HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2011, 06:36 PM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
ah... well it was worth a shot Too bad the whole entire SOUTH had to flood the first time and spoil it... How did that turn out for you anyway? I think I missed the final recap or something.
5' of water inside and still rising..
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2011, 06:43 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,020 Posts
man that is a real shame!
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old May 31, 2011, 07:18 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
OK, new video on the catpult launch. Easy Star, Twister, and Funjet Ultra.

That thing in the background is the Devon Gas Well.

RC Plane Catapult Launcher (2 min 5 sec)
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old May 31, 2011, 08:34 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I got 2 flights on my 3dhs edge on my way to work today... kinda snuck them in. That's the really nice thing about electric planes that are small enough to fit fully assembled into your car. It's also nice to not worry about glow exhaust getting on my slacks I love my glow planes but electric has some nice perks.
Nate, that is so true about electrics! There is a forest preserve with a flying field on my normal way to work; I can stop by there early in the morning on my way to work or late in the afternoon on my way home from work. I try to always have my Yak-54 from Airfoilz...there is a build thread (from someone else) here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846323. I like this plane because it is very sturdy and it does knife edge flight really well...hard to hover though because of alot of wing rock. (or bad piloting skills)

Hoping to maiden my Sukhoi Su-26/DLE-30 tomorrow since I have 1/2 day of work and the weather looks to be decent for a change!

-Mike
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old May 31, 2011, 08:38 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,516 Posts
[QUOTE=waynemia;18383285]OK, new video on the catpult launch. Easy Star, Twister, and Funjet Ultra.

So what happened with the Funjet Ultra...from the video it looked like it was flying up, up, and away....did it ever come back?
Site Sponsor
Old May 31, 2011, 09:02 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschulz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
OK, new video on the catpult launch. Easy Star, Twister, and Funjet Ultra.

So what happened with the Funjet Ultra...from the video it looked like it was flying up, up, and away....did it ever come back?
Sure, I was flying around and trimming it a bit. I think I need to change the engine incidence. I shoots up when you pour the power on. There is a strong left-hand yaw too. That thing flies around at sport speeds at less than 1/4 throttle. That was only the third flight on it also. I am still very cautious with it.
Old May 31, 2011, 09:29 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Made a slo-mo of the Funjet launch.

Funjet Ultra Slow Motion Catapult Launch (0 min 41 sec)
Old May 31, 2011, 09:37 PM
The New and Improved:
United States, MO, Cameron
Joined Jan 2011
864 Posts
Nice video Wayne, looks like it works perfectly.
Kerwin49 is offline Find More Posts by Kerwin49
Old May 31, 2011, 11:10 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,516 Posts
Well, keep your fingers crossed...if the weather cooperates, and the plane cooperates, I might maiden my Sukhoi Su-26m tomorrow.
I decided I would put everything together (cowl, spinner, etc.) for a few "dress up" pics.
-Mike
Site Sponsor
Old May 31, 2011, 11:43 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,020 Posts
Quote:
Well, keep your fingers crossed...if the weather cooperates, and the plane cooperates, I might maiden my Sukhoi Su-26m tomorrow.
I decided I would put everything together (cowl, spinner, etc.) for a few "dress up" pics.
-Mike
NICE! I want one of those so bad it hurts me right in the t___t
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jun 01, 2011, 06:57 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Another busy busy day.
I've managed to break a couple of stiches so I took those out. I've still got 5 running stiches which I know I'm going to hate having taken out. With this Gullian Barre it has done some strange stuff to my nerves. normaly I wouldn't winch twice at having a stiche removed.

It won't be long till I'm up an flying. This time I'll pay alittle more attention to the twist, I can't have her getting mad at me and biting me like she did last week.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jun 01, 2011, 07:25 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Kevin, Ouch on the stitches. Hopefully they will come out OK. The thought is usually worse than the actual proceedure. When I last had a bunch of stiches from dropping a body grinder with a fixed on switch onto my leg while lying on my back grinding a car (big ouch) I frequently applied 50-50 diluted hydrogen peroxide to the area to eat up any bad stuff. Word to the wise: never use a body grinder or other such rotary tool with a fixed on off switch; you need a trigger switch that releases if you drop the tool.

Hey Wayne, do you happen to have any sketches of that catapult. Or rough dimensions, like width, height at front, height at back, and length. Is it 1/2" or 3/4" PVC? Do you have a sketch of how the trip works or maybe an up close photo of the trip end. I see how it is hinged but am not sure how the bungee is held at the front. How long a bungee are you using? Would this launch a 4 lb Zeph flying wing do you think? I can get it off with a 25' bungee stretched out to about 75', but I need a person to release the plane. When I try to release it myself I just can't get on the sticks quick enough and the wing goes into the ground.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Jun 01, 2011, 07:29 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
got the Saito 150 to idle at 1800-1900 consistantly... turn off glow and it quits... now the u can do will land and not float forever... still nose heavy, gonna have to put in the rear hatch to get the battery to the rear...
Is this a Giant U Can Do or the "60" size? I have a Saito hunnert on my 60 size and it is adequate though certainly not overpowering. The trouble with bigger engines is getting them to run slow enough to land the plane!
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Jun 01, 2011, 07:37 AM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Is this a Giant U Can Do or the "60" size? I have a Saito hunnert on my 60 size and it is adequate though certainly not overpowering. The trouble with bigger engines is getting them to run slow enough to land the plane!
it's the 60 size... with flaperons and a light breeze it will land at a slow walk
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old Jun 01, 2011, 08:03 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
-Mike
Looks good Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Hey Wayne, do you happen to have any sketches of that catapult. Or rough dimensions, like width, height at front, height at back, and length. Is it 1/2" or 3/4" PVC? Do you have a sketch of how the trip works or maybe an up close photo of the trip end. I see how it is hinged but am not sure how the bungee is held at the front. How long a bungee are you using? Would this launch a 4 lb Zeph flying wing do you think? I can get it off with a 25' bungee stretched out to about 75', but I need a person to release the plane. When I try to release it myself I just can't get on the sticks quick enough and the wing goes into the ground.
I am thinking of doing a short video of how to build one. There are some sketches on the web but I did not find any complete stuff.

I think you could launch anything. The I have 30 feet of 1/4" silicon tubing and I doubled it. I only stretched it 2X and it is supposed to be able to go to 6X. I don't know what the Twister and Funjet weigh. I may try launching a Zagi with it.

I figured you could stretch the cord more or less depending on the weight of the plane.