Blaser is offline Find More Posts by Blaser
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,103 Posts
Hopefully we will get a second try if the storms stop coming through.

We are looking at the 11th and the 25th of October. I plan on flying both days so if we can get a group I would love some combat.

This is not our typical Assassin video. This video is more of the Assassin shoot we did on the sWARm Swim event. I have a 3530-1700 kv motor and a 7x6 prop on my Assassin. I am flying with a Pulse 35C 1300 mA 3S battery which is my new favorite. Look for them on E-bay. They can put out 30 amps and stay cool but they are still lightweight.

This plane is one fast and aerobatic little bugger. I have a blast with the set up but don't recommend it for beginners only the certified aeronautically insane. James did a good job keeping the camera on it.

Ballistic Assassin Doing Flat Spins (6 min 24 sec)
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,155 Posts
Lee, that's impressive to say the least. And the way it instantly recovers...just awesome.
viper522 is online now Find More Posts by viper522
Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM
Ft Lauderdale
Joined Sep 2012
156 Posts
Lee, nice video.
Just setting up a 3 pack
of Pinatas with that motor
and LEDs for 'club members'.
Nice to see that Assassin flipping
around like that and now I will
put that combo on my rebuild
Assassin too.
Number_6 is offline Find More Posts by Number_6
Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
617 Posts
Had my Assassin mostly finished for a while and then elevon & heat issues caused me lots of headaches. Rather than recounting the Tale of Woe and Despair, I will describe what worked.

Dang Near Bulletproof Elevon Attachment
1. Elevons dressed in doculam that came with the kit, 2x. Nice & rigid, yet resilient.

2.Clean surfaces on elevon & around TE of wing with acetone & rag to get off all grease/oil that may have accumulated. Let dry.

3. Cut 4x strips of doculam, ~2" wide and as long as elevons.

4. Measure on elevon and TE area of wing where doculam strips will be and lightly mark extent.

5. Use Foam-Tac and scrape a very thin layer top of one elevon where doculam will rest, but no farther. Wait 30sec.

6. Iron doculam on elevon nice and gently until doculam adhesive fully activated. (Goes from opaque to clear with my doculam.)

7. Scrape very thin layer of Foam-Tac on top of wing where doculam hinge will anchor. Wait 30sec.

8. Join up elevon to TE of wing in full/mostly full "down position.

9. Iron doculam on to wing TE area gently until adhesive fully activated.

10. Repeat for other elevon.

11. Do similar for undersides of elevon.

Tried this sort of join (doculam+Foam-Tac) on a bit of scrap and separating them required destruction.

==========================

Oh, and here are three pics of my Assassin:

I built my Assassin to spec, with a couple minor changes.

Emax CF2812 39gram 1600kv
22amp ESC
2x T-pro MG90 servos
APC 7x6 electric prop

Changes:
1. Brushed the EPP with Marine Goop diluted with Zylene to ensure laminate stuck to EPP. Very thin. Used maybe 1/10 the tube of Marine Goop.

2. Used v-tail / elevon hardware mixer as my DX6i was not liking the mix instructions. (Had to send in my DX6i to get fixed as it went on the fritz, so maybe that was why.)

3. 1000mah 3S lipo.

Observations:
1. Tail heavy.
Needed 316grains / 0.686oz / 20.5grams of lead in the lipo bay to get CG right. Why 316grains? Because I had some hard cast 158gr .357" diam semi-wadcutters on hand. One was not enough to get stability. FTR, the difference in mass between the 1000mah 3S I use and the same lipo in 1300mah is 27grams. So, a 1300mah lipo would have gotten the CG to a happy place by itself.

2. Cruises w/o altitude loss at ~3/4 throttle.
Relative to other models I have used this power system on the Assassin is a bit poky. Flies nice, does loops, but not the acceleration or top end I have gotten from my scratch builds with this system--which is my favorite parkflyer power setup. Need to weigh it to see if it is within reason or bloated. Addendum: New lipos in place of the 9 month old lipos made quite a difference. Gave it the oomph it needed to go from "ok" to "fun" pefformance.

3. Stall-resistant.
Gotta work at it. When it does stall, it is not all that bad, though. Easily recovered.

4. Loses stability at slow speeds.
Lacks stability when moving slow or when doing quick rolls (Bobbles a bit on recovery from a quick roll.) More winglet or more toe-in--or elevons tapered thin toward motor, thicker toward winglets to give it some washout when reflex is dialed in.

5. Hella tough.
As long as you bring extra props, you can do all sort of foolish things with it and it will live to tell the tale.

6. Get roughly 5min of flight time.
Leaving 15-20% sill in lipo.

7. Glide is not so great.
It doesn't glide like a rock, but relative to my scratchbuilt wings, it seeks mother earth much more quickly.

8. Overall flight performance is good. It is definitely geared toward a slower, combat-style of flight. It has no bad habits. Aerobatic without being too fast.

=========================

I can heartily recommend this Assassin kit. Actually, I would suggest the 3-fer Assassin kit. Build the first to spec. Build the second for speed. Keep the third kit as a backup. Don't be afraid to let a buddy fly it on your buddy box or to let a new pilot try their thumbs on it. Given its robust nature, this would be a really good second aileron/elevon plane for a relative new flyer.

==========================

Looking at other Assassin products, I think what intrigues me most are the Scythe and Widowmaker. The Widowmaker is more like my scratchbuilds. It may be more lively and glide-y than the Assassin with the same power train. And the Scythe has almost the same power train (custom 4" prop) with smaller dimensions.
roo_ster is online now Find More Posts by roo_ster
Last edited by roo_ster; Today at 05:46 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM
United States, CA, Manteca
Joined Mar 2013
653 Posts
I would guess that your flight results are that of a heavy assassin for that motor. It's a pretty small motor for that weight. Use a 1300 or a 1800 battery and 50-70g motor and you will have much better results. Then get rid of the lead!
sr175 is online now Find More Posts by sr175
Old Today, 06:43 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,103 Posts
The Assassin is a fat airfoil that has a gentle stall, high lift but is like a CUB and has low penetration. If you want high penetration and longer glide with a thinner airfoil fly the Widowmaker. They are the same shape but have totally different envelopes of performance.

Interestingly with the motor running they are hard to tell apart.

Fins improve slow speed control but I like my Assassins that are flying without the fins too. The plane has a lot of personality without the fins. I would guess that about a third of flyers are building with fins around here.

Overpowering the plane is a lot of fun but don't start with an overpowered heavy plane. In the video you will see the plane almost sizzles as it is going through the air. It feels fast and up is just another direction I can go as far as I want. I tend to fly close and fast with a lot of hard maneuvers which is real exciting and I don't feel like I need more speed which would decrease my flight time.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Today, 05:43 PM
Standing Athwart History
Joined Mar 2011
617 Posts
Flew my assassin today with new 3s 1000mah lipos. 50c like the 9 month old lipos i was using. Much better performance. More fun less poky. Will edit post above.

Also had an encounter with a tree. Managed to whack a cedar elms canopy going up at 45deg. It slapped down my assassin butt first into the ground. Broke the tip off my prop depite prop saver. Had another apc 7x6 electric prop. Three minutes later i was up in the air again. Will save bunged prop for a future scythe build.

With the improved performance i was smiling more.
Old Today, 09:26 PM
United States, CA, Manteca
Joined Mar 2013
653 Posts
Is the tree ok?
sr175 is online now Find More Posts by sr175
Old Today, 09:32 PM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,193 Posts
Oh, Lee, I was at the eWeek, and FliteTest was there, Josh B. saw my assassin as I was walking to the flight line and asked if it was the assassin, and I told him that it was, and I asked him if he wanted to fly it, and of course he did. So, I tossed it up in the air for him, and he was instantly impressed with how well it tracked, and how stable it was under fast flight and slow flight with the wingtips designed the way that they are. He seemed to really love it, and after we were done flying, he was asking how it was constructed and such and seemed impressed that it was only lam film and EPP for the most part, and proceeded to show it to the rest of the crew.

Just another example of how great of a flyer these things are!!
nightfox7 is online now Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Today, 10:11 PM
Standing Athwart History
Joined Mar 2011
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr175 View Post
Is the tree ok?
The cedar elm is none the worse for wear.