HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2009, 07:03 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2008
165 Posts
Discussion
WW2 dual leg landing gear

I have a 66" Handley page Hampton 50% completed and I have hit a bit of a wall with the landing gear. Does anyone have any ideas/links to how to make the dual leg landing gear used on WW2 bombers. It does not have to be exact scale etc. I already have the air retract mechanisms fitted into the nacelles. I was going to use single sprung oleo from Hobby city (I know not scale) but they are too long and don't clear the air cylinder anyway. Any help much appreciated.

cheers
AMcC is offline Find More Posts by AMcC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2009, 07:55 PM
TKG
Riverton Wy
Joined Apr 2003
342 Posts
A 5/16 almunium rod. Drill 3 holes in it. Stick the retract leg in the center hole and the strut legs in the outer holes. Use 2 bolt on axles with a brass tubing coupler for the wheel to turn on.
TKG is offline Find More Posts by TKG
Old Jun 30, 2009, 04:01 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
910 Posts
On my long departed Lancaster I just bent the standard Rhom Air 3/16 wire leg 90 deg sideways after the coil then 90 deg down then 90 deg again for the axle. The other leg was just a dummy supported by the cross bracing between the legs. - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Jul 03, 2009, 07:38 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,599 Posts
Hi

Tom Hunt's excellent realisation of twin leg landing gear that might be suitable, with modification, for a HP Hampton.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77588

hth

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jul 03, 2009, 08:35 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,361 Posts
Thanks for the link Brian. I am struggling to come up with with a workable set of semi-scale gear for my GAD Lanc, and so far am 0 for 3. Some fresh ideas are most welcome.

Regards,
Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Jul 03, 2009, 11:19 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,573 Posts
Does it have to be air driven?

Alfa models have a twin leg retract set-up for their Beaufighter which I bashed into a He111.
May be small for a 60" span but the technique is clever.

Phil
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Jul 03, 2009, 12:46 PM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,361 Posts
Phil, the Alpha's are the perfect design for a twin leg set-up, especially an in-line where lateral space is tight. Unfortunately, even paired, they are only good for an AUW of maybe 3 lbs. The Lanc is nearly twice that, and Walts has quit flying his b/c the gear fails every other landing. I also made a set-up with modified DSR units, but Fahim ripped his out of the B26 for the same reason -- at 4 lbs AUW the gears stripped every outing.

I am currently trying to modify a pair of GP 0.10 retracts, but first tests aren't too promising. It's pretty frustrating. I am looking at maybe trying a Robart 600 set modified like Tom's. Apparently the 90 degree bend in the primary leg provides enough give so the struts don't bend. I may have one more go with the GP units before I move to the Robarts.

FWIW,
Jeff
Old Jul 03, 2009, 03:53 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,599 Posts
Jeff

The best small retracts that I've seen are the ones marketed by Flightline, whilst the medium sized ones are perfect as the basis of a set for the HVP Beaufighter, with modification to twin legs.

http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/aeroon...9retracts.html

They are very reasonably priced too - the Beau set that my pal bought was about thirty pounds.
Old Jul 03, 2009, 06:22 PM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,361 Posts
Thanks Brian, I'll check them out. Much appreciated. Jeff
Old Jul 04, 2009, 03:12 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,599 Posts
No probs Jeff - I'll take my camera to club night on Tuesday, on the off chance that my pal has his modified retracts ready for then.