SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 28, 2009, 05:59 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,829 Posts
Finnaly got to the vec jet xt again

did some more mods

added carbon tubes to dirrectly flow over the esc, I will check for battery temp after maiden
put a 6200 rx in the back but as far away as i could from the esc
added some clay in the nose

4 cell purfectly balances and 3 cell requires some extra clay
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Last edited by David22; Jun 28, 2009 at 07:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2009, 08:57 PM
Nova Scotia
Joined Mar 2002
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22
Finnaly got to the vec jet xt again

did some more mods

added carbon tubes to dirrectly flow over the esc, I will check for battery temp after maiden
put a 6200 rx in the back but as far away as i could from the esc
added some clay in the nose

4 cell purfectly balances and 3 cell requires some extra clay
Aren't you diverting cooling airflow away from your battery? haven't had any ESC problems on mine the way it is, just my 2 cents worth
cheers'
Bolter
Bolter is offline Find More Posts by Bolter
Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:39 AM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,829 Posts
No I am cooling the esc not the battery and reinforcing the plane at the same time.

The battery does not need cooling
Old Jun 29, 2009, 03:38 AM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,829 Posts
I maidened the vecjet-xt today and will for sure give this two thumbs up.

Thank for selling me such a cool plane, everyone at my club said I broke the speed record with it for that club. I have much faster planes hehehe

That material it is made out of is incredible. Battery comes down nice and warm due to the small prop. and 60c battery. Motor also does not over heat.
I tried to bust up the stock esc but had no luck. very proud of the little 36 stock esc.

Thanks again not only did everyone watching love your plane but it made my day. Wish I maidened it a long time ago.

If you ever make a 60 size one let me know, it would be a very interesting plane.

For sure kicks a styrkers arss

Hand launch and hand catch not that hard.

David22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
David-

It's not gonna fly out of your hand.. The prop is too small to develop that kinda thrust.. You may wind up with a busted VJ..

I'd love to see 4S on this bird.. It would absolutely move.. That's for sure..

The review of the XT is up: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=vecjet

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Old Jun 29, 2009, 04:12 AM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,829 Posts
Here is a video I made of the VecJet-xt today.

Very cool plane!

VecJet-XT 3 and 4 cells Stock - Very fast Delta plane, as simple as ABC (7 min 6 sec)
Old Jul 09, 2009, 01:22 PM
Athens, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,669 Posts
Try one!

For those of you waiting on wings or jet type planes that will not be available any time soon, the VecJet is here and available now. If you haven't tried it yet, you will not be disappointed! It is fast, stable, and fun to fly!
ekotil is offline Find More Posts by ekotil
Old Aug 25, 2009, 01:33 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,537 Posts
Video of Vecjet Crashing!!!

I happened to be filming when my buddy sent his Vecjet in on it's last spin cycle. I wish all my crashes were caught on film. It would bring back the roller coaster of emotions that comes with having a very bad crash:
->->->

Vecjet RC Plane Crash (2 min 35 sec)

Sorry for your loss Brian. I'm sure the next one will be that much better.

Cheers,
Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Mar 03, 2010, 01:02 AM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,537 Posts
My Birthday Present

Brian got me a very nice birthday gift last Sunday, so now I'm part of the Vec' club! Anyhow, I'm sharing my thoughts on the assembly of this marvelous fun flyer, as well as a few pics. Overall assembly was a pleasing experience; New Dimensions gets 5*'s on this one! Nevertheless, no plane is a perfect 6*'s, so I'll also fill you guys in on the 2 very minor issues I had with assembly. A flight report will follow shortly.

The first issue I found during assembly, and it was a very minor one, had to do with the fiberglass nose insert. It created a 1/16" step inside the battery compartment flooring, which made sliding the battery in toward the nose quite tricky. I fixed that problem by fastening 2 layers of my AR6110e's packaging plastic over the step with strapping tape, to act as a smooth ramp for the front bottom corner of the battery to get over the step.

The second problem was the cooling nostrils in the nose were not cut out. The foam did have cutouts for the nostrils, but they were hidden by the black LE covering, and the fiberglass reinforcement was not penetrated either. I cut the covering with my razor to expose the glass, and used a dremel to grind the holes through to the battery bay. Had I not done this... well, let's just say Brian and I have seen a few expensive lipos puff in a similar situation where nostrils were accidentally "clogged". Anyhow, cutting nostrils out is a nit picky thing. Still, I feel New Dimensions should have done this, as some customers might not realize the import roll those holes play in keeping their lipos from puffing.

If you know me, I never ever leave well enough alone. The factory control rods were completely adequate, but I couldn't sleep at night knowing there was room for improvement. Besides, I do carbon rods on all planes I like flying, and I've flown a Vecjet before. So it was a given; this thing had to have tit's rods. Each of the factory rods weighed averaged 5gm, good for 20gm total. My carbon rods weighed 5gm altogether; so 4 for the price of 1, plus they're stiffer. FYI I found the carbon tube the vectoring rod stiff enough by itself, so I cut the 2 business ends off the metal rod and fused them to the carbon tube with Kevlar/epoxy.

Cheers,
Kev
Old Mar 04, 2010, 12:31 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Nov 2008
24 Posts
Hi Kev, Brian...

Nice pics. I hear you about the small step in the nose... will try to fix that.

Re the nostril cutouts, we only open those on the XT because of the much higher current draw and significantly higher battery temps. But, we also cut a large opening at the rear of the battery compartment hatch for exit air... rule of thumb is the exit opening must be at least 3X the inlet holes. It's okay if you want to go ahead and open them up on the VecJet-Classic, but it won't do any cooling unless you make a large exit hole. We've verified this experimentally as well. Hope this helps...

Dale
NewDirections is offline Find More Posts by NewDirections
Old Mar 04, 2010, 10:20 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,848 Posts
I opened the nostril cutouts on My PF Vecjet as it get quit warm here in Arizona so any cooling we do here helps. I have flown it both ways but it's just peace of mind for me.

Jim
eliworm is offline Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Mar 04, 2010, 11:15 AM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,829 Posts
I put carbon tubes sticking out the hole for cooling

and it goes all the way to the esc

so the air is dirrect cooling

the esc is the only thing needing cooling

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=76

makes it much more crash resistant as well
Old Mar 05, 2010, 12:03 AM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,537 Posts
Dale, I was thinking along the same lines as Jim. A 2000mAh pack at 17A doesn't need much cooling, but it gets well over 100F in the valley during summer, so every bit of air movement helps. The nostrils do create a positive pressure, so some air will move. There are also passages for air under and between the servos, which lead to an exit behind the esc. While it's not optimal, it probably meets the "5mph airflow" spec that Castle arbitrarily throws in their esc manual. The step in the fiberglass should be pretty easy & cheap to fix during construction; thin plastic and reinforced tape works perfectly.

I also thought about adding an epp bumper in front of the battery to absorb impact in the event of a nose dive, but I figured it would just be easier to not nose dive. Seriously though, Vecjets land so slow that there really isn't much of an excuse for a hard landing.

Kev
Old Mar 05, 2010, 01:17 AM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,829 Posts
you will be drawing the heat from the battery past the esc and not cool it as well as would a drinking straw or carbon tube, which is positioned right infront of the esc

actually connected to the esc, so the air passes right through it

your battery will not over heat, heat is a good thing for the battery anyways
Old Mar 26, 2010, 08:55 PM
Joined Sep 2008
45 Posts
Anybody know what happened to newdirections domain? I wanted to order a spare airframe and it looks like I can't now...
DanReidy is offline Find More Posts by DanReidy
Old Mar 26, 2010, 09:21 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,848 Posts
I talked to Dale earlier and he has decided to close shop do to other things going on. I do not know if he will be supporting the line of planes already out. The Vecjet is fun to fly too, it would be nice if it comes out again in the future.

Jim
eliworm is offline Find More Posts by eliworm