HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 02, 2010, 12:41 PM
Registered User
n001pa's Avatar
Wichita, Ks.
Joined Feb 2004
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post

What....... You think those hot babes and that awesome plane is better than a nude B-36D with out any aluminum

Tell me it is not so.....

Rock On!
Dag
I can't help it, I love the Rebublic Rainbow! I didn't even notice the girls.
n001pa is offline Find More Posts by n001pa
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2010, 12:51 PM
Registered User
n001pa's Avatar
Wichita, Ks.
Joined Feb 2004
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
This forum is really funny.

Just had a guy e-mail some awesome accessories links for H2's, and what he did to his H2 to get better gas mileage. I may have to look at what he did to his. I had no idea there was so much stuff out there for H2's. As I think many of you know I only need a vehicle to pull a trailer, and to go back and forth to the airport. I only put about 5-8,000 miles a year on a vehicle. My Avalanche was needed so I could pull a trailer, I got about 19 on the highway, and about 14 in the city. Pulling a trailer about 14 highway, and 11 city. The Hummer pulling my trailer gets about 13 Highway and 12 city. So as you can see when pulling a trailer no big deal, and that is at 64mph with CC on.

I had no idea there were H2 forums, and guys here following both.

It is cool how many here really care about my well-being.

Thanks!
Dag
I only wish I could get that kind of milage pulling a trailer. Pulling a motorcycle trailer back from Arizona, I averaged around 6. Of course that's with my coach, which gets around 8-10 average the rest of the time. That's why I am building up my old '84 Ford with a 300 ci six cylinder in it. There is a local guy here that has dynoed his truck at more than 400 hp and still gets better than 20 on the highway.

I am sending you an email about the drawings as well. I just need to find a small inclosed trailer that I can pull behind my pickup in which to store it once built. I wish I could find one of the old used Uhaul trailers. Anybody have any suggestions?
n001pa is offline Find More Posts by n001pa
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 02, 2010, 03:38 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n001pa View Post
I only wish I could get that kind of milage pulling a trailer. Pulling a motorcycle trailer back from Arizona, I averaged around 6. Of course that's with my coach, which gets around 8-10 average the rest of the time. That's why I am building up my old '84 Ford with a 300 ci six cylinder in it. There is a local guy here that has dynoed his truck at more than 400 hp and still gets better than 20 on the highway.

I am sending you an email about the drawings as well. I just need to find a small inclosed trailer that I can pull behind my pickup in which to store it once built. I wish I could find one of the old used Uhaul trailers. Anybody have any suggestions?
Ebay....
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 02, 2010, 04:18 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Grejen's Avatar
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
<clip>
Thanks, Dag

And don't give me any heat about flying over the houses. My neighbors all love my planes, and I only fly foam planes at the house.
At first I was thinking your pretty brave to fly around so many tall trees and then I see the precision flying and sense of control exuded from the planes behaviour. Skills man.. skills! Did you even get over a house?

I'm betting your neighbours love watching the flying, not the planes.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 02, 2010, 11:39 PM
War Eagle!
sneasle's Avatar
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,923 Posts
I was seeing a lot of resistor talk back a few pages where it almost appeared as if watts and ohms were being used interchangeably. Please be careful with that, they are not the same, not by a long shot.

Yes, your caps will be fine, they will charge up to whatever voltage your batteries are at. As long as the battery voltage is below the rating listed, you should be fine (not considering any sort of transient spikes from some kind of back emf, which shouldn't happen, so don't even worry about them.)

For the cap charge circuit, see attached diagram.

A 50V battery bus on a 1kOhm resistor would give a 50mA charge current and need a resistor of ~2.5W in power rating, a bit large, but doable. This rating (1kOhm) is the smallest I would recommend.

You can go higher, by all means use a larger value (in Ohms) as it will allow you to use a smaller resistor in terms of power rating (cheaper), just keep in mind that a larger resistor (Ohms) will take longer to charge up the capacitor bank.

V=IR, It's the law (I have that printed on my business cards, no joke.)


edit:

DAG, sent you an email, I'm in the Ohio area through Sunday and I've got the prototype with me if you want to see it. Not sure how your week is looking with the event Sat., but I'll be in the Dayton area by 11am or so tmrw and will be there till sometime Sunday as my senior design team competes here:http://www.ion.org/satdiv/alc/

Our entry:
http://picasaweb.google.com/hydesea/AutoMow#

If anyone here is local to the area, feel free to stop by and say hi.
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
Last edited by sneasle; Jun 02, 2010 at 11:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2010, 01:10 AM
Registered User
United States, GA, Gainesville
Joined Aug 2008
54 Posts
Hi
The cap charge circuit will work to prevent large sparks but I read somewhere in another thread that there is a possible problem when it is used with certain brands of ESC's. From memory, the ESC will initiate its startup sequence before the caps have fully charged to the battery voltage and as a result a lower cutoff point for the low voltage cutoff will be set into the ESC than the number of cells in the battery would warrant.
This will not be a problem if you never fly long enought to drain the battery to a low level or use a type of ESC that sets the low voltage cutoff point via an initial setup program.
Just wanted to make you aware of this in case it applies to any of your projects.

John W.
acrorc is offline Find More Posts by acrorc
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2010, 01:25 AM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n001pa View Post
Okay Dag, nothing personal but this is the best post yet in this thread!
Agreed, after 500 pages, definitley the post of posts.

Maybe Dag can do similar with the B36, but it will take a few more foxy ladies to hold up his bird..... bonus for us LOL !!
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2010, 01:30 AM
I'd Rather Be Flying
RCBlackSheep's Avatar
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrorc View Post
Hi
The cap charge circuit will work to prevent large sparks but I read somewhere in another thread that there is a possible problem when it is used with certain brands of ESC's. From memory, the ESC will initiate its startup sequence before the caps have fully charged to the battery voltage and as a result a lower cutoff point for the low voltage cutoff will be set into the ESC than the number of cells in the battery would warrant.
This will not be a problem if you never fly long enought to drain the battery to a low level or use a type of ESC that sets the low voltage cutoff point via an initial setup program.
Just wanted to make you aware of this in case it applies to any of your projects.

John W.
I can see why that would happen. However, will setting the ESC to look for a set number of cells instead of auto detecting the number of cells, fix that? That way the ESC is looking for the correct voltage before initiating the start-up sequence instead of initiating the start-up when it sees any voltage that seems to be the correct for the ESC in autodetect.
RCBlackSheep is offline Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2010, 01:31 AM
Registered User
ErcoupeEd's Avatar
United States, IN, Grabill
Joined May 2004
1,524 Posts
Hi Dag!
hHey, I'm not knocking you, but that Corsair needs a radial engine sound system!
By the way, being able to fly off the street out front of your house is cool!
Wow, what the B36 would sound like with the sound of six big radials running!!!
What's a few more ounces?

Ed
ErcoupeEd is offline Find More Posts by ErcoupeEd
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2010, 05:54 AM
It only takes one good idea
dag214's Avatar
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Hey all,
Little set back, as you know everything is weight on this project. The small circuit board I made for my caps is a heavy turd. So I am going to plan "B", what plan "B" is I have no idea yet. And just an FYI, I see a bunch about resistor, I am only fly 6 cells on this bird, do I really care, I could see if it was my 1919 with 10 or 12 cells, but 6 cells??

Also today I am slammed with work again, and tonight I have to start getting set up for the RC Airshow this weekend. I am making a APU cart, I bought a small (in size not in price) Honda generator that will be powering a deep cycle 12v marine battery. I wish I could see that the end is near with all the money I keep dumping into this hobby, but I just can't see it. What will be cool is I can get about 5-10 charges of the deep cycle 12v, then when needed I just fire up the generator. In all I will have a $3,000.00 in the APU with the power system, and chargers. And if I am ever at a RC event and anyone needs power for their chargers I will be the guy. My generator can top of my 12v deep cycle at 15 amps. Basically I have a Generator, Car Battery Smart Charge that will charge at 2-10-15 amps, 12v deep cycle battery, my power ports, and then my chargers, and a 100' extension if I want to leave the generator back by the trailer.

Rock on!
Dag

It is amazing how dumb these oil people are. To stop the leak is easy, but no one wants to think outside the box. If you take a Kevlar Balloon pack it tight like a airbag on a car, then push it down about 500 yards into the well, then set off a couple of nitrogen cartages at letís say 200PSI, and BAMB! Leaked stopped.
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2010, 06:29 AM
It only takes one good idea
dag214's Avatar
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grejen View Post
At first I was thinking your pretty brave to fly around so many tall trees and then I see the precision flying and sense of control exuded from the planes behaviour. Skills man.. skills! Did you even get over a house?

I'm betting your neighbours love watching the flying, not the planes.
I know I have said this before, but I have always been a better flier than a building. Last year we had some fun where we had a kid with 2 flags acting like he was guiding me in for a landing like on a carrier. We where all having a blast and each kid took turns, some knew that it was their skill at the flags that made me have such a good landing. In the 6 years of flying of the street I have only had one problem. At the 4th airshow about 5 years ago I would go up about 200' and do a flat spin, I would have all the kids count, if I made it to 10 I hit my goal, well I did not get enough altitude and on my 10th spin I knew I had really screwed up and let myself get way to low, so I parked my biplane in the tree across the street, just pulled the landing gear off, and with some hot glue was flying the next day. The reason for the next was I went up the tree and got the plane, but it was the next day that my son went back up the tree and found the landing gear. Needless to say, I go much higher now, and safety is always 110% first with me and flying. And if I do ever get over any houses, it is only 2, and they love my planes and kids.

I see many that can just fly a plane, but I notice many let the plane fly them, if you cannot keep heading on ground roll you need more practice. If you cannot land on a spot 20' in length, you need more practice. I am a big nerd and for a long time kept count of how many flights I have flown, I quit counting at about 2520, that might not sound like a lot for flying 30 years, but it is a bunch, if my math is right, about .23 times a day is what is averages out to. I just love to fly.

Rock Onward

Dag
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2010, 06:35 AM
Old Submariner
United States, WI, Milton
Joined Dec 2007
595 Posts
Oil Leak & Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post


Rock on!
Dag

It is amazing how dumb these oil people are. To stop the leak is easy, but no one wants to think outside the box. If you take a Kevlar Balloon pack it tight like a airbag on a car, then push it down about 500 yards into the well, then set off a couple of nitrogen cartages at let’s say 200PSI, and BAMB! Leaked stopped.

Good idea Dag, but at the depth they are working at the sea pressure is over 2000 lbs/sq in. Sea water is 44.4 lbs/per sq in per 100 feet.

Tom
teeceeveecee is offline Find More Posts by teeceeveecee
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2010, 06:41 AM
It only takes one good idea
dag214's Avatar
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeceeveecee View Post
Good idea Dag, but at the depth they are at the sea pressure is over 2000 lbs/sq in. Sea water is 44.4 lbs/per sq per 100 feet.

Tom
But correct me if I am wrong, I know that the pressure is huge, but is there not a state that the forces become equal as your against an opposing force? When I say 200PSI I meant over what other outside force is present, that is why I said Kevlar, I know it may be a stupid idea, But I have seen Kevlar used at incredible loads.

But I may have just inadvertently derail my thread again.

Rock on!
Dag
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2010, 06:55 AM
Registered User
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Sep 2009
40 Posts
Dag, some years ago, I was using a 32 cell nicd pack for one of my planes, at the field I used a 12v, deep cycle marine battery like you. I could get about 2 charges and then it took forever to get the third. I was messing around one day and put my astro watt meter between the 12v batt and my charger(SR smart charger) during a charge, it showed a 23 amp draw on the 12v batt. I then knew why I was only getting a couple of charges, out of the batt before needing a recharge. I was charging at 5-6 amps for the pack.
Just something to think about
Bob
BobRickey is offline Find More Posts by BobRickey
Last edited by BobRickey; Jun 03, 2010 at 07:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2010, 07:11 AM
It only takes one good idea
dag214's Avatar
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRickey View Post
Dag, some years ago, I was using a 32 cell nicd pack for one of my planes, at the field I used a 12v, deep cycle marine battery like you. I could get about 2 charges and then it took forever to get the third. I was messing around one day and put my astro watt meter between the 12v batt and my charger(SR smart charger) during a charge, it showed a 23 amp draw on the 12v batt. I then knew why I was only getting a couple of charges, out of the batt before needing a recharge. I was charging at 5-6 amps for the pack.
Just something to think about
Bob

I know what you mean, my 4 6600 packs for my 1919 pulls my 12 volt down after 4 charges. That is why I have a gen-set with a AC battery charger to keep my Deep Cycle topped off. At SEFF I saw many cool gen-set set-ups. I tested the set-up on Monday in my garage. I will have 3 chargers that will draw on my 12v, and the gen-set to keep my 12v charged. I am wondering if I can pull more than my 15 amp car battery charger can keep my 12v charged at. My Gen-set will put out 16 amps at 120volts continuously. So the test will be will I pull more out of the 12v deep cycle battery than my gen-set can keep up with. Remember I only fly my big stuff about 4-5 times in a 8-10 hours day. So the charger will have all day to keep working.

Rock ON!
Dag
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good B-36 site (drawing with cross sections, too!) Thomas B Scale Kit/Scratch Built 26 Oct 11, 2011 10:14 PM
Discussion B-36 B-52 kgmorris Scale Kit/Scratch Built 20 Jan 02, 2009 07:27 AM
b-36 dorysch1 Scale Kit/Scratch Built 32 Feb 01, 2004 09:33 PM
Questions about my wally B-36...I'm new to foam. Boba_Fett Foamies (Kits) 8 Jun 11, 2002 04:36 PM
B 36 Trobber Parkflyers 3 Dec 30, 2001 01:33 PM