HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2014, 09:02 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
I'm not certain if I've posted these images before or not, but I had an inquiry from a guy about the Great Planes gear box, so I thought I'd post these that shows installation (thought the instruction sheet has pretty much the same images).

As can be seen in the images, I've wrapped the motor and gear box with nylon filament "strapping" tape to protect from marking from the pliers.

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2014, 01:16 AM
flying at SCMAC
Australia, SA, Hindmarsh Island
Joined Apr 2013
645 Posts
2 sirens on the slope here at the bluff south australia-( video to follow)
chris bought a second hand one, we replaced 2 servos, and made ailerons run separately instead of a y lead, ironed out all the wrinkles , some work on the motor and tidy up and she flew ok, lift was ok but a bit light for the bluff
ask21flyer is offline Find More Posts by ask21flyer
Old Dec 01, 2014, 02:32 AM
flying at SCMAC
Joined Apr 2013
645 Posts
chris picked up a second hand siren, after some fixing up we went to the bluff for a test fly, it flew well even with chris's arrival at landing
i am flying the siren that is following chris's in the video
Great Planes Sirens x2 sloping at the bluff (2 min 36 sec)
Old Dec 01, 2014, 05:04 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
25,389 Posts
~*Siren Dance*~

That looks like heaps of fun...

Ok... 'cept the ending

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Dec 01, 2014, 05:54 AM
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,128 Posts
Great video. Thanks for sharing.

Off to buy a Siren !

My LHS has a few in stock.
mrfirkin is online now Find More Posts by mrfirkin
Old Dec 01, 2014, 07:45 AM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
2,023 Posts
Do you slope with the battery, motor and esc? I see the prop.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Dec 01, 2014, 07:47 AM
flying at SCMAC
Joined Apr 2013
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
Do you slope with the battery, motor and esc? I see the prop.
yes we do but the motor doesnt get used
Old Dec 01, 2014, 08:16 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,389 Posts
...but is sure comes in handy if you duff your approach or stall-out somewhere etc.

BJ
Old Dec 16, 2014, 03:38 AM
flying at SCMAC
Joined Apr 2013
645 Posts
flew the siren in 40 knots at the bluff today, big lift and a bit turbulent, happy to land it one piece, it did handle the conditions quite well

Great planes Siren slope soaring in 40 knts at the bluff (2 min 52 sec)
Last edited by ask21flyer; Dec 16, 2014 at 03:58 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 07:19 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetbombing View Post
I'm constantly trying new stuff to see what I like and what I don't like. Helis are more my thing, and foamies with lots of control authority, but I had a stripped down Siren given to me for free with the tail snapped off, so I fixed it up with some fiberglass and epoxy, a Turnigy SK3 Gliderdrive 980kv motor, YEP 45A ESC, some really nice Savox digital metal-gear servos, added a rudder, somehow got the CG as far forward as 75mm with two 2200mah 3s batteries stuffed all the way forward, and went flying. AUW was just under 1,200 grams. The flight lasted about 90 seconds until it stalled and spun in, snapping the nose off and put a little crack in the horizontal stab in a pancake landing. I was at a decent altitude and it did almost three turns; it didn't want to exit the spin.

I'm not a newbie by any means, but I don't have much time with high wing-loading planes. I have about fifty hours flying real gliders, and even the high performance ones are pretty forgiving flyers. The Siren was miserable in slow flight! I tried the little HobbyKing Kinetic 815 and hated that immediately. I'm afraid my Siren attempt was a bust, too - I'm not sure if I like this type of flying.

It was REALLY a PIA to fit everything in there. I'm trying to decide if I want to bother fixing it or not.

Is that just how these fly??
Update: I had originally thought the problem was wing loading, but it was absolutely aft CG. I had added a carbon-fiber rudder, and I used good quality metal-geared micro servos - two of them in the tail. I like having the rudder, but if I had it to do over again I'd put the rudder servo near the back of the battery compartment and run a pushrod to keep the weight further forward. I didn't know how the CG would work out when I first built it. I ended up with some additional washers under the spinner for ballast and a bunch of epoxy I had used to repair the nose. Now it flies heavy, but fast, and the bad stall tenancies seem to be gone.

Anyway, the empty airplane weighs exactly 1kg. Two 2200mah 3s batteries pushed ALL the way forward total +400g. It was geared wrong with the 12x6 prop - it's much, much better with the 11x8. I get about 11 minutes of motor-on time using the two 2200mah batteries. It's fun, but I built it around the 3s batteries I already had. I feel like a single-battery 4s setup, with some slightly lighter servos and without the need for ballast would be much hotter. That GliderDrive motor fits PERFECTLY, by the way.

It is what it is. Still not TOTALLY my kind of flying, but it's fun now. I do like it, and I'm going to keep it.
Carpetbombing is offline Find More Posts by Carpetbombing
Old Dec 16, 2014, 09:45 PM
Joined Jun 2009
25,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ask21flyer View Post
flew the siren in 40 knots at the bluff today...
Wilde Ride

BJ