears on it, replacedthe blades, balanced the blades, took the metal grips off and put stock ones on.. recentered the servo / push rod / blades, replaced the tail shaft, theres nothing left except the servo. I even had the servo FET on the main board go out on me.

I would say 75-80% of the parts I have needed to replace were from the heli malfunctioning the rest were my fault from crashes etc.. I have probably spent about 3 130 x's worth of money trying to keep it flyable.
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:13 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2010
321 Posts
I've been pretty lucky so far. Had one servo just go bad but every thing else has been from me crashing.
iTz Nicholas72 is offline Find More Posts by iTz Nicholas72
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:48 PM
Registered User
sideburn's Avatar
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,834 Posts
I did some more tests and I think it's my 3 n 1. I connected the tail servo to the cyclic channel to check and it seems to be working fine. but When I hook everything up as normal and spool up its like the higher RPM I get the the tail servo starts cutting off completely. then i spool down and it kicks back in and lets me control it. $85.00 bucks to find out for sure...
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:00 AM
Registered User
sideburn's Avatar
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,834 Posts
I did find out something useful though. After switching to all 4 metal tail gears, now if you hit the ground, what happens is it pops the main gear down and the shaft moves up and the rotor spin but the tail doesn't. It makes a nasty ginding sound but no gears seem to be stripping so thats kindof cool.
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:52 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,260 Posts
Sounds like somethings binding in the tail pitch slider??? something along those lines. My tail servo is original with MH tail parts and plastic gears. ( I just received the metal ones, but will wait till I need them.) I have over 100 flights and all is good. Other than crashes anyways which has only been a few, maybe 5 at most. I also upgraded the motor to a Spin 8800KV and love the tick tocks now.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:23 AM
Registered User
sideburn's Avatar
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
Sounds like somethings binding in the tail pitch slider??? something along those lines. My tail servo is original with MH tail parts and plastic gears. ( I just received the metal ones, but will wait till I need them.) I have over 100 flights and all is good. Other than crashes anyways which has only been a few, maybe 5 at most. I also upgraded the motor to a Spin 8800KV and love the tick tocks now.
Garry K.
Well I spool down and still have no tail control. Then all the sudden it kicks back in. It's like the firmware is shutting it off
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:08 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,260 Posts
Take off the tail blades and see if you can move it while spooled up. Could be blade grip bearings.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:36 AM
Registered User
sideburn's Avatar
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
Take off the tail blades and see if you can move it while spooled up. Could be blade grip bearings.
Garry K.
Yeah I will try that. But I have been though 2 sets if blade grips. The servo is completely shutting off. It's no straining or bending the pushrod. It motor is shutting down. No power going to the servo at all.

I'm going to take the main and tail blades off and see what's going on. Then ill disconnect the main motor.
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:55 AM
Registered User
sideburn's Avatar
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryk View Post
Take off the tail blades and see if you can move it while spooled up. Could be blade grip bearings.
Garry K.
Ok that was a good idea. I removed the main and tail blades and spooled it up in idle up 100% throttle. all servos were working at first. Then i twisted the heli back and forth in my hand to excersise the 3 axis gyro a bit and bam, no more rudder servo control. I did some more flipping the heli around in my hand and i lost the elevator servo control as well.. various cyclic servos were drifting in and out of letting me control them or not. The tail servo was dead the entire time.

Next I spun the tail servo gears by hand to see if they would kick in like the servo was stuck or something but nothing. I spooled all the way down and still no rudder servo control, then all the sudden the servo motor kicked back in and I could control it.

It must be the 3 in 1....?
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:25 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jun 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn View Post
It must be the 3 in 1....?
Shouldn't you be able to get a replacement from HH? You mentioned that it would cost you $80 to determine if that was the problem.
MarkEHansen is offline Find More Posts by MarkEHansen
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale New in the box E-Flite Taylorcraft ARF Kit plus High Performance E-Flite components Philscho Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Aug 19, 2012 12:25 AM
For Sale E-Flite 300 32e SHP ****SOLD*** E-Flite still aviable tomtheman Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Mar 28, 2012 08:01 PM
Sold E-flite 60A ESC w/ E-flite Brushless 1010kV Motor joshfneptune Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 3 Mar 05, 2012 08:18 PM
Discussion E-Flite Taylorcraft 450 ARF Kit and High Power E-Flite electrical components $300 Philscho Hot Online Deals 1 Mar 02, 2012 08:11 PM
Discussion E-Flite Su-26 and E-flite Extra 260 repair Joe Slow Crash Discussion 1 Sep 27, 2011 11:50 AM