HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:57 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,548 Posts
Do ground tests to find out if it effects range

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_Habu_Flyer View Post
Hi guys,

I had to balance out my plane by putting some weight in one wing. It is a very small metal nut, but I am concerned that it is only about a centimeter away from the end of my Dragonlink antenna. Is that going to be a problem or does metal not have any effect on antennas?

Thanks,
Jim
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:56 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wettfeat View Post
Lol you guys discriminate the 1.5W transmitter but I've had a lot of success with it!
I'm going to push it to the limits this weekend out in the country.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought in the US we are limited to 1w of power?
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:04 AM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,548 Posts
[you are wrong

QUOTE=geminiryan;22959915]Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought in the US we are limited to 1w of power?[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:10 AM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Aug 2011
768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiryan View Post
That is for control of the model, not the video.
MASHTON is online now Find More Posts by MASHTON
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:13 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Feb 2012
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
This is because they do not know how to set up a plane properly.

A well set up plane can use 1.5 watt video tx no problem and do things lower watt video tx cannot.

Lower video tx like 200 mw works no problem but higher ones work better

If you fly small planes then smaller video tx is way to go to save weight as well as other factors
I have a SkySurfer and I'm only 16. I hardly know what I'm doing either!
Wettfeat is offline Find More Posts by Wettfeat
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:16 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,428 Posts
^That's why you're here to learn. Read the document, watch some videos, and take advice from one source... so long as the source doesn't have the handle David22. The reason to take advice from one source: "He who builds to every man's advice shall have a crooked house" - Chinese Proverb

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:31 PM
UAS Engineer
United States, WA, Battle Ground
Joined May 2012
223 Posts
Do what I did and talk to Alex for 3 hours lol. I'm also 16(15 at the time) and he taught me everything I needed to know. Watch the videos, they really help.
CarbonFlite is offline Find More Posts by CarbonFlite
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:33 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASHTON View Post
That is for control of the model, not the video.
Thanks for clarifying that....I combed over the FCC documents and couldn't find anything that clearly defined that. Thanks!
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:08 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonFlite View Post
Do what I did and talk to Alex for 3 hours lol. I'm also 16(15 at the time) and he taught me everything I needed to know. Watch the videos, they really help.
I watched the videos, tried to understand the concepts, bought some hogepodge gear, crashed in a lake, went for a swim, and now starting over.
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:05 PM
UAS Engineer
United States, WA, Battle Ground
Joined May 2012
223 Posts
flying over a lake your first shot was your first mistake!
CarbonFlite is offline Find More Posts by CarbonFlite
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:14 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
Joined Feb 2012
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiryan View Post
You have to have a HAM license. But it's not like the cops are going to track you down for using a 1.5W transmitter and ask for your HAM license. Most cops are probably oblivious to the regulations of video transmitting equipment anyways.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:15 PM
"FPV"er not a "LOS"er
Joined Feb 2012
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonFlite View Post
I'm pretty experienced at this already. I've made my own antennas, done 3 mile flights, etc... I've been doing this for about a year now. I was just saying that I never have problems with my 1.5W vTX and I don't really know about radiation patterns and all that fancy stuff. All I know is that you need to keep it away from stuff!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:34 PM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Aug 2011
768 Posts
Quote:
You have to have a HAM license. But it's not like the cops are going to track you down for using a 1.5W transmitter and ask for your HAM license. Most cops are probably oblivious to the regulations of video transmitting equipment anyways.
Yes you have to have a HAM license but that rule is only for "telecommand of the rc craft". In other words RC Control and does not apply to the video signal. You could use 20W if you were inclined to do so and had a plane that could carry the transmitter. But we all know you would swamp the rest of the gear.
MASHTON is online now Find More Posts by MASHTON
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:00 PM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,548 Posts
Alex I have been doing this for most likely lots longer than you

Have much more experience than you as well

It is wrong to just take advice from one person, especially a vendors advice as their best interest is to make money and sell their product

Be carefully of only taking advice from a vendor as they will not give best advice at all, but just sell their products.

It's best to read posts from non vendors who dont sell,fpv stuff and ask them questions as there is no bias at all.

You seem to forget history of fpv and my part in it

I will watch your posts and correct you if I read anything incorrect, as I advise you to read mine and correct me.

Does this help you or is there a chip on your shoulder that my post offends you

I remember many posts of yours that were incorrect but never said anything, but will learn from you and also correct you

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
^That's why you're here to learn. Read the document, watch some videos, and take advice from one source... so long as the source doesn't have the handle David22. The reason to take advice from one source: "He who builds to every man's advice shall have a crooked house" - Chinese Proverb

-Alex
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:04 PM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,548 Posts
What stuff do you need to keep the 1.5 watt video tx away from other than separate the GPS? Maybe I can learn from you

Quote:
I'm pretty experienced at this already. I've made my own antennas, done 3 mile flights, etc... I've been doing this for about a year now. I was just saying that I never have problems with my 1.5W vTX and I don't really know about radiation patterns and all that fancy stuff. All I know is that you need to keep it away from stuff!