HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2014, 08:08 AM
Joined Oct 2014
13 Posts
Discussion
(UK) What frequencies do i need to go long distance fpv

It seems that all the good penetrating frequencies in the UK have been banned, so what would you recommend for me to get?
Thanks
Willhi754 is offline Find More Posts by Willhi754
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:36 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,063 Posts
What distance and altitude do you want?

Have you tried a high gain helical antenna? If you don't fly behind hills or buildings they are the best for long range.
VAS 5.8GHz Helical overview (4 min 2 sec)

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Oct 19, 2014, 02:47 PM
Joined Oct 2014
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
What distance and altitude do you want?

Have you tried a high gain helical antenna? If you don't fly behind hills or buildings they are the best for long range. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-WKT...aXc2mN2f82j1DA

Yeah , unfortunately I will be looking to be flying behind buildings and trees , altitude wise I'm not really going to crazy and getting in flight paths so I'll be staying relatively low I'm starting from scratch so I need to buy my controller video transmitter so everything basically
Old Oct 19, 2014, 04:09 PM
United Kingdom, England, Darwen
Joined Aug 2007
595 Posts
If your going behind buildings etc 5.8 won't cut it 2.4 will just at a scratch where 1.2\1.3 will punch through walls etc best ones are rmrc 1.2 800 MW
mark the shark is offline Find More Posts by mark the shark
Old Oct 19, 2014, 04:45 PM
Joined Oct 2014
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark the shark View Post
If your going behind buildings etc 5.8 won't cut it 2.4 will just at a scratch where 1.2\1.3 will punch through walls etc best ones are rmrc 1.2 800 MW
Okay thanks,I thought 1.2/1.3 and 800mw were all banned in the uk and all that was available to us was 5.8 ,or should I just risk it? Also what controller should I get for long range fpv?

Thanks
Old Oct 19, 2014, 06:05 PM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Apr 2005
900 Posts
How far is "long range" in your case?
Bearded Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Bearded Flyer
Old Oct 19, 2014, 06:15 PM
Joined Oct 2014
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearded Flyer View Post
How far is "long range" in your case?
3 to 4 miles

Thanks
Old Oct 19, 2014, 08:20 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,335 Posts
What will you be flying and behind how many buildings ? I can Fly a quad on 5.8 all around the house and through many trees. If you are just begining long range is not goi g to happen soon, you can buy a goggle set on 5.8 and see what it can do. If you go lower freq later you can use it as a relay so nothng lost.
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2014, 04:02 PM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willhi754 View Post
It seems that all the good penetrating frequencies in the UK have been banned, so what would you recommend for me to get?
Thanks
And its also not legal to fly beyong the range of unaided visual sight .........
srnet is online now Find More Posts by srnet
Old Oct 20, 2014, 04:16 PM
Joined Aug 2007
595 Posts
Tbh ATM, this topic maybe not be best discussed CAA are already going through YouTube videos we don't want a y more wood on there already blazing fire just google search mate you will find all your anwsers you need..
Old Oct 20, 2014, 04:45 PM
United Kingdom, England, Richmond
Joined Mar 2014
296 Posts
what would happen if i did fly on a 1.2ghz frequency? should be fine right? I fly on 5.8 with a gopro but im just interested.
soupaboy is offline Find More Posts by soupaboy
Old Oct 20, 2014, 05:32 PM
Joined Aug 2007
595 Posts
You will hunted down by a pack of wolves ripped to pieces lol......joking I use 1.2 no problems dont worry just enjoy don't do anything stupid and you will be fine can't be more helpful other than that sorry..
Old Oct 20, 2014, 05:57 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,455 Posts
900MHz is used for mobile phones, 1.2GHz is used for lining aircraft up to runways at large airports. IMO at least stick to the frequencies that are legitimate for video transmission (though neither are legal for mobile/airborne use) and use a power and location that are not likely to cause interference to other users. The less trouble we cause, the more we will be left alone to enjoy our hobby, and we are already fortunate compared to other countries
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Oct 21, 2014, 01:28 AM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
The less trouble we cause, the more we will be left alone to enjoy our hobby, and we are already fortunate compared to other countries
Indeed so.

You would think that consideration of the potential interferance the FPVer could cause to other (legitamate) users of a frequency would be a priority.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 02:53 AM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willhi754 View Post
Thanks
I dont think the were banned, just never allowed in the first place.

If someone somewhere in the World develops a Video transmitter for 1300Mhz, a frequency already allocated for other services in the UK, what do you expect the UK regulators to do ?