max67 is offline Find More Posts by max67
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:29 AM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
571 Posts
edit=double post
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Last edited by TedFlack; Mar 05, 2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:22 AM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
988 Posts
Voltage regulators

Looking for clarification of IOM rules.

Is it legal to use a Lipo and a 'voltage regulator' as an Battery in an IOM yacht.

The use of a Lipo battery should be ok under rule 2.4.4
(4) Battery cells assembled in one or more packs.

But as there is no specific mention of a 'voltage regulator' in the 2012 IOM Rules I guess they are not allowed.

2012 rules to be found here:-
http://www.iomclass.org/doc-files/Te...012_250212.pdf

Brian
Brian Wa is offline Find More Posts by Brian Wa
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:44 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Brian

An interesting question that I haven't thought much about. I would tend to suggest that a stand alone regulator would NOT be permitted.

D.2.4 REMOTE CONTROL EQUIPMENT
(a) The following is permitted:
(1) One or more receivers.
(2) One rudder control unit.
(3) One sheet control unit.
(4) Battery cells assembled in one or more packs.
(5) Electric cables, connectors and switches.
(6) One device to indicate the battery voltage. In addition, items listed under (1) to (5) may have their own built-in battery voltage indication.

Most IOM's now use an RMG and the like & regulator is usually built into the winch operation .

Personally I would not use a LiPo in a boat.. Too costly if something goes wrong.

LiFe batteries are generally much safer & can plug straight into RX.
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:55 AM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waboats View Post
Brian

An interesting question that I haven't thought much about. I would tend to suggest that a stand alone regulator would NOT be permitted.
Most IOM's now use an RMG and the like & regulator is usually built into the winch operation .
Sorry if I didn't make it clear in my post, I was referring to the legality of stand alone voltage regulators.
I also us an RMG winch with a built in Regulator.

Brian
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:02 AM
USA, LA, Mandeville
Joined Feb 2005
886 Posts
So, if I were to zip tie a CCBEC voltage regulator to the side of my Hitech arm winch and dip it in plastic, it would become legal like the RMG?
hew565 is offline Find More Posts by hew565
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:53 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,267 Posts
Doesn't number 6 say a voltage regulator is allowed ?
I use a lipo in my IOM with no voltage regulator fully charged it puts out over 8 volts, after aout 4 hours of sailing it is still putting out between 6 and 7 volts.
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:06 AM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
Doesn't number 6 say a voltage regulator is allowed ?
I use a lipo in my IOM with no voltage regulator fully charged it puts out over 8 volts, after aout 4 hours of sailing it is still putting out between 6 and 7 volts.
Number 6 says that a 'device to indicate the Battery Voltage' is allowed.
A battery voltage indicator is not a voltage regulator.

Brian
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:14 AM
Joined Jan 2006
582 Posts
What about diodes in line with the pack? I usually just put two power diodes in my wiring and call it done. Cheaper and easier than a regulator.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Apr 2007
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577 View Post
What about diodes in line with the pack? I usually just put two power diodes in my wiring and call it done. Cheaper and easier than a regulator.
Still not legal, 2.5 (4) only electric cables, connectors and switches allowed. You could argue on the definition of "cables" but if you solder diodes on them you will have a really hard time in convincing a RD that those a re still "cables".

The only way you cold get away with a voltage regulator, the way the rules are written now is if the regulator is build in the "sheet control unit" or the receiver.

The rule will be most likely emended soon to allow voltage regulators as it happen with the 2.4G receiver, the spectrum is composed of two units, and the way the rule was written before (receiver - singular so only one piece of equipment) had all those spectrum radios not IOM class legal.
gio06226 is offline Find More Posts by gio06226
Old Mar 06, 2012, 02:21 PM
micro scale builder
United States, DC, Washington
Joined May 2008
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wa View Post
Looking for clarification of IOM rules.

Is it legal to use a Lipo and a 'voltage regulator' as an Battery in an IOM yacht.
The last few posts ^^^ seem to indicate this is a gray area (at best). However, you could circumvent the whole regulator issue entirely by using some of the new servos that are designed for a 2S 7.4V lipo...I have installed two in my micro magic to eliminate the weight of a regulator, as well as eliminating a potential failure point.

I know Hitec makes a bunch now and Futaba has a few of their own..not sure about the other big names, but they can't be far behind. Admittedly this option doesn't do you much good if you already have servos, but it could be a viable option for a new build or a restoration.
tmtbiker is online now Find More Posts by tmtbiker
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:28 PM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtbiker View Post
The last few posts ^^^ seem to indicate this is a gray area (at best).
It's only gray to those that want to run a seperate regulator.
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:58 PM
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
An interesting question about the legality of a battery regulator. Its similar to the question on twin receivers and battery indicators, before the question was raised they were technically illegal but everyone used them and most importantly they are not performance enhancing but ever so helpful so IOMICA rightly changed the rules to allow them as they probably would do with regulators.

I know for certain an awful lot of skippers use a capacitor plugged into the receiver, i used to use one myself when i used a digital servo.

Moved to a 2.99 servo from Ebay now and got rid of the capacitor. I also use 4.99 lipo 1300mah LIPO batteries (60g) that i picked up from Ebay. Charger cost 17 from Ken Binks.

It is all very easy when you have a completely dry boat, just dust after a whole days sailing in West Kirby waves.
Graham J Elliott is offline Find More Posts by Graham J Elliott
Last edited by Graham J Elliott; Mar 06, 2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: wrong wording
Old Mar 06, 2012, 04:29 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
851 Posts
Hi Graham,
I watched all the 'A' class racing on both days only managed to get up there once on the Sunday though but never fell out of 'B' fleet so I was happy for an event with such outstanding skippers. I must admit your Grey boat was a struggle for me to see at the far buoys but you have younger eyes than mine
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23
Old Mar 06, 2012, 04:32 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2005
851 Posts
some of the days racing

MYA IOM Ranking Bartley Green Sailing Club 3rd March 2012 (8 min 10 sec)
ToniGe23 is offline Find More Posts by ToniGe23